Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed the hood scoop from the car and need to get off all of the layers of paint and primer.What paint remover/method is a good way to get it all of without sanding for hours,and not bubbling the plastic/fiberglass?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Good luck on that one. Paint off plastic is quite tricky without having to but in a little time. I think good old fashion sanding is going to be needed here. But someone might know, as this is a good question.

Russ

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post a pic tonight.
I know it has grey primer,orangish red paint,another coat of primer and then on top of it,black flat paint,so Im thinking that the black was home done but the red looks like factory

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noddaz said:
How big is the hood scoop?
What kind of paint?
Spray bomb or real automotive paint?
Wow,it looks much crappier close up :lol:

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Wow! That thing is big...
Makes my idea not quite practical.
In the past I have used Spic-N-Span liquid (original flavor) to remove spray can paints from plastics.
I have used it on model parts, slotcar bodies and one of the emblems from my car.
(That the previous owner had painted white for some reason...)
loosened the paint and did not harm the plastic at all.
But you would need some sort of tub and a few gallons of the stuff to try it...
Because the item has to soak in it...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Long shot here but for plastic models I use brake fluid. Rattle can paint comes off pretty quick. Factory paint could take a little longer. Could take alot of brake fluid too.

·
0 Posts
Brake fluid will work well against automotive paints but gets pretty messy what with soaking and scraping sludgy paint and all.

I think Milezone had it right. Sanding is probably the way to go. A power palm sander can work nice and fast. Also a little messy (paint dust), so outdoors is good for either method.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
1A62 said:
Brake fluid will work well against automotive paints but gets pretty messy what with soaking and scraping sludgy paint and all.

I think Milezone had it right. Sanding is probably the way to go. A power palm sander can work nice and fast. Also a little messy (paint dust), so outdoors is good for either method.
I would just sand it, any chemical is gonna be more trouble than it's worth, that's been my experience anyway.
I'd just give it an overall rough, then feather out the rough spots, then wet sand with like 2,000 grit sandpaper. Unless of course you have a specific reason for stripping the paint completely off.

Hey, look at it as psycotherapy through hard labor, I used to deliberatly buy fugly cars just to do exactly this kind of thing.
John
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stupidsquirrels said:
Hey, look at it as psycotherapy through hard labor, I used to deliberatly buy fugly cars just to do exactly this kind of thing.
John
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Next time your having a rough time,pm me and I'll send you the hood :lol:
j/k

I have a gallon of Brake fluid so IM gonna do test spots( my damn FORD keeps breaking down this year if its not one thing its another,so I bought a gallon of brake fluid to last me until the car can get repaired) <sigh>

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
BFK said:
Next time your having a rough time,pm me and I'll send you the hood :lol:
j/k

I have a gallon of Brake fluid so IM gonna do test spots( my damn FORD keeps breaking down this year if its not one thing its another,so I bought a gallon of brake fluid to last me until the car can get repaired) <sigh>
Send it out :lol:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
BFK said:
I'd say brake fluid would be your best bet. I would just get a tub pr something to lay the scoop in, and just submerge the scoop. You can leave plastic in brake fluid for several days, but no more than a week tho as it can begin to cause damage.
I would just let it soak in for a few days, then the paint should at least scrape off with ease.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts