Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulations to the New York Yankees for their 27th World Series Victory and the FIRST victory at their new stadium!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
That was great to see. The last time the Yankees won my son was 5, this time he's 14 and stayed up to watch with me. Very special. I hope he wakes up on time for school tomorrow or my wife will never let me hear the end of it. :D

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
Not a big Yankees fan but congrats to a good season.
On a side note here is something that I found a bit amusing living in Pittsburgh.

Annual payroll at the end of the season.
Pittsburgh Pirates- 25 million
NY Yankees- 211 million
A-rod- 33 million

Arod makes more than the Pirates pay their entire team:drunk:. I wonder if one of the Steinbrenners is willing to buy the Pirates.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Not a big Yankees fan but congrats to a good season.
On a side note here is something that I found a bit amusing living in Pittsburgh.

Annual payroll at the end of the season.
Pittsburgh Pirates- 25 million
NY Yankees- 211 million
A-rod- 33 million

Arod makes more than the Pirates pay their entire team:drunk:. I wonder if one of the Steinbrenners is willing to buy the Pirates.
WOW!! I can't believe A-Rod makes that much more than Bozo!!! You would think they'd be in the same clown union!!!

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Given the NYY payroll, to not win the championship would be utter failure.:rolleyes:

A woman I work with, Red Sox fan, said the problem with the Yankees is that they use MLB for their farm system, instead of recruiting the guys coming up the ranks. Might be some truth to that...
OK. Before the arguments ensue, her remark was simply meant to provoke thought, not to be taken as gospel:wave:

·
Banned
200 Posts
Yes, the Yankees have the best team money can buy, but it isn't the huge payroll that won the World Series for them. It was a different expenditure of money that did it for them. The New Yankee Stadium. Heard on a major sports talk radio show that the Yankee's ace pitcher each of these past two seasons had nearly identical records (2008 Mike Mussina, 2009 CC Sabathia), so pitching wasn't the difference. What was the difference was that the '09 Yankees had about two hundred more home runs! What changed between 2008 and 2009 to account for this huge increase in home runs? The New Yankee Stadium of course. The Yankees have a great team, yes, but it's essentially the same team as last year in a new launching pad of a stadium. It was money that won this title, but more so the new yard than the roster.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Yes, the Yankees have the best team money can buy, but it isn't the huge payroll that won the World Series for them. It was a different expenditure of money that did it for them. The New Yankee Stadium. Heard on a major sports talk radio show that the Yankee's ace pitcher each of these past two seasons had nearly identical records (2008 Mike Mussina, 2009 CC Sabathia), so pitching wasn't the difference. What was the difference was that the '09 Yankees had about two hundred more home runs! What changed between 2008 and 2009 to account for this huge increase in home runs? The New Yankee Stadium of course. The Yankees have a great team, yes, but it's essentially the same team as last year in a new launching pad of a stadium. It was money that won this title, but more so the new yard than the roster.
Yeah, so they went 81-81. They won all their home games and lost all their road games? No, they did not of course. Sure the home field is an advantage, but Camden Yards is a crackerbox and do you see the Orioles in the playoffs? The Phillies' stadium is also a crackerbox, but they also have 81 road games.

Yes home field is an advantage but the other teams hit there, too. It's not like visiting teams at Yankee stadium don't get the same benefit. You still have to outscore your opponent.

And please SAVE ALL THE FREAKING BUYING A CHAMPIONSHIP CRAP!!! It's getting old. DO the Yankees win every year? NO.

Try and focus here, the list of Yankees players on their current 40 man roster (in yahoo sports) that were brought up through their farm system:

Derek Jeter *
Jorge Posada *
Mariano Rivera *
Andy Pettitte *
Robinson Cano *
Melky Cabrera *
Brett Gardner *
Phil Hughes *
Joba Chamberlain *
David Robertson *
Phil Coke *
Alfredo Aceves *
Chien-Ming Wang
Francisco Cervelli
Mark Melancon
Ramiro Pena
Shelley Duncan
Juan Miranda
Edwar Ramirez
Andrew Brackman
Michael Dunn

So half of their 40 man roster are home grown players. That's probably more than many people suspect. Asterisks note players who appeared in the world series. 12 of their 25 man roster got in games.

So talk of buying championships is overrated. If it was that easy, they'd win every year.

And any Red Sox fan spewing that is just comical. They spend just as much as the Yankees lately on free agent talent.

Small market teams can compete they just use a different business model. Look at the Twins, Marlins, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals. All World Series champions in the past decade or so. They use homegrown talent more because they have to. The big market teams don't. That's reality in baseball. so get over it unless they institute a salary cap, which doesn't seem very likely.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
I never intended to start an arguement about the Yankees payroll but please. To say that the Yankees do not have an advantage over other teams because of their payroll is asinine. Sure they have brought up players in the farm system but they have been able to keep their talent because the good players get paid. Other teams (insert Pittsburgh) develop players only to see them bought up by other teams. They realize that their window is so small that if they do not win when the palyers are young and on their intial contracts they can only trade them for prospects. Otherwise they will lose them to free agency.
I am not even hacking the Yankees for doing this. They exploit the rules very nicely and if you are a Yankees fan of course you see nothing wrong with it. The problem is that there are about 15-20 teams that can not compete so they have stopped trying and the owners are more than happy to hold out their hands to the Yankees, Mets, Sox both red and white, Angels, Phils and Mets and take the luxury tax and revenue sharing money. The fans of teams like the Pirates are the ones that are left out.
Have the Yankees won every World Series certainly not but they have been consistantly good for a long time because of the money spent. You will always have flash in the pan teams like the Rays from last year, the Twins a few years back and the As before that but since they lose all the quality players to the big teams they have no staying power.
Just ask the Indians during game one when their 2 Cy Young winners were facing off in game one of the WS. They traded both away because they knew that they would lose them anyway to free agency.
Add into that mix the international players (Matsui) who are exempt from the draft and go to the highest bidder.
I never fully understood why Yankee fans feel the need to get defensive when bringing up their spending on players. Everyone knows that they do it. I for one would embrace the fact that your owner cares enough to win. Just be aware that eventually there very well could be a league with 10 teams in it.

I am also not a Red Sox fan but to even suggest that they are on par with the Yanks is a bit crazy.
Free Agent Spending the last 2 years by means of contracts.
2007-08
Yankees- $396,150,000
Rest of League- $670,650,000

2008-09
Yankees- $441,000,000
Rest of League- $543,932,500

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The Phils stadium is a crackerbox???!!! Why does the rest of the sportsworld rank it among the top 3 in the league???

Camden Yards is also touted as a great baseball facility. Get real. Just because the Yanks have the newest and most expensive stadium does not mean everyone elses is sub-par. And yes I live near Philly.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I never intended to start an arguement about the Yankees payroll but please. To say that the Yankees do not have an advantage over other teams because of their payroll is asinine. Sure they have brought up players in the farm system but they have been able to keep their talent because the good players get paid. Other teams (insert Pittsburgh) develop players only to see them bought up by other teams. They realize that their window is so small that if they do not win when the palyers are young they can only trade them for prospects. Otherwise they will lose them to free agency.
I am not even hacking the Yankees for doing this. They exploit the rules very nicely and if you are a Yankees fan of course you see nothing wrong with it. The problem is that there are about 15-20 teams that can not compete so they have stopped trying and the owners are more than happy to hold out their hands to the Yankees, Mets, Sox both red and white, Angels, Phils and Mets and take the luxury tax and revenue sharing money. The fans of teams like the Pirates are the ones that are left out.
Have the Yankees won every World Series certainly not but they have been consistantly good for a long time because of the money spent. You will always have flash in the pan teams like the Rays from last year, the Twins a few years back and the As before that but since they lose all the quality players to the big teams they have no staying power.
Just ask the Indians during game one when their 2 Cy Young winners were facing off in game one of the WS. They traded both away because they knew that they would lose them anyways to free agency.
Add into that mix the international players (Matsui) who are exempt from the draft and go to the highest bidder.
I never fully understood why Yankee fans feel the need to get defensive when bringing up their spending on players. Everyone knows that they do it. I for one would embrace the fact that your owner cares enough to win. Just be aware that eventually there very well could be a league with 10 teams in it.

I am also not a Red Sox fan but to even suggest that they are on par with the Yanks is a bit crazy.
Free Agent Spending the last 2 years by means of contracts.
2007-08
Yankees- $396,150,000
Rest of League- $670,650,000

2008-09
Yankees- $441,000,000
Rest of League- $543,932,500
Brad, my point was that I'm tired of all the whining about the Yankees buying championships to the point that people think they don't even have any of their own players. If they don't have Jeter, Posada, Rivera, and Pettitte and to a lesser degree the other players I mentioned it would do them no good to sign all the free agents because they could not do it all on their own.

If a small market team "stopped trying", then that's on them and it's not the big market teams fault.

How about a list of Yankees flops:

Carl Pavano
Kei Igawa
Hideki Irabu
Ed Whitson
Andy Hawkins
Randy Johnson
Jack McDowell
Brian Bruney (sorry I couldn't resist, BUM!)

among others I'm sure there are more.

Just wait a few years until those "four core" Yankees retire. It might be some time before we see a team that good. The Braves have been trying since Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux aged and haven't been able to recreate their success.

The Yankees could be in for days like the late 60s/early 70s and mid 80s to early 90s again soon. They can't buy every position player. If they do, then well maybe you have a point. :wave:

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
The Phils stadium is a crackerbox???!!! Why does the rest of the sportsworld rank it among the top 3 in the league???

Camden Yards is also touted as a great baseball facility. Get real. Just because the Yanks have the newest and most expensive stadium does not mean everyone elses is sub-par. And yes I live near Philly.
Pretty sure he means they are stadiums on the smaller side that cater to hitting the long ball. Also know as a hitters park.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts

You totally misconstrued my analogy. Maybe it wasn't clear though. I meant they are launching pads/small hitters parks just as conducive to home runs (if not more) than Yankee stadium. Check left center, in Baltimore it's 364 feet. That means a 375 foot shot is a home run. In Yankee stadium, it's 24 feet FROM THE FENCE! I think Philly is about 375 to left center if I'm not mistaken. although the wall is pretty high.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
Sorry Mike I have to disagree with you here. The players that you listed above are very good which is why the Steinbrenners have continued to pay them and the other "bums" are no longer on the team. If Carl Pavano had a sub 3.00 ERA I would venture to guess he would still be on the Yankees roster. Bottom line is on that current team they really are the only homegrowns that have contributed in the WS. Also note that your list only contributed 8 of the total 30 RBIs the Yanks scored in the World Series. Remove Posada's 5 from that equation and it is considerably less.
As I said previously I do not necessarily fault the Yanks for using the system as is to their advantage. But lets be honest the population of New york greatly increase the revenue stream for that team. From the inflated tickets sales to the merchandising the Yanks command no other team even has the chane to bring in that kind of money. Correct me if I am wrong but don't they also have their own network channel?
I do also fault the owners of teams that seem to have folded but at the same time what are they to do? Even selling out their stadiums they will never generate the revenues teams like the Yanks, Dodgers...etc do. Even if teams like the pirates could afford to sign a player of Arod's stature that player would always choose a team like the Yanks over the Pirates because they can also spend 178 million on the rest of the team.

I have a hard time seeing the Yanks ever revert to those teams. They will do what they always do reload, resign and outspend eveyone. It is not the Yankees fault the system is broken but they have the means to exploit itmore than any other team. It is not surprising that the Mets the other NY team has the second highest payroll. (please do not argue that the Mets sucked this year as we all know they were hit hard by the injury bug).

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
Brad, my point was that I'm tired of all the whining about the Yankees buying championships to the point that people think they don't even have any of their own players. If they don't have Jeter, Posada, Rivera, and Pettitte and to a lesser degree the other players I mentioned it would do them no good to sign all the free agents because they could not do it all on their own.

If a small market team "stopped trying", then that's on them and it's not the big market teams fault.
But how can you argue that the Yankess have not outspent every other team and that has contributed to them averaging 97 wins per season for the last 8 years. Have they always had the best record or won the world series? No but they are always near the top if not at the top and that is a direct result of them bringing the hottest free agents evey year. Sure they scored big on Pettitte, Riveria, Posada and Jeter but are you saying that over the last 15 years they are the only quality palyers that the Yanks have produced. How many quality players that the Yanks developed are still in the league but on other teams. (I really do not know for sure but I am guessing it is a small number). My point is that yes they have developed Jeter but he is still on the team because they continue to pay him 21 million a year. No other team could pry him away from the Yanks with that kind of money. If teams like the Pirates, Indians...etc develop even mediocre talent he is gone after the intial contract runs out. heck you can make more money sitting on the Yankees bench than the highest paid player on the Pirates.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts