Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you've owned? Maybe your first car...maybe your last car...all the work you put into it...the times you had driving it...doing stupid stuff that shouldn't have been done in it...fixing it some more...trying to make it look cool to impress a girl...making it fast to impress your buddies...and of course the girl...maybe it just signifies a great time in your life.

For me, I had a 55 Chevy that I bought after being in a hospital for 6 months. My dad and I worked on the car day and night to get it running and looking good. We never were able to finish it before my dad passed away. I had to sell it because I just couldn't work on it without him. When ever I think of that car I cherish the memories it brings of times I had with it.

Here is a video that made me start thinking about this. Its about a kid and his truck.
http://www.highrevphoto.com/fish/piecetribute1.wmv

Are cars cool or what?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
My first new car ever was a '92 Nissan NX2000. Had it for 11 years. All I ever wanted out of it was 200,000 on the clock, and I got that. (Wife was driving when the clock turned ... I didn't speak to her for two days once I found out it turned and she didn't tell me. I have since recovered.) It moved with me from NJ to CA to MI/IN...it didn't make it back to CA; a 200K mile car worth $500 didn't make sense to spend $1000 we didn't have for transport. So I sold it to a kid in Ohio who moved to Florida, and is currently blinging it out, with hopes of putting an SR20DET and an AWD Japan-spec Pulsar driveline in it. I cried on the way home, even before I knew he over-revved it and blew it up.

jk

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My high school car was a 1969 Plymouth Fury I, blue, primer and rust, with electrical problems so sometimes I had to jump the solenoid to start it.

But I still liked the styling of that two-door sean body.
I hope some day to get a convertible version like the blue one I saw at the Gratiot Cruise this summer.

i would love to see JL do this one, sedan or convertible. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
My all time favorite was my 1987 Saab 900S hatchback. Five speed manual, great handling, fantastic brakes and when you fold down the rear seats you had a station wagon. It was totaled in from of my office at 5:10am on a Saturday morning. I was going in to work some overtime for the first time in 10 years. A women ran the light and broadsided me. I was bruised and confused but otherwise fine. I still get misty eyed evertime I see one or pull out some old photo's. :( :( :(

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
I have a 1959 VW Convertable. I bought it in college about 20 years ago. I named it Billie after a stripper I knew way back when... They both perfered to be topless. Bille is currently undergoing a restoration. My wife has never driven the car and now my 14 year old daughter is making noises to drive my car. My wife will be pissed if my daughter drives it first. This could be fun someday.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i once owned a black inside and out 78 camaro Type LT with T-tops, my first car, bought for me by my dad...who passed away about a year before my son was born. i took it to a mechanic to have some work done on it. the steering column was already loose. and as he was was trying to push it into the garage the column busted, he was pushing on it. never drove it again. i bought a 2000 S-10 and sold the camaro for $50..that's all the mechanic said i could sell it for. i think i was ripped. will never forget that car...even with all the other problems it had.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
My first car was a '71 Chevelle. I had patch work done in the quarter panels, replaced everything else, and had it painted white. The next 2 owners trashed it, but then the 3rd owner after me did a frame-on restoration and it looked very nice. I wonder where that car is today.

I am very attached to my 2 current cars, a '93 Trans Am and a '99 Trans Am. http://jlmuscle.tripod.com. I even told my wife that when I get a newer car to replace my '93 that I'm going to put it in storage somewhere for me and my son to restore when he's old enough.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
I named it Billie after a stripper I knew way back when... They both perfered to be topless. Bille is currently undergoing a restoration. My wife has never driven the car and now my 14 year old daughter is making noises to drive my car. My wife will be pissed if my daughter drives it first. This could be fun someday.
Wasn't she already pissed enough when she found out your car was named after a stripper ex-girlfriend?!?

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
In 1985 I owned a '79 Z28 dark blue with light blue stripes. Had matching dark blue alloy wheels and T-Tops. Just an awesome ride. But, I was a nieve teenager, didn't think I needed to lock it. The thought that anyone would steal it never entered my mind. They did. I wept like a little girl. Sold it a few months later (what was left of it anyway). Yes, almost 20 years later, I still miss that car! A few more therapy sessions and I'll be just fine.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
I have a 1959 VW Convertable. I bought it in college about 20 years ago. I named it Billie after a stripper I knew way back when... They both perfered to be topless. Bille is currently undergoing a restoration. My wife has never driven the car and now my 14 year old daughter is making noises to drive my car. My wife will be pissed if my daughter drives it first. This could be fun someday.
Ok, I gotta ask.....are you a Slicer teacher or what? If so, do you know coach Schellinger?

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
PWSchuh said:
Wasn't she already pissed enough when she found out your car was named after a stripper ex-girlfriend?!?
It wasn't an ex girlfriend :cry: She was just a friend. I WISH she was my girlfriend. She was bi :cry:

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
MARKHOS said:
Ok, I gotta ask.....are you a Slicer teacher or what? If so, do you know coach Schellinger?
Why yes I do. As a matter of fact I was a freashman coach under him for a couple of years. Now I just teach Social Studies.
Mr. T. :wave:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The closest vehicles I ever came to being sentimental over;
my 67 Impala SS..............................stolen
my 1970 442...................................stolen
my custom 1954 3/4 ton Chevy pu......stolen
my 1968 Ford pu custom cab..............stolen
my pimped out 73 T-bird with a 460.....stolen
my tricked out 1961 Ford panel van......totalled
my tricked out 1970 Ford panel van......totalled
my 1976 Malibu Landau.......................totalled

moral of the story.....don't drink and drive :freak:

The most I've ever "loved" a car, was my 1980 Subaru Brat-1800 GL
It was the spunkiest,most fun driving little bastard on wheels.
When I got my first new truck,the wife said it was no longer feasable to keep liscensing and insurance on the Brat..it had to go.

I interviewed buyers for it, until I found a mountain man, who would actually use it for what it was meant...fun.
As it turned out, he fixed it's every little quirk and still enjoys it every day.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Why yes I do. As a matter of fact I was a freashman coach under him for a couple of years. Now I just teach Social Studies.
Mr. T. :wave:
Well any friend of a Schellinger, is a friend of mine.

Your daughter will want to paint the bug orange I'm sure or maybe you'll get lucky and you can talk her into black but I'm sure she'll accesorize it with orange!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have had three that I really "loved"
#1 1972 Pontiac Lemans. Brown with brown top. I could take it and do things only a 17 year old could think to do with a car. It had a 350 and would burn rubber until you let off the gas. My Grandmother never knew why she could not keep tires on the back of it. She got sick and my parents sold it but not till I got #2
#2 1978 Pontiac Firebird Esprit Redbird. In 1980 my parents gave it to me for my 18th b-day. It was two years old with 5,000 miles. My daily driver off and on for 20 years. I still have it and when I find the money she will be like new again.
#3 3 months before my 40th b-day in 2002 I bought my first new car. 2002 black WS-6 T/A. I still "love" it.

G

·
1974 Mustang II Coupe - 4 cyl, auto - my first car... I loved that car

1976 Trans Am - white... my first Trans Am... I loved that car

1979 Trans Am - red, red, red... my first New Trans Am... I loved that car

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
RobDog said:
The closest vehicles I ever came to being sentimental over;
my 67 Impala SS..............................stolen
my 1970 442...................................stolen
my custom 1954 3/4 ton Chevy pu......stolen
my 1968 Ford pu custom cab..............stolen
my pimped out 73 T-bird with a 460.....stolen
my tricked out 1961 Ford panel van......totalled
my tricked out 1970 Ford panel van......totalled
my 1976 Malibu Landau.......................totalled

moral of the story.....don't drink and drive :freak:

The most I've ever "loved" a car, was my 1980 Subaru Brat-1800 GL
It was the spunkiest,most fun driving little bastard on wheels.
When I got my first new truck,the wife said it was no longer feasable to keep liscensing and insurance on the Brat..it had to go.

I interviewed buyers for it, until I found a mountain man, who would actually use it for what it was meant...fun.
As it turned out, he fixed it's every little quirk and still enjoys it every day.
ROBDOG! Apparently you live in a real high crime rate area, and you shouldn't sit behind the wheel of any Ford Panel Vans, No comments on the 76 Landau!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
A 1977 Datsun 280Z 5spd coupe. I must have shared this story here dozens of times.
Short version: bought the car then 3 years old with 55 (odd isn't it Dan, that number "55" comes up again) original miles on it off of Robert E. Lee III of Westminster, California (the great grandson of the famous general who led the Confederacy to defeat against the North and looked like him too right down to the white beard).
My dream car since the first time I'd ever seen a Z that I paid for by myself; every red penny. Drove the living snot out of it. Had many great memories. Impressed lots of girlfriends. That car was a extension of me. Loved it. Wife hated it. When body rot claimed the car in 1993 (could not have been saved as the bottom panels were crumbling like potoato chips), the engine had 376,000 miles on it.
Still ran, but she just couldn't hold up.

I will get another Z someday. :thumbsup:

Good topic.

Ask me about the long version of this story; On the way to the bank to pay for my Z car, I passed up a '63 Vette split window dead cherry mint, same color (ice blue) for EXACTLY the same price I paid for the 280Z: EXACTLY $7825.00.
Take your pick.
I did and aside from the great times I had with my Z, still can't explain what I was thinking when I had this choice... :cry:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts