Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I paid $230 for a new mountain bike at Kmart. Had it on layaway for 2 monthes. Picked it up a month ago , rode it maybe 15 times. Today leaving my house noticed i had a flat tire on the old jeep. Hopped on my new shinny bike and went to get some fix-a-flat. Filled her up and headed towards the gas station to get air. left the bike on the porch with light on at 9 at nite. Found that there was a non-fixable hole in the tire of the jeep while filling air. Spent 1 1/2 hours getting the last lug off. Changed tire, went home, bike was GONE! Stolen, swiped, never coming back! Filed police report with no hope of ever getting it back again. Im thinking VIGILANTISM! Im applying for road patrol with the local sheriiffs dept.. that was my exercise machine!GRRR What would you guys do????? im thinking chain my girlfriends new bike to the post box. hide behind a tree with some sort of weapon or cell phone and wait. This stinks, waht ever happened to leaving your car unlocked and junk in your yard. Man i live in a tiny city. whats the deal!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I feel your pain. When i was a little kid around the age of 8 or so, I got my very first bike for Easter. The Easter Bunny even left it on my front porch for me of Easter morning! I always left it leaned up on the outside of the garage thinking that would be a good place. A couple of years later, I went out looking for it and the sucker was gone never to be seen again. Having your property stolen by stangers is terrible. Having the first bike that you ever rode that the Easter Bunny gave to ya, priceless.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
It's happening everywhere my friend, my own recent experience with a fuel thief is now part of HT folklore.

It totally sucks to be violated like this, I've had too damn many experiences like this, you just feel like you've been kicked in the guts.
I'm sorry this happened to you.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
That's common. Sorry for your loss, that's a bummer indeed. But, you know what,...maybe one day the guy who stole it will get a divorce from his wife, and she'll get half of everything he has. Or the guy will slip, and fall into one of those sidewalk grates in the city. Maybe he'll get hit by a bus!

...You never know when kharma will strike. He has something coming. It's too bad you may never know what it will be so you can enjoy it!

I hope I made you feel somewhat better!:p

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
I had 15 og the kids bikes stolen in 3 years time.They caught the kids doing it,they got probation,.thats it.

People wanted to sue and couldn't.I don't know why..
They would take the bike right off my front porch ,right by my bedroom window,from the van.from my back yard!
My neighbor had 2 Haro's takem(over $400.- bikes) he got one back,but they chopped handle bars,stripped parts and exchanged them with others to "customize" them

IM still pissed!
Report it to the police,and hope you see them riding it(I did 2 times and got the bikes back both)

Sorry for your loss as well!

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
As a bike rider I never let my Trek or Cannondale out of my sight. They are in the Basement or in the Garage ALWAYS. If I stop in town I take them in the store (And leave them at the front counter, I have a nice fellow rider who owns the store watch em for me) Bikes are probably the most commonly stolen thig out there. Wait untill you've invested in Clipless pedals, Shoes, and a good "Buddy" friendly seat. They become like children

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Even in my area, which is considered a safe place to live, there are reports of teenagers coming into your garage and stealing your bike if you leave the garage door open. We always keep our garage doors closed, unless we're right there doing stuff. For a while we even cable locked the bikes together in the garage. Even our seats are cable locked to the frame.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, leaving a bike unattended, even on your porch, is just asking for trouble. Sorry to hear about your loss, that just stinks. I suggest that anyone with a bike buy a cable lock and use it whenever you're not with your bike.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I heard today that there is a "gang" in my area called the Bucanneers. A bunch of pirates i guess? I guess ill have to buy a new one and a master lock

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I was lucky when my bike got stolen. Went to the police station a couple days later and they had just recovered a bunch of bikes. And 1 of them was mine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Karma!! Thats what eventually happens. You may never know, but Karma always happens. I dont have any tollerence towards theives!!! Sorry to hear about your bike! :(

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Back in the early 80's I had an old Raleigh English 3 speed that I rode back and forth to work every day stolen out of the landlord's garage when he left the door open. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't worth $10 but some jerk took off with it. Unfortunately, there's always going to be somebody out there that thinks it's their right to help themselves to other people's property.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That really sucks! I hope you can get your bike back. I live on the second story and I keep my bike on our porch 10 feet off the ground. It's a small enough city where I don't worry about people going to those lengths. I also live in a fairly mellow neighborhood. Even though it is a small city, I wouldn't take my bike anywhere and leave it unlocked. You could live in a town of a 100 people and someone would steal it. Just the down side of human nature I suppose. Again, good luck with your situation.

1up

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
When I was a kid, I once forgot my NICE 12-speed out in front of the house overnight. Gone. Freakin scuzballs. (Years later, they stole my brother's Blazer from almost the same spot, but that's a story for another thread...)

--rick

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss,man.

I just bought a 21 spd,mongoose XR200,:)devil: with flames,) I'd be sick if that was swiped.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ParkRNDL said:
When I was a kid, I once forgot my NICE 12-speed out in front of the house overnight. Gone. Freakin scuzballs. (Years later, they stole my brother's Blazer from almost the same spot, but that's a story for another thread...)

--rick
BLAZER!! what year??? I had an '89 with a 2.8V6.....wish someone would have stolen that piece!

·
Premium Member
13,205 Posts
I dig this thread up, even though I didn't reply to it at the time.

Hope things are better now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts