Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These were taken in 1977 on Long Island, NY. Check out all the neat cars and the price of gas! I love looking at these old pictures and have a bunch more. Anyone else have any from way back when? Ok, so, there seems to be a lot of 68 Chevy's in these pictures....that is because I owned one then (and still own it) and was trying to get them in my pictures. Even got a Biscayne 2-door sedan in one. the pictures where you can see a blue hood were taken from the driver's seat of my Dad's 74 Impala, the green hood is from my 68 Impala. Boy, if only the roads still had all those cool cars on 'em today!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Wow, that's cool!

My buddy from 8th grade was a photog nut, he went around snapping pictures when gas went over $1.00 for the first time back in 78-79. Would be cool to see all those shots now!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Very cool! I'd love to see more. I was 10 when those pictures were taken and it brings back memories of the time. My Dad had an "Old car" at that time. Yup...a 1966 442 tri-power 4 speed convert. Blue with white interior. I say it was old because our neighbor at the time bought a new 1977 Grand Prix and asked my Dad when he was going to sell the '66 and get himself a new GP LOL!!!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Those are great. I wish I had thought to do that when I was younger.

Before I got my license I used to walk downtown past three big used car lots; I never thought back then to take pictures of them!

They always had wide selections of desirable cars for us to look at and discuss as my friends & I walked past them. We were in automotive heaven and didn't even know it!

·
Registered
893 Posts
This is awesome man! I was born in 77, amazing to see the awesome cars around back then.

EDIT: Just saw the gas prices 59/gallon, can't beat that!
If you've got more pics keep em coming!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is another one, notice the only non-American cars in the bunch are 2 74 or 75 Datsun B210s. Amazing how now a picture like this would probably only have one American car in it!

·
Registered
301 Posts
What part of L.I. is that? Looks like Southern nassau or southwestern suffolk. I know L.I. very, very well. My father grew up in hicksville and I spent my early days there.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I want to say that that Mays store is in Hicksville ???

I agree, some of those pics look like Sunrise Highway, others Old Country Road...

André
Now off Long Island longer than on.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Reply to Andre;

I do remember that there was a Mays in Hicksville, near East Meadow, but it closed and became another store. I forgot what kind of store though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CtotheB said:
What part of L.I. is that? Looks like Southern nassau or southwestern suffolk. I know L.I. very, very well. My father grew up in hicksville and I spent my early days there.
The Mays store was in Massapequa, directly across the street from my house. Most of the pics were taken in Massapequa except the first one with the red 68 Impala, it was taken in Wantagh. The one with the white 73 Impala was taken on Rt 110 in Amityville. I moved from that area to Ohio about 17 years ago and found this box of pictures a few weeks ago......I'll have to scan some more...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here are a few more. The site won't let me post them larger, does anyone know how I can do that as these are harder to see smaller..... In the first photo, that wagon is a 70 Coronet...when was the last time anyone saw one of those! The yellow Chevelle is actually a Concours, not a Malibu. A fairly rare sight in a two door. The light Green 68 Impala convertible parked next to the blue 68 fastback is my 68 as it appeared in '77. It currently looks much the same save for a set of Rally Wheels added in the 80's. In the last photo, the red car behind the red Audi is a 66 Mercury Comet Caliente coupe, another somewhat scarcely seen car.

·
Premium Member
13,372 Posts
Great pictures guys! :thumbsup: I hope I can find some of my pictures to add to this thread.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I wish I had a camera with me a few years ago.In greenville,s.c. downtown they were going to tear out a section of main st to update for an upscale hotel when they actually ran across the old cobblestone streets and trolley tracks.It actually delayed the work quite a bit because they had forgotten that the streets were just paved over the old.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts