Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Autorama was in town this weekend and one of the exhibitors there was bike builder Ron Finch. I'm a big fan of his work. He has a brilliant mind, and it shows in the bikes he builds. Finch was the the main reason I went to the show this year. I stopped at his display for an autograph and he talked to me for about ten or fifteen minutes. He is the absolute coolest. He talked to me like he had known me for years, telling me a couple of great stories in the process. I bought one of his posters and he signed it, but he was also gracious enough to autograph a flamed page in my sketchbook that I reserved for him. He even added a little flame to his signature just to tie it in with what I had drawn. After that he wished me luck with my art and shook my hand. I spent the rest of my time at the show walking on air. I was truly a great experience. I'm still smiling about it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What a great experience, Ron! Geez, I should have called you to see if you were going downtown. I was supposed to go with my son but he cancelled and I couldn't find anybody else to go with on short notice. Ended up staying home painting cars....cool flames by the way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RobDog said:
It just doesn't get any cooler than that, Ron! :thumbsup:
You're right Rob. First of all, how often do you get the chance to meet and talk with someone whom you truly admire? Secondly, how often does that person turn out to be totally cool when you meet him/her?

SkipperC said:
What a great experience, Ron! Geez, I should have called you to see if you were going downtown. I was supposed to go with my son but he cancelled and I couldn't find anybody else to go with on short notice. Ended up staying home painting cars....cool flames by the way :thumbsup:
Chris,
I almost didn't go down there. I was there Friday night to see the Symphony with my kids and it was hard not to think about what was going on in the big rooms. Saturday my wife had to go away for most of the day so I had to stay home with the kids. She got home after 5:00, and by that time I wasn't in the mood to go downtown. I forced myself though, and I was glad I did.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RobDog I went to a Seattle auto show way back in the seventies said:
not[/i] there,the Batmobile was one of the flocked versions.
(evidently, to hide crazed,cracked and nasty fiberglass work) I was bummed.

On top of that,the only star there who was signing autographs, was Lindsay Wagner,aka Jamie Sommers,aka the Bionic Woman ....ewwwwwww,not a great consolation prize.

I went back to the Batmobile ,crossed the velvet ropes,got inside and played with the knobs.

Security asked me to leave that day, but that was my consolation prize!:devil:
I'd be bummed too.Man you're luck they didn't send Jamie Sommers after you. I used to see her on that show of hers, and she was pretty strong Mister! Of course, all of that physical exertion she did in the seventies took its toll on her. Now all she does is sell beds on television.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Very cool Ron, very cool!! Glad you went.

Rob, I saw that in the 60s and couldn't figure it out then.. it was the Batmobile, but it wasn't... talk about screwing with a kid's mind!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time! That's cool - like it was said, nothing better than meeting someone you respect and having them turn out to be cool to hang with. Unlike some so-called celebrities...

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark,
Finch's bikes are like an acid trip on wheels, and he looks like Merlin the Magician. It's a perfect fit.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
It's always nice to find a celeb who isn't overcome by their ego. Never met Ron Finch, but I have met and worked with a lot of my childhood favorite comic book artists, including Ron Lim...who was the artist of Silver Surfer. Yours truly inked the Surfer/Warlock vs Thanos print below. I also inked Ron's rendition of Batman...one of my favorite pics. Limited edition prints are available (shameless plug)...without the reflection of me and my camera.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts