Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I live in the Actual "Mayberry" and you can only imagine how many news vans are here. Looks like the superbowl is in town. Either that or the Stones.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't share AG's political view- Howard's either- but he was a good guy; Nobody to replace people like him, sadly.
That was a era we'll never see again.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
The shows with Andy and Barney are some of the best ever made, just good fun. I'll watch the reruns forever. Andy and Barney are gone, so is Goober. Who is left besides Gomer? RIP Sheriff

There was a pharmacy in Vernon Alabama I used to call on in the 90's, the owner/pharmacist had a perfect Mayberry Police Department 1962 Galaxie that he drove to work and parked under a carport many days. Old radio and aerial, gumball light, I wonder if it is still there. The show had a lot of serious fans, still does.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,708 Posts
. . . Nobody to replace people like him, sadly.

Very true. And TV shows nowadays? Will someone, someday, note with deep regret the passing of "Snooki?" I can't fathom it. RIP Andy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What few people remember is Andy started out as a comedian. He used the back woods accent to spin and describe things just strange to a poor ol' country boy. If you can, find a recording of his "What it was, was Football" and "Romeo and Juliet"

Later The gee my age is showing Rockinator

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I knew he was a comedian and I even remember him having a Gospel album out in the mid to late 70's I believe. I also remember him being in the movie,"Make Room for Seargeant." My question is was that before or after his series had started?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I knew he was a comedian and I even remember him having a Gospel album out in the mid to late 70's I believe. I also remember him being in the movie,"Make Room for Seargeant." My question is was that before or after his series had started?
Actually the Movie was "No Time for Sargents" I believe it was before his TV show. I think he won at least one Grammy for his Gospel Music.

If you do a google search for "What it was was football" you will find that and many more cuts from his comedy albums. He worked clean, as you would expect, and he was funny, kind of in a "Hee Haw" way.

Later, The I grew up watching Andy and Don and I do miss those days Rockinator

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tell you something else.....

The shows were always funny- I still watch them and love them- but many had an important message... be it honesty or courage or thinking of more than ones self; there were a few that were downright powerful and a couple that will still bring a tear to my eye.
Good Stuff..... and now, as mentioned by another here.... we have Jersey Shore. God help us.

·
Tweak 'em and Run
977 Posts
R.I.P Mr. Griffith

This was truly a sad day for me. I have actually used his line "no excuse Sir" many times to get me out of trouble...

Jeff

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Nobody to replace people like him, sadly.
Very well said.

40, 50, 60 even 70 (The Lone Ranger was made in the mid 1940s) years later, shows from that era are still more watchable than 99% of the junk available today. We often talk about the actors, but the writers (and producers) from that era were special people and have no equal today.

The sad part is the reason we have reality shows and all the other unwatchable TV is because enough people actually do watch it. And that is a sad commentary.

RIP Andy.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,313 Posts
Anyone remember his late 70s, made for tv movie, the "Salvage I" ???
I was in Seattle in 03, the same week that billionaire put his own spaceship in space.
I thought about that movie then. He was ahead of his time, so to speak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts