Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang
The *Fab Shop* budgets gonna be a lil tight for a few weeks. After looking for almost a year I found a Crew Cab Dually! :thumbsup: I wanted one like I had when I was racing back in the '70s & 80's. I have a *weak spot* for *round eye* (round sealbeam headlight) crew cabs. Its a 1979 GMC 3500 3+3 Camper Special Sierra Classic, powered bt a fresh .060 over 454 and fresh Turbo 400 trans. I need this to pull my 24 foot enclosed trailer for the *big move* Its a moose power wise, and yep I know not to even THNIK about gettin good fuel mileage, unless ya think 8-10 MPG is *good*. :D

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
WOW!! That's nice Larry!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thats a clean one!!! You don't find them like that around here.
8- 10 mpg's would be great! Mine only gets about 4 mpg's with the trailer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice truck!

I share a similar affliction, and hunted down a low mileage 85 C20 survivor a few years back. Camper special with a 454, th400, and a carburetor. She's thirsty but a great ole tow rig.

There's much to be said about a vehicle where the HEI distributor is the most complex component, and a new body costs the same as a new engine :)

have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
great looking truck. I always liked duallys. but had to talk the wife out of one when we were looking for a truck, could not afford the 40K for the fully dressed 4x4 one she wanded. ended up with a crew cab GMC short bed.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Larry,

Living the dream are we...Yeah!! :woohoo:

Hey my first thought was that an Aurora/AFX Blazer body would be a good donor for a "look a like" slot car or the TOMY GMC pickup like that.

Bob...Keep on Truckin'...zilla

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I can understand the need for the 454 under the hood for pulling a big ole trailer, but if a mid 80's GMC diesel pick up found it's way to me, I'd try to snag it. I had a super clean triple black one about 18 years ago, and driving it hard (65-75 mph) I'd average 22 MPG.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Gang
Thanks for the kind words. Its amazing what a lil cleaning and shakey bombs can do.:thumbsup: Heres a pic the PO sent me before I got it.

Heres a shot taken today (9/21) after ALOT of TLC (and a repop set of headlight bezels & U Pull It grille) along with some paint stripe changes...

After a trip to the shop for some things I cant do anymore, its gettin a topper.:thumbsup:

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Larry that Red ended up in all the right spots!!

Bob...diggin' the red front sway bar...zilla

1 - 18 of 18 Posts