Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a friends computer to let you know that my cable internet connection is out again:mad:. I might have to go back to dial-up. This is getting old ....... another 2 weeks to wait for a service tech. See youse when I have internet again.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Yikes Jer...

I am no expert, and I know everything is different for each different USA service area, but I've had a Yahoo DSL connection through my local phone company for about 4 years and it's been operating like a champ. Let's just say I'm pleasantly surprised. I myself dumped my cable internet due to the high cost and occasional service problems. The cable was faster, but not by that much, and certainly not worth the extra money every month. nd

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I've had DSL for about 5 years (Alltel/Windstream) and have had maybe 3 minor outages in that time. My electrical service has been far less reliable and when it's down, so is the DSL (and all other benefits of modern life like water, heat, and lights). My DSL performance at 3 Mbps is more than adequate for my total family needs and I could bump it up to 6 Mbps for a few bucks more a month or 12 Mbps for $45 a month. Unlike cable, DSL performance is not throttled by the number of subscribers on the same subnet. It's always the same speed.

Once you have a broadband connection you absolutely should also have a router with additional hardwired switch ports and wireless access point to allow every computer and connected device (iPod, XBox, etc.) in your house to access the Internet (and access each other on the local network).

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Internet service providers dont care. They charge us an arm and a leg and offer lousy service. Hope you get back on line soon.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Win we still like you even though your Cable service bites...

Jerry this is a bummer man...hurry back. Well this could be some build time for you now...go, go, go.

Bob...Dude I got a Dell...zilla

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!! Last night our internet connection just came back on all by itself. I did nothing and there certainly wasn't a tech here ..... it's only been a week. I think they're screwing with me from the office. Let's just hope it stays on for awhile. Crossing fingers and eyes:freak:

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Hey see you in chat! Want me to come out and eradicate them dang squirrels fer ya! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts