Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from you Northern states garage owners. If you like to keep a clean garage, what do you do about all the run-off from the snow and slush on your car when you pull into the garage? Even if your garage floor is sloped a little back to front, how does it get out past the seal on the bottom of the garage door.

I have tried two different versions of those "Park Mats" that are supposed to hold several gallons of water. Neither of them was cheap but they were both [email protected] Lasted about 4 months and started to fall apart, crack, deform, etc.

If you don't care about slush and water in your garage, then just move along back to your homes, there's nothing to see here :wave:

If you hate water all over everything in your garage, what's your solution?

Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
a drain does help if its sloped to the drain! have a 2 car attached garage and the drains do a good job! any execess i use a long handled swegee to push it towards the drain!

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Don't most garages have a slight slant to them to keep the water draining out to the front? That seems to be the case for ours?

Russ

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I live, garage drains are against code unless they go to a holding tank with and oil water seperator.

Yes, the floor is slanted a little. But not enough to keep the water from wandering sideways. Besides, there is a weather seal on the bottom of the door (which works so I don't want to remove it). It's not water-tight bit it does back the water up some.

My garage floor is what it is. I'm not going to rip it out and repour it so I need more ingeneous solutions.

(besides, are these drains under the cars? If so, how do you squeegee water into the drain when the car is in the garage?)

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
I sweep the water out every day. I also purchased a cheap fan at WalMart and keep it running all the time. Helps dry off the floor. Can't wait till spring to hose out the garage.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
We have an even easier way..... we don't drive the TA or the GT durung the winter or when it rains..... no problem with a wet, messy floor.

Of course Sherry's poor big truck has had to sit outside all its life, but it wouldn't fit in our garage anyway.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Wet/dry vac?

I dunno, we haven't parked a car in our garage in years. Too much junk. Now it's an incredibly oversized shed. :freak:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My Grandparents had a garage and it was slanted similar to what you are talking but all I have ever seen in their garage was some type of pan to catch the oil and some water.

I think it might have to do with there location. Portland, Oregon doesn't seem to get as much precip as you are describing.
Squegee, sweeping, and vacuuming are about all I can suggest.
Richard

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Garage

Hey Guys, Hope to shed some light on your "Garage " question. I have been pouring & finishing Concrete for 27yrs now & yes the "slope" as we call it is for drainage. Some on average is a 2" slope from house side to driveway side how ever on ocation we do a 3" slope. And like a couple of you have stated it's that way so you can hose it out. Another cocrete item is the sidewalks infront of your houses if you have one is also sloped from the property side to the street side, Standard is 1/4" per foot [ie 4' walk would be sloped 1"] a 5' walk 1-1/4" and so on. I hope I have answered any questions you were courious about! ZF aka Jeff. PS the "lines you see in the sidewalks are for conrol of cracking so it doesen't "show up as easy" to the eye! Trust me concrete does 3 things It's green when poured,it gets hard & It "CRACKS"
Hope this helps everyone!!Jeff

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Main thing I do before putting car inside , is knock snow from wheelwells , mudflaps , bumpers etc ... Lot less mess that way . I HATE WINTER !!!

·
Vacation Needed
7,577 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
We have an even easier way..... we don't drive the TA or the GT durung the winter or when it rains..... no problem with a wet, messy floor.

Same thing here. Only thing in my garage is my Camaro and it doesn't move on rainy days or in the winter.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I like Rob's idea,just don't use the garage :p

Only thing i could think of is squegee

another temporary thing might be to sprinklekitty litter around the floor to absorbe the water as it comes, and then sweep. (would make it less slippery also)

Don't think your going to run into a cure-all for your situation. As you stated you have a weatherstripping on the floor, this is great to keep water out... but it also does keep water in. You might want to think about the pros and cons of that weather stripping. If anything, you might be able to drill a couple small tiny holes in it to let water seep by more quickly.

Also as stated, installing a little low wattage fan might help also with just making it dry faster.

Other then that, you might just have to deal with it. If your floor isn't slopped enough to drain it all the way, there wont be a magical cure that would attract all the water to the door.

Possibility: not sure on the actually overwall condition of your floor, but you might try 'recoating' the floor with a floor patch and angle it a little bit more towards to the door. - Just another idea.

Might get a little more costly, I sell a 40lb bucket for $22 that can do 22 sf @ 5/8 think. Start with that and just feather it down towars the door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts