Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and finally a company has made a diecast of a matador even though its not a JL I will still have to get some and paint them green .
[IMG-LEFT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Siggy1265/Matador1.jpg?t=1176411731[/IMG-LEFT]

[IMG-LEFT]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Siggy1265/Matador2.jpg?t=1176411771[/IMG-LEFT]

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Very cool! Does it have a 304 or the 360 in it? What year? My father-in-law had a '74, not an X though. It was white with the green vinyl roof, very loaded. I drove it a few times, once to NH, a 3 hour plus drive, and it was a comfortable ride. Having a CJ5 at the time though, it was weird getting used to the width. My mother-in-law was always knocking the passenger side mirror off pulling into the garage.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Its a 1974 Matador X , It has a 360 in it . My father in law bought it new in 74 and it is still in great shape . It has bucket seats and a console in it . It needs a little TLC .

Dadvball said:
Very cool! Does it have a 304 or the 360 in it? What year? My father-in-law had a '74, not an X though. It was white with the green vinyl roof, very loaded. I drove it a few times, once to NH, a 3 hour plus drive, and it was a comfortable ride. Having a CJ5 at the time though, it was weird getting used to the width. My mother-in-law was always knocking the passenger side mirror off pulling into the garage.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Nice! We had two Matadors growing up. Not the X. They were both actually pretty sweet and surprisingly fast!

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
I'm sorry siggy, but since the day I first saw one back then, I have always thought this to be the single ugliest car ever built in my lifetime. That stands true some 32 years later. Not a single line on that car flows smoothly; every single one hurts the eyes.

AMC built some ugly cars in the Seventies, but this was one for the ages.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Come on Rich, don't you think the Pacer was just a little more homely? Almost looked like people were driving around in a fish bowl. :lol:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Dadvball said:
Come on Rich, don't you think the Pacer was just a little more homely? Almost looked like people were driving around in a fish bowl. :lol:
The Pacer is a veritable Ferrari compared to that Matador

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliment Rich . If you look at a Pacer its like a shrunken Matador With a higher roof . My Matador has past the test of time as it is 33 years old and unrestored and it looks good next 2 my 73 Mercury Montego that is restored !!
Whats in your Garage Rich ?

carnut2256 said:
I'm sorry siggy, but since the day I first saw one back then, I have always thought this to be the single ugliest car ever built in my lifetime. That stands true some 32 years later. Not a single line on that car flows smoothly; every single one hurts the eyes.

AMC built some ugly cars in the Seventies, but this was one for the ages.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
It is an odd design and it is like a squished and stretched Pacer, but that's what makes it so cool. It's not even half as ugly as an Aztek.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
siggy said:
Thanks for the compliment Rich . If you look at a Pacer its like a shrunken Matador With a higher roof . My Matador has past the test of time as it is 33 years old and unrestored and it looks good next 2 my 73 Mercury Montego that is restored !!
Whats in your Garage Rich ?
siggy, I can appreciate the shape that your Matador is in, it's obviously been well cared for over the years. I can also appreciate that someone obviously loves these cars, every car model deserves someone to be so dedicated to it.

Oh, the ugliest thing I ever had in my garage would have to be my Buick Apollo project car. Probably the ugliest Buick ever made, but it was being fitted with a 455 Stage 1 (you can get away with ugly, if you're fast! :p )

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
PWSchuh said:
It is an odd design and it is like a squished and stretched Pacer, but that's what makes it so cool. It's not even half as ugly as an Aztek.
The man is right. I completely blocked that hideous thing from my memory and can't even remember the last time I saw one of those. Compared to an Aztek, the Matador is a thing of beauty.

·
Vacation Needed
7,577 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the AMC's of a 70's. I must admit though, Siggy, you have a super nice unmolested Matador on your hands. With a little TLC, she could really shine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
carnut2256 said:
The man is right. I completely blocked that hideous thing from my memory and can't even remember the last time I saw one of those. Compared to an Aztek, the Matador is a thing of beauty.
I always thought these cars would have looked a lot better if they had been about the size of a Hornet. Very similar to the Marlin, it looked much better as the Tarpon concept car on the American platform, rather than on the Classic platform, as it was produced in 65-66.....though I do like the 67 based on the Ambassador. As for ugly, the Matador does not even come close to being as ugly as most of the Japanese cars built within the past 10 years.......that Toyota FJ is just plain nasty! And that new snoozemobile Camry ain't gonna win any beauty pageants, either!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts