Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The project I'm currently working for my company is a Jr High school renovation. (all new data and voice networks and cabling, cable TV to classrooms, classroom sound reinforcement, new PA system, etc.) For the past couple of weeks most of my time has been spent in the master closet, which is where the mic for the PA system is located.

A couple weeks ago, first day of school, the principal comes into the MC to do the Pledge of Allegiance and the morning announcements. I stopped punching cables so I wouldn't interupt him with the noise. The principal a "Doctor" got halfway through the Pledge and started stammering.

He forgot the Pledge of Allegiance!

It only took me a second to realise he was stuck and I prompted him:

"With liberty...."

"With liberty.... And... And.... Freedom.... And...."

"And Justice....."

"And justice forever."

I was SERIOUSLY embarrassed for him. How can you forget the pledge of Allegiance? This is the oath that Every American has made with their country. I wrote it off as first day of school, nervous, too many things on his mind and so on. But I also wondered, at that moment, how many people remember the Pledge? I've seen professional singers screw up the National Anthem on National TV. Granted a few of them were Canadian. Don't get me wrong here I have nothing against Canadians, but why do we have Canadians singing OUR National Anthem at our own sporting events?

I didn't think much more about it until today. September 11th. A day that nearly three thousand civilians, not military, lost their lives to an act of terrorism from a foriegn entity. A day we should all remember vividly. But we don't. "It's over and done with. It wasn't my life lost." It's not important to most people anymore.

This morning that same principal, "Doctor" ("I'm far more educated than you") walked into the MC and made the morning anouncements, including a few about today being Patriots Day and one in particular from Governor Strickland. Then he turned the mic off and started to leave.

I stopped him; "No Pledge of Allegiance today?"

I have never seen a black man turn so red. He turned the mic back on, led the school in the Pledge and finally turned the mic off again. Then he thanked me for reminding him and even called me a lifesaver.

It got me thinking again. How do you make three announcements about Patriots Day, including holding a minute of silence for for the victims and police and firefighters that lost thier lives, and forget the Pledge? Then I wondered, not about how many Americans remember the Pledge, but how many people really understand what it really means.

I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of The United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands.
One Nation
Under God
Indivisable
With liberty
And Justice
For all

What does it mean? What does it REALLY mean to you?

What doe it mean to me?

I pledge (promise) allegiance (loyalty)
To the flag (The symbol, the worldwide representation)
Of the United States of America (MY home, My country)
And to the Republic (ALL of us, people and government of the people, by the people and for the people)
For which it stands (Burn that flag and you burn ME)
One Nation (Not black, white, hispanic and asian. Not catholic, protestant, jewish and pagan..... ONE!)
Under God (Take that one as you will as it is one of our LIBERTIES)
Indivisable (Stop fighting each other and stand up for each other)
With liberty (Freedom)
And Justice (FAIR treatment)
For ALL (Everyone. Not JUST me. Not JUST you. FOR EVEY SINGLE ONE OF US. Think about that the next time you vote on an issue.)

Today I was reminded of the words of of a former President. JFK demended, "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

So what have you done for your country, all of the rest of us, lately?

Here's an idea: Start by remembering the Pledge of Allegiance. Remembering what that flag stands for. What The United States of America is all about. What it means to be an American.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As a person who urges people to understand the history of "The Pledge of Allegiance", and is often pained by the creative interruptions of it found on the internet.

I appreciate your interruption!

Thanks,

Keith VanAtta

·
Registered
146 Posts
If i was living in the USA, i too would be proud and honored, but i dont.
Hence, i would know the pledge.

I am an Australian and pledge my allegience to Australia.

Slightly off-topic, but it is a memory that was brought up by the topic.
Almost 20 years ago i joined the Australian Army Reserve. It is something like your National Guard.It was during the 1 to 1 Psychiatric assessment that i was asked a few questions.
Doc: Your surname isn't Australian, is it?
Me: No Sir, it isn't. My parents are Ukrainian born but settled here after the war.
Doc: Do your parents like you joining the military forces?
Me: I didn't really ask them.
Doc: Do they think you are a fascist for joining?
Me: No, they think i am lazy.
Doc: Which side would you fight for if Australia was at war with the Ukraine?
Me: Australia, Sir. I am Born and Bred Australian.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's not a good idea to pledge allegiance to the United States of America.

Because if you read the United States Constitution and it's amendments,
you'll see it was written by the smartest men of their time.
Who had experienced living in Europe.

It's better to be pledging allegiance to the real patriots who are willing to stand up to a government that is against things it's suppose to represent.

So you want to be a patriot not a loyalist.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Well spoken. That's the problem we have today. We are going about our everyday business and don't take time to remember. Thanks for reminding me.

But, before I left for work yesterday morning, I did lower the flag I fly to half staff.

Randy.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
I would like to see World Peace (never gonna happen) someday...

I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of The United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands.
One Nation
Under God
Indivisable
With liberty
And Justice
For all

We are the people and this is our pledge! If the Republic isn't doing what you like then, you have the right to vote them out next time around.

I wish that all countries could have these rights. Unfortunately many do not...I pray for the whole world every night.

God gave us free will and living in the USA is a blessing for us all.

Bob...Amen...zilla

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
flew (as a passenger of course) on Patriot's day, and couldn't help but think about why that particular day - 9/11 - is commemorated. How people a lot like me got on airplanes expecting nothing but routine flights and what happened to them, not because they did anything dangerous or wrong, but because they were American. I thought about how that day affected everyone and changed things so much. People don't talk much about that day - I know I don't - but we all remember. I don't gripe about TSA, neither did anybody in the lines. All in all it's a good thing. One of my coworkers expressed worry initially about flying on 9/11...... but both flights were full. Like Warren Buffett said this week on dealing with another crisis: "......our genius in the United States is not in avoiding problems but overcoming problems." So sometimes getting back to business as usual is a good thing, proves our resiliancy. Felt good about that when I got home.

Nice thing - waiting to board in Vegas on Friday (coming back from a meeting, not much fun unfortunately) the PA came on and announced "welcome home" to a soldier who had been deployed in Iraq. He got off the plane and received a prolonged standing ovation. Nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts