Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today marks my 25th end of school as a teacher. I'm feeling a little melancholy. Over the years my kids have gone on to MIT, Notre Dame, Stanford, Indiana, Purdue and other prestigious institutions. Student have gone on to work at CERN, the White House, become doctors, lawyers and rocket scientists. Some cannnot tell you what they do as their job titles are classified. I have seen many take up the mantle of protecting our country and have joined all branches of the military. As of this writing (Knock on wood) none have had bad injuries or lost their lives but some have come very close. I also have had some enter the state and federal corrections systems. Both the good and the bad have cone through my classroom doors.
I feel my job, much like the ministry is a calling. It is not easy, but the intrinsic rewards are immeasurable. I'm glad I have years to go but I know times are tough for teachers. States are radically changing the job and how students are taught and disciplined. Not all of the changes are best for education in my humble opinion, but this is not a political discussion.
I love my job and all of the kids who have come through in the last 25 years. I hope I can make it through another 10 - 15 years. with everything changing and the national mood not supporting education I feel this will be a challenge. BUT I still can face the challenge as I can also face the challenge of door warmers and less than honest wally workers. I'm just glad that sometimes I get to come here among friends and vent. Oh and if I haven't told you lately THANK YOU ALL for being my friends.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Over the years my kids have gone on to MIT, Notre Dame, Stanford, Indiana, Purdue and other prestigious institutions. Student have gone on to work at CERN, the White House, become doctors, lawyers and rocket scientists.
Whatever you do, don't let you're babies grow up to be cowboys. ;)

To be a teacher is definitely a calling, and you must be a good one for your students to have kept up with you over the years. For all that you do to prepare the youth, here's to you teach! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
That is an MILESTONE Chris! :thumbsup:

I hope the next 10 - 15 years will be easier.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
At first I thought it said Milezone

My wife was a teacher for 21 years. When she came to the US she said she couldn't take the teaching planning and work anymore. I congratulate you on 25 years and to still have the dedication to keep going

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow! That is an accomplishment!! Obviously, you are very dedicated. May you watch many more students go on to great futures. A little bit of you goes with each one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Awesome! You should be very proud. My wife has been a science teacher for the last 3 years and she has been a victim of budget cuts each year...fortunately she has been hired back each year some how, but its stressful when she gets that pink slip.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Well today marks my 25th end of school as a teacher. I'm feeling a little melancholy. Over the years my kids have gone on to MIT, Notre Dame, Stanford, Indiana, Purdue and other prestigious institutions. Student have gone on to work at CERN, the White House, become doctors, lawyers and rocket scientists. Some cannnot tell you what they do as their job titles are classified. I have seen many take up the mantle of protecting our country and have joined all branches of the military. As of this writing (Knock on wood) none have had bad injuries or lost their lives but some have come very close. I also have had some enter the state and federal corrections systems. Both the good and the bad have cone through my classroom doors.
I feel my job, much like the ministry is a calling. It is not easy, but the intrinsic rewards are immeasurable. I'm glad I have years to go but I know times are tough for teachers. States are radically changing the job and how students are taught and disciplined. Not all of the changes are best for education in my humble opinion, but this is not a political discussion.
I love my job and all of the kids who have come through in the last 25 years. I hope I can make it through another 10 - 15 years. with everything changing and the national mood not supporting education I feel this will be a challenge. BUT I still can face the challenge as I can also face the challenge of door warmers and less than honest wally workers. I'm just glad that sometimes I get to come here among friends and vent. Oh and if I haven't told you lately THANK YOU ALL for being my friends.:thumbsup:

There are five thankless jobs in this country and all five are very important. They are:

Teacher's
Police Officer's
Firefighter's
Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard, and
Ministers.

You need to hold your head up high and know that in a lot of kids you have made a difference. Having students that have gone to MIT and other schools is something that you can be proud of. And your right education has taken a back seat but so has public safety, religion, and National
Defense.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Chris, your dedication and fortitude are admirable. :thumbsup:
This past weekend we were at a party and two of our friends who are teachers were saying how the profession has become so much more demanding. I asked them what advice they have for my daughter, who starts college in the Fall intending on majoring in Elementary Education. They both said to specialize in a specific area - it's the only way to stay competitive.
We cannot survive as a society without good teachers.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I can definitely relate as I work in Social Services 22 years and have seen families and children of ALL walks of life. I've worked with children from well-to-do gated communities to the ones from low-income slums and have seen children enter the criminal justice system (prison) as well as those who've graduated college and gotten good jobs. Some years ago I had a young client suddenly pass away from a medical condition and it was then that I seriously considered ending my career - but after some talk w/ fellow workers it was decided that there was nothing I could've done to save this youngster...and I needed to "keep on keeping on" for those still surviving. In spite of the good, the bad, and the ugly I have NO desire to retire; working with these kids keeps me young at heart. Congrats on 25 years of service!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
There are five thankless jobs in this country and all five are very important. They are:

Teacher's
Police Officer's
Firefighter's
Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard, and
Ministers.

And Social Workers. We're the ones who investigate alleged child abuse/neglect. Disgruntled parents call us "child snatchers" as we sometimes have to take kids away from their parents.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Congrats on your Milestone, Teach!
I could tell by that selfess act - your diecast gravity race that you are the type of teacher that comands attention and makes learning interesting.
Most of my teachers were just completely flat with the personality of a smelly dish rag, and I quickly lost interest.
Your personality filled that room, and your confidence, streanth of charactor, and and good adittude will carry you through the next 10 - 15 years.
Of course you will be challenged as parental skills seem to be getting worse by the second, but you will shine even more as you are tested by this generation of little button pressing screen watchers...can you say "field trip!!!" ??? :thumbsup:

Just one more thing. You teach geography, right?
In my schooling this subject was glanced over at best, and most Americans don't know Maine from Morocco. As the World becomes smaller and smaller, sociologically, geography is all the more important.
Geography is more important than ever, plus to know where you are in relation to the rest of the World is facinating. Allways loved maps and have a good collection of them. Fun to dream about all the far off places, buildings and people you might encounter.

LMX :wave:

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Way to go Teacher! And how many people have really thanked you for what you do? Hopefully there are many.

My wife has taught for 26 years, the last 19 as the beloved first grade teacher in our neighborhood grammar school. She has started hundreds of kids on their journey toward excellence. Most have succeeded, a few have failed.

This is the time of year that she reflects upon all her students as you do. She has a folder crammed with local news articles about her students accomplishments, graduations, etc. She has continually had visits from former students and has been pleased to have some of them return as volunteers or student teachers who have requested to work with her. I agree with you that it is a special calling and have seen that in the professional way that Mrs 54b has handled the caring that has gone into her career. I am proud of her and can see how she stands out in her field just by seeing how empty the school parking lot is when she and one or two other caring teachers conclude their day. The times certainly have changed over the years of her and your careers and your tasks have become more and more thankless.

Thank you for what you have done. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I understand how challenging your calling is...

:wave:

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for all of the nice comments! In fact I am finishing cleaning my room getting ready to walk out the door for another summer. (Yes I do still get summer jobs) Teaching is a challenge and the job is more demanding but it is important for teacher to keep current just like other professions.
It is more difficult with parenting skills falling off but it in a way make the job a little more rewarding. When we have successes they feel just that much better. In fact this year one of my students who is graduating was a four time world champion in martial arts. Wow I didn't know that until recently. I guess that it is true that 95% of our kids are good. it is just the public only hears about the other 5%.

HAVE A GOOD SUMMER EVERYBODY! I'll drop in time to time as my summer job has me outside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts