Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to sell my go-kart, and I just received an email that sounds like one of those scams I'm always hearing about. I'm just curious - how does this work? I mean, if he sends me a certified check, and I deposit the thing and find out it's no good, what did I lose. If I still have the kart, and refuse to release it, how do I lose money? There must be more to this than I understand. Anybody able to explain it?
Here is the email I received. Obviously, I've already told him it's cash or nothing. I'm just wondering how it all works.

Hello ,
Thanks for you quick responce i will be buying
this item from you and ,i will like to tell you that
i will be paying with a certified check in us
dollars
and as for the shippinpment my shipper will come
for the pick up
at your location upon your confirmation of
receiving the payment and i
dont want you to look for any other buyer. i would
have love to come
down for the pick up.but am not chance to do that
now but am satisfy> with your discription of the item i will like to
have the following information so that i can send the
payment without delay.....
.your full name to be on the check
.your full contact address to send the payment to
.your zip code

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
They send you more money then you ask for, they want you to cash the check and send them the extra money back, then when the check bounces your screwed. Or, you ship the item before the check clears.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone suggested that they can get your banking info when you deposit the bogus check, but I have no idea if that is true.
I would like to think that the people that get ripped off are dealing with a better class of crook than this guy. I mean, if you're going to try to talk me into falling for your scam, learn the stinkin' language first! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
"Certified" checks really take up to five days to clear (be determined bogus). Banks often release you the money instantly or withing three days and you end up stuck when it all falls apart. Do some Google searchs, this is a VERY common scam.

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Since this is a subject about scams, I just got an e-mail that liiks like this.....

It read: Dear Nick Shonsky,

The entire message besides my name is one big pic with a hot button to "Dispute Claim".

THIS IS A SCAM. If you get an e-mail like this, report it to PayPal.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just got hit with another one last night. I got a phone call about renewing my AutoWeek subscription. I'm on the "Do Not Call" list, so I normally only get calls from companies I already do business with, so I didn't think anything of it. The girl said she was from AutoWeek, and made her sales pitch, and I said I'd sign up for two more years. Then she sends me to her "supervisor", who trys to get my credit card number or a check over the phone. I told her she'd have to bill me which she agreed to do. At the end of the conversation she said something about being from Global Readers, and that set off an alarm, since I know AutoWeek is a Crain magazine. I called Crain this morning and sure enough, it was a scam. AutoWeek had actually carried an article about renewal scams a while back, so I'm glad I remembered it.
If they actually send me a bill, it will go right to AutoWeek, since they are already investigating this outfit. I wonder if it would be worth forwarding a copy to the Do Not Call people as well, since I shouldn't be getting these calls anyway?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts