Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im confused right now, reading a couple different specifications and was curious if any of the mechanics here could help.

First the low down: 1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra, 3.8l Vin 1 Supercharged

Looking for the main bearing torque specs.

One book i read says to torque to 51, then to back off, then to torque a couple more times, then 3 times going 35 degrees...

Another one i read says to torque to 26, then addition 50 degrees

Then checked autozone, and it says for the year i selected to do the first, but going back to 1994 says to do the second, even though its the same engine and same crank!

Right now they are currently torqued to the first spec, can anyone tell me if that is correct? do i need to change them? or dont bother and leave as is?

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
DC, I'll try to find those specs when I get to work in the morning. I dont have access to the info here at home. Sorry.
Earl

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Torque, schmorque, Dee Cee; just crank those suckers down 'till the first one snaps, then back the rest off a hair :thumbsup: :lol: :devil:

sorry, couldn't resist :hat:

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Torque, schmorque, Dee Cee; just crank those suckers down 'till the first one snaps, then back the rest off a hair :thumbsup: :lol: :devil:

Thats the best laugh l've had in a while, thanks carnut.
Sorry, no help on the specs.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carnut2256 said:

well, thats what i did to my first engine, i think thats possibly why im replacing it now....

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
DC the first one you have listed is the correct one. 51 Lb.ft, to seat the caps, back off 360*, then 16 Lb.ft.,then 30 lb.ft. then 35* 3 times, then side bolts to 11 Lb.ft. + 45*.
Earl

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok, heres another question then, what are "side bolts" ?

Thats one of the things that was confusing me, as i dont have any 'side bolts' on this engine

What i think the problem is is that everyone is confusing this 1995 Vin 1 (series 1) engine, with the 1995 Vin K Engine (new series II) engine.

PS: Vin 1 was made from 92-95, same block, same cranks, but the 95 torque specs are different, hence why I am concerned. I guess to much torque on the caps wouldn't matter in the long run as apposed to not enough in the long run

I've always had bad luck with books not matching to what im working with.

Want to see something funny if you have it at your shop? look to see what kind of headlight a 1991 Toronado takes.... then look at a 90 and a 92... the 91 is different from the 90 and 92... even though its the same headlight! the one the book calls for on a 91 is WRONG. It calls for the larger kind that are found in most 80's full size cars. everytime i shop for headlights i have to use the 92 specs...

Friends don't let friends write books drunk...

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Sorry I didnt reply sooner, the net has been down here since I last posted.
Ok, now this engine is out of a 1995 Buick Park Ave Ultra?

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Ok DC you either have a 1994 VIN 1 engine or an early build 1995 Ultra which could have still had the series 1 engine, the correct torque is 26 Lb.ft. + 50*. And unfortunately over torque could be just as bad as under torque because the bolt could unexpectedly brake causing major internal damage. If I had known it didnt have the side bolts I would have figured it out sooner.
As a side note it was college students who used to copy from the engineers notes to write the manuals. Talk about a Charlie Fox up.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i know it is a 1995 Vin 1, pulled the engine myself, i think the casting code is EV6? (which i have just confirmed as being "Series 1"

I can't find any information on an "early" Vin 1 anywhere.

At my brother's work he's got Motor manuals that im going off of, where it says "1995 Vin K & 1" for the tighter torque. But looking at my moms haynes manual (which covers 88-98 full size 3.8's) doesnt even mention Vin 1

ALL SO CONFUSING!

Which manual are you refering to?

I think i might back them off and tighten at the looser specs, the thing that gets me the most is the lack of 'side bolts' Although what also gets me now is the fact that i might have to replace the bolts now since they've been tighten to much.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
I'm referring to the GM Shop manuals. I'm a tech at a Chevy,Pontiac,Buick,Cadillac,(Olds), store. The GM manuals are really screwed up for 95 in relation to the VIN L, K & 1 engines. It was also the year they started doing the "Platform" manuals instead of the individule Brand Divisions.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Also you wont find any info on early/late build stuff, it's just something you stumble across when repairing cars for a living.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oooooooooooo you work at a GM dealership, i thought you just worked at a shop or something... well then thats all i need to know :thumbsup:

Well, since im OBVIOSLY talking to the right man now, would you say i would need to buy new bolts now? (im using the ones that came with the engine)

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Yeah, for safetys sake and peace of mind, I'd replace them.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
I'll check with the parts department shortly and see.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
GM part # is 24503056 and they list for $1.39 each

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
one more thing, what is the part # you got for the connecting rod bolts and price if you don't mine. I went to local dealership to order the main bolts (and had a 10% off coopen!), and had him look up the rod bolts, and he said they were $6.39 APIECE! thats over 60 dollars in 12 1 inch long bolts! was he correct? or was the $6.39 for the set? Do you think i should even bother replacing the rods bolts (haven't re-installed them yet, just unbolted from engine once).

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Part # for Rod bolts is 25531956 and yes they are $6.39 each. I cant find any warnings advising to replace them upon dis-assemply. It only said to compare them to new to see if they have streched.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they proud of them bolts aren't they! thanks for all your help man, appreciate it....

wait a minute, something just clicked... montego, which is a ford... but yet you work at GM... must be one of those "once you know how its made you dont ever want one" type things right? :p

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts