Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this drive anybody else crazy? Lists a car with just stupid statements

Survivor 1974 Trans Am 455, numbers matching, all original, 90,000 miles. Aluminum high rise, holley 750 double pumper, isky cam, fresh paint last year, car was originally white, now blue, 1978 WS6 Snowflake wheels, B&M shifter, catback exhaust, in dash cd player, t-tops. Yo won't find an example of a better 74 Trans Am anywhere.

$15,000

Survivor? All Original? Don't even know where to start.... its like they see words in other ads and just use them... but how do they figure all original when ...... oh, I give up!!!!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Is that any better than when a car is listed as "restored"?
With Cragers, Holley carb, headers and 500 watt radio?
(Yes, it annoys the *&%# out of me also...)
Scott

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Some folks are really mis informed about the correct term usage.
Survivor--As it was from the factory, no changes, none.
All original--This can mean a few things, to me it is almost the same as survivor.
Basically that car is a 74 Trans Am with a 455, nothing more.
Chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,

I agree

A Survivor is all original - paint, tires, interior, everything but the gas, oil and windshield wipers

Original - the way it was new, repainted in the original color, same graphics, wheels etc... like a survivor but restored. When my T/A is finally finished it will be original, but not a survivor, it will have all its original parts, but will be repainted, re-decaled and new seats - but all visually like when my dad bought it 27 years ago

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Some folks take the meaning of the word "original" literally......

the parts are probably original.......just not to the 74 Trans Am!!! :thumbsup:

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Rob,
Would agree with your definitions. Couldn't believe the stuff I was finding back in '96 when I was looking into buying a car from the past. Just seemed that they're certain people out there that would try or say anything to get that extra buck or two for their piece of (IMHO) junk. Needless to say, I didn't buy their original, c-8/c-9, classic MOPAR, all original, new paint and wide tires mouunted on Keystone Classics. :freak: ;) rr

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
o·rig·i·nal
adj.
1. Preceding all others in time; first.
2. Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
3. Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach. See Synonyms at new.
4. Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
5. Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.

Maybe it IS original! :D

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
You know what's worse than that? Adam's Cadillac is a Survivor. First year we showed it at the big indoor car show they tore him a new one because it still had all the original equipment. That meant the bias ply double white wall tires, battery, lacquer paint.......everything. He lost points everywhere and was placed in a RESTORED class because they didn't know what to do with the car. He was up against GTO's, Stangs or anything else that was an American convertible of 1967-69 vintage.

Kinda like the topic I started on classification a while back (classic, antique, milestone), terms are thrown around like a dollar bill in a wind storm. Maybe the white paint was painted directly over the original blue without removal first. Technically it still has original paint. LOL:freak:

·
Registered
477 Posts
LOL -rob-lol

hi Rob and sorry ,but LOL - its still cheaper then Camaro Jim's Chevy Z/28 XRAM intake and carbs and the rest of it . that he sold - for what mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm MMMMMMM -oh $22,000 and change ..........-

you car guys really crack me up -LOL - .but really some person who does not know anything and thats WAY TOO ChEAP to buy a book that explains the scoop - well they should give and get everything they are buyiing ..

maybe someday i will learn something about cars .my twin brother is the guy that writes the books not me . he keeps me locked up .help bennie boy.

oh you may still have 1 last box for the auction.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
To me & most in my car club . Original means original as it was built , Not repainted , re-upholstered or rebuilt drivetrain . Thats restored ! I see way too many cars at car shows claimed to be 'original' , when they're not ! Once its been repainted , its not original anymore . ... Normal maintanence items , such as tires , tune-up stuff , batteries , etc dont count .... Ive not heard much of the 'survivor' terminology before . But that basically means same as original . I too think people are idiots who claim a car is restored , but is really been hot rodded instead ....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does. Some people HAVE NO business SELLING anything - PERIOD! This guy must think everybody is an asinine idiot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts