Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I need to ask for a little help/advice here ..... I'm giving some thought to creating either a website or "homepage" (have to admit, I'm not really sure exactly what the difference is!) regarding my favorite car, and I don't have a clue what is involved, or if I should proceed.

I have in mind a place where other enthusiasts of this model car can find it on a Google search, and it would be a place where info on this car could be readily accesible to any such enthusiasts.

I tried a google search on setting up a website, but was soon overwhelmed .... I'm not the most computer literate person in the world, but I'm sure with some direction I could get it done... any suggestions or directions? Thanks, all.

Rich

·
Registered
582 Posts
A homepage is a basic a one-page website. (Generally about one specific topic. example: an eBay "about me" page)
A website is a collection of pages (frequently with a "homepage" as an index or starting point).

Any website will eventually be found by Google's spiders. To be listed first or even on the first page takes some doing. Two of my websites show on the first page of a MSN search (quite a bit easier to accomplish).

Do you own a domain name?
Where is your site going to be hosted?
Are you going to use webspace from your ISP? If you get too much traffic, your site may be either shut-down or you will be charged for the extra bandwidth.(GoDady.com has some of the lowest prices for domain names, reasonable hosting rates, & A+ live 24/7 tech support)
Do you have an HTML editor program? (I have heard tales of people publishing sites using their word processing software.)

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Or, you can learn HTML and open Notepad. That's what I do. As for hosting, ISPs generally give you some webspace when you purchase their internet service. That said, Comcast hosts mine.

None of those fancy programs for me!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, guys ..... boy oh boy, I'm more confused than ever (lol)!!!! HTML, Notepad, Front Page, ISP's, ooooooooohhhh it's making me dizzy!

I used HTML a tiny bit doing E Bay auctions a while back, and I'll look into the helpful tips you all gave me .... this may have to wait a bit though, due to both time and financial constraints right now. Thanks for the help though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts