Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody who gets Mopar Action monthly,probably read these fun filled Top Fuel fueler facts,but some of them are interesting enough to post here:thumbsup:

There are no Rockets or Airplanes built anywhere in the world that can accelerate as fast as a Top Fuel dragster or Funny car,and that includes any aircraft launched by catapult from an aircraft carrier.

1 Top Fuel 500 cubic inch engine makes more horsepower than the first "4" rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle a Top Fuel engine consumes 1.5 gallons of nitromethane per "Second".

A stock 3G Hemi V8 (5.7 i'd assume) engine cannot produce enough power to drive a Top Fuelers Supercharger.

With 3,000 Cubic Feet of air being rammed in by the Supercharger on overdrive,the fuel mixture is compressed into a near solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of Hydraulic lock at full throttle.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug.
This is the output of a small arc welder in each cylinder

Sparkplug electrodes are totally consumed during each pass .
After half track the engine is diesaling from compression,plus the glow of the exhuast valves at 1400 degrees F.
The engine can only be shutdown by cutting the air/fuel flow.

In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds,dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's.
In order to reach 200 MPH before 1/2 track,the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.
The average redline is 9500 RPM.

By my calculations the motor turns roughly 702 revolutions to make one pass,then is totally rebuilt.
9500 rpm divided by 60 seconds = 158.34 revs per sec
Schumachers record of 4.428 still stands as far as i know.
4.428 seconds times 158.34 revs per second = 701.13 crankshaft revolutions per pass
If you think about it,that's letting your daily driver car idle for less then a minute,then rebuilding it,each and every minute,lol

Assuming everything is paid off,the crew worked for "free",and nothing blows up,each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per "Second",ouch:p.

Putting this into perspective.

A Top Fueler is sitting at the start line a mile up the road,you're in a brand new Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06 Corvette.
You have a 200MPH advantage when you hit the startline with your mile long flying start,the tree goes green for both of you the instant you cross the startline.
The Top Fueler launches and starts after you,and with-in 3 seconds catches and passes you,he beats you to the finish line,a 1/4 mile away from the start line where you just passed him at 200 MPH.
Think about it,from a standing start the Fueler spots you 200 MPH,and not only caught you,but blew your doors off with-in 1320 ft,and that my friends is "ACCELERATION".

There's more trivia,but i'm only a one finger typer,and i grabbed what i thought were the most interesting trivia facts:wave:

I also thought it was kinda ironic that a Mopar mag was using a Vette as their comparision,guess the new Viper wasn't thought of,lol.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I threw in the crankshaft revolutions made during a good pass,that usually gets alot of guys;).
That's when the cost factor start to set in,i'd like to know what each turn of the crankshaft in a Top Fueler costs,if it doesn't break,;):wave:
Whole lot of variables to that cost factor,but i bet it's way more then we think:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Rick....

Funny that you posted that.

A few days ago at work drag racing was on all of the TVs(I run the food part of a big sports bar with about 20 big flat panels)I was talking about how few revs the car actually makes from beginning of race to the end,could not remember that number.

I think you may have been the guy that posted a bunch of stuff like this going back a few years.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LOL,i'm always posting these kinds of trivia facts.:thumbsup::wave:

The last one i think i had the crank turns posted on was Eddie Hills 4.99 run from way back in the late 80's,and it was just over 800 crank turns then.

I'm amazed that Schumachers 4.428 still stands,that ones getting to be a 1/2 dozen years old now.

Most guys are amazed at how many turns the crank makes in a pass,if the tires don't blow off.
Even giving them 40% for tire slip,and that's giving them alot,it's my understanding tire slip if things are hooked up solid,is more in the 4 to 6% range,it's still under a 1,000 crankshaft revolutions for a pass.

According to Clay Millican off Speed this morning,they're hitting a 100 MPH in less then a second,that's hard to comprend,wonder what your hand weigh's at those G's ,lol.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts