1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I had a '67 Dodge Dart GT w/HP 273 4 speed. When I bought the car someone had replaced the clutch assembly with a 6 cyl unit. A common practice if you use the correct parts. I replaced the clutch with correct V8 parts.:thumbsup: First time out the left motor mount broke.:freak: Replaced both motor mounts and transmission mount. Should have tied down the left side of the motor also.:hat: More motor mounts. Once the clutch was broke in, readjusted it and did a 5000 side step launch. The front end of the car came up, then the motor almost over revved, the front came down hard and I coasted to a stop. Pushed it back into the shop. Being 17 years old and not thinking:eek: I should have replaced the whole rear axle. Again a previous owner replaced the rear end with a 6 cyl 7 1/4 rear end:confused: That last launch ripped every tooth of the ring gear!:freak: So after repleacing the rear end with a good 8 3/4 rear end w/posi, several chassis adjustments, front end alignments (it looked kool all jacked up but was terrible for just about any kind of driving), tire and wheel changes, a lot of late night work, missing dates due to my car being torn down, I got the car where it should have been.:thumbsup: I only did the side stepping clutch launch a couple more times. A lot of practice launches and rear tire replacements I was able to get the car to launch REAL hard.

Marty

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
woof... You can disregard or bend some laws, but not the laws of physics! Amazing what I didn't know when I was younger.

Story reminds me of a guy who lived up the road from us when I was 13 or so, loved to dump the clutch on his Firebird for short bursts right in the neighborhood, over and over. After two or three to show off to us, big grinding sound then it wouldn't move.... Bet he didn't like a bunch of 10-13 y/o's laughing at him.

Fooling with old Afla now, and the rubber guibos are prone to fail if old or if power is significantly increased. Don't want the sharp end of a driveshaft flailing at you throw the tunnel either. Some severe injuries have resulted. Scattershield & driveshaft loop is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
382 Posts
He is claiming 620hp and didnt put a scatter shield on what an idiot its not like he was some young kid who didnt know better maybe just a dumb adult who just wanted hp but didnt know all the other important stuff that went with it. lol Thats how Big Daddy lost part of his foot in a front engine dragster I think he is the one who came up with the scatter shield.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
I gotta go with shocker on this yutz. Pretty typical stuff...many owners want more ponies but wont pay for the extra corral to hold them. If it has anything to do with saftey or common sense they'll pencil whip it more often than not.

Any dumbass that side steps a clutch with a CLAIMED 600 hp and no added saftey gear is potentially pulling the pin on a grenade. "Sure glad I didnt kill the kid that was just standing there!" duh huh huh huh....duh huh huh huh huh huh huh

Ya think?

Too bad a piece of that shrapnel didnt perform the home vasectomy and drain his gene pool.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Thats how Big Daddy lost part of his foot in a front engine dragster I think he is the one who came up with the scatter shield.
He didn't come up with the idea for scatter shields. But that accident is the reason he developed the rear engine dragster.

Marty

·
Registered
806 Posts
I know nothing about scatter shields, etc. Maybe that is why I don't side step clutches. It seems to me if you are going to put this much horsepower in a car and attempt to perform this launch that you would know what you need to do to the car to avoid soemthing like this. Did he even have the right clutch for this much power?

If I put a hop up gear in my tjet, throw in some dash magnets and wizzard brushes, do I have to worry about stuff like this?

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts