Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And a slow process at that. I ended up taking apart a couple of VW Beetles, the original car I was planning for myself and another I decided to do for a friend. But these a 1/24 scale cars, and I thought...hmmm, maybe I should get in a bit of practice on a 1/64 first. If I make mistakes, it'll be a less costly learning experience. So grab a little VW Ghia (silver...a color I wasn't crazy about) and take it apart, sanding it oh so gently. Then I cut up plastic garbage bags to cover a small desk and surrounding wall. Living in an apartment with no real work space really stinks when it comes to attempting thing like this.

So I transform part of my little den into what looks like a space where a serial killer is going to butcher his first victim. I lay the body of the defensless Ghia upon the alter of my art and decap a can of black testors, shaking it vigorously, then letting fly a black mist, which not only coats my poor victim, but fills the room with a fogatary of an ill climatory magnitude. To which, I have to leave a fan in the window for several hour until it clears. Then onto coat two. All the while, I reminded myself that the guy at the local hobby shop told me the spray can would be easier for this step because I wouldn't have to clean my airbrush between colors as often. HAH!

This process, completed in about three coats, finally behind me, I thus proved that not all advice was good advice in such cases. So I moved on to phase two: the masking off for flames. This took a couple of attempts before I figured I would be painting part of the flames by hand and leaving open only those areas I would lay down a base coat of yellow. This took several coats as well in order to cover the black. And no, I didn't really plan ahead when I covered the entire car in black testors. Mmmm-mmmm-good for me!

Then (after drying, of course) I remasked the front of the car and part of the roof to lay down a strip of orange. This went pretty quickly, since I was basically covering part of the yellow. I then added a red outline around the orange part of the flames by hand, and arced the flames back along the sides of the car and it's roof. This thought inspired a name for this piece: the "Arc-Light." All great works of art need names, right?

By the time I finished the red, I was feeling pretty good about that part of the job, moving right along...but I notices the line between the yellow and orange colors wasn't as clean as I hoped it would be. So I decided an accent of silver might clean it up an look cool at the same time. This part disturbed me at first. I thought of resanding the whole thing. I decided to sleep on though, and by morning it looked better than I first thought...si I decided to keep going.

This little project turned out to be a spontaneous effort of trial and error. (And I'm leaving out how while painting the white interior black and red, I need to remove the steering wheel and ended up snapping it off. ) But now I am in the process of clear coating it. I expect by tomorrow night the Arc-Light will be rebuilt and ready to pose for it's first pic. The results of this test, like all pieces of art, is not what I first envisioned. I won't say it better, I won't say it worse, because in some aspects it's both in my opinion. It is a BWF, of that there is no doubt. It may even be slightly unconventional compared to most BWF's I've seen produced. But will the committee find it worthy? Aye, there's the real test.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
:drunk: Jeeesh!! Ya got that fan blowin' the fumes into CT!! I'm gettin' whooozy :drunk: Oh, wait a minute, that's from the polish remover and lacquer thinner I was using this past weekend to detampo a few pieces... ;)

Sounds like you jumped right in, Robert. Looking forward to viewing your masterpiece! :cool:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about masterpiec, but it's ready to be put back together...just as soon as the glue dries on a couple of reassembled pieces. I'm going to see if I can print up a tiny license plate meantime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts