1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Well...

I sent in a complaint letter to Ford,last year. IT was around the time I was starting to havce a lot of probs with my 92 Taurus.which was at about 97k miles on it.
IT was maintained very well,right before I bought it at 92k,and I kept up with maintenance.
There was sop many problems at 97k on...Too many for my taste. Their answer?
Quality has greatly improved over the years...
But then why so many more I see at Junk yards,newer ones?

Past history of 90 Fords is whats causing so many people to be leary about even buying...
I for one,If had money to buy a new car would stay far away from any Ford product from now on!
MY Taurus has so much money into it at this point,I cant afford to get rid of it.
The engine runs strong,damn oil pan just rusted thru though costing me $450.-.. NOW,its sitting on the lot of the garage that fixed it,until next month <sigh>

I feel for anyone who gets laid off,but hopefully they can find a better company

<sorry for the rant,but I have had many Ford/Mercury cars in the past that "gave up">

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I hate to hear that Ford is struggling, they have developed many great products in the past.
I've also learned that Ford Motor Company has donated $$$ Millions to the ACLU to fund all kinds of wacked lawsuits against our country and citizens. Example: the right for protestors to shout obscene and offensive remarks about dead soldiers directly at the soldier's family while they're grieving and trying to bury him/her at the cemetary.
This kind of nonsense has so offended many people of reasonable sensibilities that they refuse to buy Ford products.
This may possibly be one more thing that adds up to "what goes around comes around".

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Jeff Koch said:
I suspect that he'd blame it all on the Jews.
jk

Henry very well may have since he was a well-known anti-Semite, but the unfortunate truth is that his great-grandson and his management team are politically correct people who can't run a car comapny. I have never bought, nor ever will buy, a Ford product, including any of their overseas concerns. (I have two Volvos that were made pre-Ford).

That's not to say they have never made some cool cars, because they have. I just can't justify putting any money into their pockets.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You do know they figured out the progem Ford's been hading right??

Its circled on the grill! :D :D :D

Seriously though, everyone is complaing around here about shutting down the Norfolk plant (about 10 mins from my house). But i look at it this way... Its an automobile manufacturing facility (and a dang nice one too). They will always build cars there. We've had people from Toyota and Honda looking at the place about possibly buying it. So there will still be jobs, just not slapping beds on trucks, but doors on cars.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
besides the mustang they just don`t have much worth having.
The new fusion and zephyr are very nice cars but IMO it`s too little too late.
With gas prices so high of course they will take a big hit because of their truck sales.
I do see some decent cars now coming from GM and they seem to be rolling them out pretty fast so I believe they will pull out of this a lot better than ford.
Of course I`ll never own another GM product but at least they are making some very nice cars again. For example the new impala ss,malibu ss,all new saturns,tahoe,escalade.Also GM`s SUV`s seem to do a lot better than ford in the MPG area so this will help them a lot.
Also DCX does have a few cars that are saving them with quite a few more on the way but IMO they need to continue improving their MPG,specially on the new nitro.I was interested in getting one until I found out the mpg on it.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Ive never had any mechanical problems with the Ford products Ived owned . GM isnt in much better position than Ford either . GM needs to hire better stylists . There is few if any good looking cars / trucks from their entire lineup !!

The new Camaro is ugly in my opinion ... Fords Mustang & Dodges Challenger are 1000 % better looking !! The american car companies quality has improved a lot in recent times . They had to do something to keep their butts from getting whipped by the foreign cars . I believe the trouble started in the '70's when quality was so bad that they rusted out in 3 years , had tons of mechanical trouble too . But they still sold lots of cars , so they just kept making them like that until buyers tired of it & started buying elsewhere ... Now they are paying for it , but are trying to get back on top where they should be !! Unfortunately our sour economy isnt going to help any ... Unemployment in my area is the highest in the state .. Work is slow , so prospects for new car sales arent real good ...

·
Registered
870 Posts
I grew up around Fords, my dad was a T-Bird-Lincoln man and my grandfather owned Fairlanes and Galaxies, my first car was my grandfathers '69 Galaxie (so why do I now own a Pontiac??) but I think Ford lost touch with the American car buyer. They became so focused on Trucks and SUVs that they didn't pay enough attention to people that just want a regular car, one with style, good fuel economy, and excellent quality. In terms of style, they hit the mark with Mustang, and I've seen some nice Fusions (I have a couple of the Hot Wheels Fusions that were free in Frosted Flakes boxes) and they probably could have had something good going on with the now dead T-Bird if they had offered more horsepower, sportier suspension and not priced it so high, and lets not forget the GT, but the Taurus which did hold its own against the Camry and Accord started to look dated, and the Five Hundred is easy to forget, and the Focus is beginning to look average compared to offerings from other car makers.

A couple of months ago Car and Driver Magazine had an article about Ford's offerings in other countries and if Ford offered those cars in the US they might be doing better. They referred to the Australian Falcons

Super Pursuit

and the Focus offered in Europe

as examples of what Ford could do to bolster it's US offerings.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My Dad was an exec with Ford for twenty years, and if he were around today, this would cause him great pain. However, just sitting here blaming it all on poor management seems a little too easy. Both Ford and GM have astronomical overhead, costs that the import brands couldn't even imagine. How many hundreds of thousands of retired auto employees (not just union guys) are still out there collecting full benefits? They generally pay more to their current employees as well.
They've also taken a beating because of energy costs and the market. The U.S. market wanted trucks - GM and Ford delivered them in spades. They've both sold millions of them in the last decade or so. Heck, the F-Series does almost a million a year alone. Now gas is $3.00 a gallon, nobody is buying them, so both companies got hammered.
As for quality, all 3 US makers are really about the same. I work for a leasing company with an LVI in excess of 500,000 units, and I spend all day reviewing repair orders and negotiating with the manufacturers for policy adjustments. Import brands haven't made huge inroads into the fleet business yet, so I can't speak about them, but as for the big 3, every car has it's own specific problems. One model might have a problem with trans seals, another loses intake gaskets, while something else has chronic front end problems. Cars are machines, they are not perfect.
As for the person with the 1992 Taurus - trying calling Sony to complain about a 14 year old television, or even a 3 year old computer, and see what the response is. Try calling any manufacturer with a complaint about a 14 year old product, and I gaurantee you will get the same response.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My 03 Sable just turned 111,000 and except for lousy brake rotors is a great car. My 95 Buick had 120,000 on it and needed just new struts to make it a terrific and reliable car. The US manufacturers make good cars that can compete dollar for dollar with anything built anywhere in the world.

The cause of the current financial difficulties at Ford and GM sits directly with the oil companies and the politicians. Look at the astronomical profits the oil companies have racked up over the past few years and tell me they are not gouging us. We all wanted gas guzzlers and the domestics gave them to us. The oil companies decided to maximize their profict to the downfall of the companies who gave us what we wanted. Oil prices are falling now in time for the upcoming elections. Coincidence? I think not.

I have a frien who just had his Honda in for the 100,000 mile check and tune to the tune of $2000. If someone tried that with an American car the owner would have a coronary. My brother-in-law bought an 07 Honda Accord and cannot get the windows to stop rattling. Every manufacturer makes a few dogs in with the overall quality of most of their cars. I wish people would stop harping on a few bad cars and look at the overall quality of all cars both domestic and foreign.

As for those Australian cars that look so hot, check out the prices. The Australians pay dearly for any car but especially the hot ones.

·
Banned
231 Posts
I could care less if Ford still existed. Over paid workers and very low quality on most of their cars and trucks. The problem is that workers are over paid and don't take pride in what they are making. Most workers from the big 3 make well over $30 and hour and if you work in the benefits and pensions that only drives up the price of manufacturing. Most of those line jobs are at the most $20 an hr jobs. People can point fingers at GM being crap but at least they have TWO brands that made the top five JD POWERS list in quality being Cadillac and Buick behind Lexus and Toyota. I've stop liking ford since the early 70s. They've really messed things up in the last few years. That Firestone fiasco was the beginning of their problems. I know the other big two have their problems but nothing like Ford has had in the past few years. Recalls on top of recalls and still that has not made an impact on execs to make big changes. As far as EDSELDAVEs comments about GM lacking style and not caring for any of their cars that's a FORD MANS opinion which means nothing. The Camaro is the less appealing of the thre retro cars from the big three but again to each his own. I wish they made the origianl proto that looks like the 67 Camaro. That would have really been nice to se on the road. Another GM exec with crap for brains. Other than that GM has great looking cars and trucks but again to each his own .... GM has just increased their warranty for and extra year/20kms and 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Ford and Chrysler will have to follow which can only be a good thing for everyone. The Japanese cars may be more expensive but well worth the money. They have better quality and reliability in their vehicles so why buy ford. After all who wants to buy a
Found
On
Road
Dead vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Doesnt much matter to me. I'll keep buying Fords as long as I can pay for them.
The General Motors products I have purchased over the years have left me walking one too many times.
I was a strict Mopar man for a couple of decades, until I walked into a dealership in the nineties looking at brand new Ram pickups,
A salesman told me if they didnt make $5,000 on every truck they sold, they just wouldnt sell them.
Have not been back into a Dodge/Chrysler dealership since.
I know a dealership has to turn a profit, just like any other company,
but to have a scumbag salesman tell me how he rakes customers over for an easy five grand just doesnt do it for me.

Around this region, Dodge, Chevrolet, GMC and Ford RULE.
But I'll always prefer a Ford over all the rest.
and after a ride in some of my FORD vehicles, I have made believers out of more than one person.

Ford will survive this crisis, and will probably streamline operations in the United States, just as all of the Big Three have been forced to.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
CJTORINO said:
I was a strict Mopar man for a couple of decades, until I walked into a dealership in the nineties looking at brand new Ram pickups,
A salesman told me if they didnt make $5,000 on every truck they sold, they just wouldnt sell them.
Have not been back into a Dodge/Chrysler dealership since.
I know a dealership has to turn a profit, just like any other company,
but to have a scumbag salesman tell me how he rakes customers over for an easy five grand just doesnt do it for me.
that was just a cocky saleman that`s probally flipping burgers now.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
fly__life said:
As far as EDSELDAVEs comments about GM lacking style and not caring for any of their cars that's a FORD MANS opinion which means nothing.
Means as much as yours or my opinion

1 - 20 of 35 Posts