Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am clueless and the anally retentive control freaks over at HWC refuse to let the word "Liberty" to be spoken without threats of suspensions/bans, could someone PLEASE enlighten me as to what the issue is?!? And how then, does Liberty keep cranking out HW Buses??

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Seriously jj, I'd put it in the catagory of elistest! 'Snobbish down the nose, not worthy of worrying about'....that doesn't answer your question, sorry, I'd not worry too much about it, though now, I'd like to know as well;)

Is it a knockoff ??

·
Registered
79 Posts
From the few posts on this subject that I've read, Liberty Promotions bought tons of excess VW Bus castings from HW/Mattel that were used for various retail promotions...basically anything they could get their hands on. They then stripped them and added their own designs, tampos, etc., and sold them.

The castings were bought fair-and-square, so I think at issue is whether or not they can legally sell the HW casting under their name.

I'm sure there is more to it, but this is at least what I've pieced together.

·
Registered
79 Posts
From Liberty Promotions website:

We have purchased over two hundred fifty thousand buses directly from Mattel. These include promotional models for All Tune & Lube, Penske, & Jiffy Lube, as well as some "mistake" models and some CD-ROM packaged ones which were liquidated to us by Mattel (and other companies). Due to Mattel’s pricing structure, it made sense to purchase more quantities than were needed for promotional purposes. For example, in some cases, fifty thousand buses cost nearly the same as thirty thousand of them. In the case of Penske Auto Centers, they closed their operations before they had opportunity to use two of the three versions produced. We acquired these unused pieces at that time. Additionally, we have purchased from other sources, leftover quantities from various runs, such as the military and VW club releases, as well as more of the CD-ROM buses. So, don’t worry, we have plenty of pieces to make our very limited high-quality custom runs for the next several years

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks DD! Makes perfect sense, as we all know Mother Mattel cannot stand anyone making a single cent off of them if they are not getting a cut. The money Liberty is making must be driving them out of their convoluted minds!!

BTW, I never considered to check out Liberty's web site for a clue as to what the situation was! DUH!!

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,928 Posts
Does Liberty pay licensing fees to the auto companies, i.e., Volkswagen, GM, etc.? If they do, then what they are doing seems no different than what Greenlight is doing. However, if they don't, I can see where Mattel is coming from in that Mattel has to pay licensing fees to produce those castings and Liberty is profiting from repainting them and selling them at a huge mark-up. If this is the case, I would think the auto companies would also have a problem with them.

BTW, has anyone ever considered why the VW Drag Bus is the single most-important casting in the history of Hot Wheels? Is it just because of its weight? IMO, the '67 Camaro is the "mascot" of Hot Wheels. Yet Mattel sold out their history to promote this thing? Brilliant marketing for sure. But I just don't see the appeal (and, BTW, I own two of them).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My opinion as to why the Drag bus is so popular is the fact that it can be repainted and used as promotional toys in so many ways.
The vehicle is small enough to be a toy but large enough that when repainted, it can be a "Cute" Advertisement also.
One can not do that as easily with the 67 Camaro.
Also the bus can be heavy enough to be a paperweight. There are plenty of VW Fans out there and the piece is unique in it's own way.
I am sure that there are other reasons for the popularity, but I am not sure at the moment what they are.
Hope this helps.
Richard

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I am so sick of the drag bus cast. There are so many of them out there and every one that comes out people think is gold.

I don't even know why V-dub fans even like the thing... there nothing Volkswagon about it except for the vague shape of a bus (it's way too big) and the VW insignia on the front

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mattel has to do what the lawyers tell them to do to protect their ownership/copyright of one of their most popular iconic castings.

[IMG-LEFT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/Kronoprime/Hotwheels001-2.jpg[/IMG-LEFT]

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Since I am clueless and the anally retentive control freaks over at HWC refuse to let the word "Liberty" to be spoken without threats of suspensions/bans, could someone PLEASE enlighten me as to what the issue is?!? And how then, does Liberty keep cranking out HW Buses??
Liberty seems to do the HW Drag Bus better than Mattel. I suppose Mattel tolerates code 3 producers, so long as they don't become as prominent as Liberty. It's just embarrassment on Mattel's part.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know what the deal is but for Liberty Promotions and Mattel's sake said items will not be discussed in a public manner such as HTBB or any other forums for that matter.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,928 Posts
I know what the deal is but for Liberty Promotions and Mattel's sake said items will not be discussed in a public manner such as HTBB or any other forums for that matter.
So long as you know......:confused:

I couldn't care less, but it has to be that Liberty is making a ton and Mattel isn't getting any. Otherwise, why would Mattel care?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that sure is swell! I guess that makes you feel pretty important?!? Or do you think this is HWC?!?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts