Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you CT guys, bear with me. In Sunday's Hartford Courant (3/18/07) was an article about a proposal the Governor is trying to get through. Boring details aside, we here in CT have a town called Greenwich. (it's pronounced "gren-itch"). Greenwich is more of a NYC suburb than a suburb of any CT city. Greenwich is home to some of the country's wealthiest people. Folks like Diana Ross, Tommy Hilfiger, Bobby Bonilla, Regis Philbin, to name a few. In this town of approx. 62,000 people, there is a billion dollar's worth of motor vehicles including 39 Rolls Royces, 40 Maseratis, 65 Aston Martins, 90 Bentleys, 94 Ferraris, 4 Maybachs and one Lamborghini registered. (I didn't bother w/ the Mercedes, BMWs or Porsches) According to the article, Hilfiger owns a one million dollar Enzo Ferrari.
A few years ago while on my friend's boat, we stopped to gas up on the CT River at the mouth of Long Island Sound. Up on a hill at this point lives a wealthy owner of multiple car dealerships. Coming down the hill to the waterside was a car I immediately recognized: a McLaren F-1! At the dock were some of this guy's attendants (some of whom were on board this man's ship (too big to be called a boat or yacht). While my friend was gassing up his boat, I spoke with one of these attendants. Purchase price of the McLaren: $800K. Cost to make it 'street legal' in the States: $200K. At the time, this was one of 3 in the U.S. The other 2 were owned by Calvin Klein. I was drooling over a $1M car close up!! :eek:
Now, I'm sure you guys in Southern California see many exotics all the time. This is CT - the third smallest state in the Union. But apparently, we have our own "Rodeo Drive"; it's called Greenwich Avenue in Greenwich, CT. ;)

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SkipperC said:
Wow :cool: What was the guv's proposal? A citywide ban on pickups and minivans???? :p
5 year phase out of the automobile property tax. :drunk: The article compared the plan and its effects to less affluent CT towns...

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
5 year phase out of the automobile property tax. :drunk: The article compared the plan and its effects to less affluent CT towns...
I'm not rich, or a resident of CT(thankfully :tongue: ), but I agree with the phase out of this confiscatory tax. If they can do it to cars they can do it to Diecast if they so choose. Afterall they are money grubbing politicians :mad: Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Interesting..I'm not familiar with auto property taxes, but I've seen wide variations in registration fees... when I lived in Ohio, IIRC it was a flat rate of $25/year or so..but here in Colorado, it's based on the value of the vehicle..when I bought my Jeep in 2000, it was about $650 to register...that amount has come down each year, though, with depreciation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts