Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It goes without saying that today's act of violence is reprehensible! Whatever happened to worrying about getting to your next class on time? Or cramming for that Biology 101 exam for which you were supposed to be studying--only to have been up half the night drinking and carousing?

This is Kent State revisited! For those of you old enough to remember the Kent State fiasco (1971, I believe) but now we are faced with an answer to the question: WHY?

We can't even send our kids to school anymore, lest we lose them to senseless violence!

Just my .02

-Rick

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out the victims of today's tragedy.

There is a huge difference between this and Kent State though.
Though no less tragic, it's a completely different situation altogether.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
My dad went to VT, this has struck me pretty hard. I've been to the campus several times, and I guess it's jsut more real if you've been there...I came home this afternoon to find a black ribbon pinned to our VT mailbox flag. It was pretty sad, I haven't been this upset about anything in a while.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would compare it to columbine rather than Kent. Kent began as a National Guard response and turned into what it turned into.
This sounds more like a disgruntled student gone mad.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Another sad chapter in the history of education in our country. Guns and violence..slaughter of the innocent, I don't think the second ammendment was designed for this intent. Don't get me wrong I'm not proposing banishing guns just another wacko and the improper use of a gun.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Reddwarf2 said:
I would compare it to columbine rather than Kent. Kent began as a National Guard response and turned into what it turned into.
This sounds more like a disgruntled student gone mad.
Yeah, better analogy. It's wierd...I went to Kent State (20 years after the shootings) and was working a few miles from Columbine High School in Littleton when the shootings there happened..

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
This has been on the TV all day, For some reason this seems disturbing to me, i know this is not a nice thing to say at a moment like this but it is..... :drunk: :drunk:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My thoughts go out to the families of the victims as this had to be a difficult day to anyone associated with the university at Virgina Tech. Walking on my campus here in Charleston to the library this morning did have a different feel to it. Seems like some people have no control whatsoever with their actions and have no remorse for the victims.

Zach

·
Registered
670 Posts
Blaming video games and taking the violence out of them will not do any good and I'm not just advocating that, because I'm a gamer. This student that did this at Virginia Tech had serious issues. The school should have went on locked down right after the 1st shootings. I've cried over this yesterday and today and I don't even know any of the families. This is something the nation will get over with much healing...but will we prevent it from happening in many universities and schools throughout the country? Not likely...If you really care to show your feelings have a minute of silence for these people, they deserve your gratitude. Take your hat off, bow your head and remember to thank your God that your still here. Do all you can to make the best of what life you have. The next second, minute, hour, day, week, month or year might change your life forever. Remember your loved and remember to love others for you never know where tomorrow may lead you.

If you care at all about what happened to these people repost this or send it on to someone you know....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Yes Dr Phil says it was "video games" that caused this. What a goofy thing to say. Millions of people play these games. If it was true that video games caused this, then this would happen hundreds if not thousands of times every day. The only other college shooting was in Texas in the 60's, well before video games. This and many other violence in this country is caused by people on prescribed drugs. And there are plenty of just plain kooks walking around amongst us. This guy was probably a serious nut case. Too easy to just blame it on video games. I am an old man, but I play a few games a week. And the more shoot em up the better I like it. Good way to unwind not to make me want to go out and do it for real. My 2 cents.

My prayers to the victims and families.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Using such an event to promote an agenda is disgusting...it's really sad when something like this happens and the first thing that comes to someon's mind is how they can use it to get something they want.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Games or not there is a problem.

My job requires me to qualify with two weapons and shoot for familiarization with another.
I recently joined a firring range in the city I live in so I could practice when I feel like it.
The younger people that visit the range donot really try to hit the target somuch but like to see how fast they can pull the trigger. It puzzles me what they are thinking when they bring their targets back and see there are no holes in it. It reminds me of a person playing a video game.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I heard some news comments that among more advanced civilized countries this type of problem seems to be primarily occuring America. That begs the question "What is different about us that causes young people to lack respect for the lives of others?"

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
GO-GTO said:
"What is different about us that causes young people to lack respect for the lives of others?"
The guy was a Korean National.
edit: actually I think I heard the radio just say he has lived in the U.S. since he was a kid. I guess we are to blame

johnsreflex said:
Someone needs to take a hard look at violent Video Games. Its getting to be too much of can you top this ( sadly).
Yes, before the violent video games it was the violent music. Before the violent music it was violence on T.V. Before violent T.V. it was violent movies. Before violent movies it was violent comic books.

People just want to blame something else besides themselves.
I enjoy violent video games, music, movies, and yes even violent comic books such as Heavy Metal. I own some of those evil black rifles yet I have never had even the smallest urge to go on a crazy rampage. Now if they ever make a real rifle that uses a mouse and keyboard to shoot I'll be an expert marksman.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
GO-GTO said:
I heard some news comments that among more advanced civilized countries this type of problem seems to be primarily occuring America. That begs the question "What is different about us that causes young people to lack respect for the lives of others?"
Why do you think it's limited only to the young people? The rash of workplace shootings in the last decade seems to indicate that age is not a factor here.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.