Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O/T...digging for buried treasure.......................................... ..........

Hi everyone, a quick story to tell and question to ask--how many "dig" for buried treasures???? I bought my property several years ago and about a few years into living here, I noticed that there was a bunch of trash that was "buried" in my wooded area. We dug a bit there and found some bottles/cans/etc; but did not think much of it. Well, today, a few MORE years later, the wife and I, along w/ our Little one decided to "re-visit" our sight. We dug and dug and discovered some treasures, I think. We found old bottles from the late 1800's and early 1900's and even some OLD farm eqipment pieces--(I verified on-line) Where I live is very OLD farm-land. I plan do do a lot more digging over the next few weeks before the frost really sets in..I have NO plans to sell what I find; but the excitement to un-earth these very old pieces is a rush. Have any of you done this or know of an area where they may be that "secret" stash that you have not yet gone to???? Thanks, mikeslightnings :wave:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Thats cool. old bottles and stuff like that are always fun to find.
we dig on our property, and all we come up with is boring old Dinosaur bones.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I didn't think it was good for ecology, but my Dad buried four old Chevrolet engines in our backyard back in the early 1960's

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hey Mike,

Sounds like you are having some FUN :thumbsup: I've watched a few shows about hunting for "treasure". You might want to take a few moments to stop in at your local courthouse and see if they have any OLD records or land maps of your property. They might who you where old buildings might have been. If your property had an old outhouse, you should dig there. A lot of things got thrown in with the "you know what". Some OLD bottles are really worth a lot of $$$. So you never know. Good luck on your treasure hunt and keep us informed on what you find.

Scott

P.S. - I for one would like to see pics of the stuff you find.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
Me and my dad used to go to an old indian village and dig up arrowheads and pottery. When he was a kid he found an entire clay pot with markings. We also found musket balls and bone tools. Best time for hunting is early spring and late fall when the water churns soil. When my parents moved on there land they found half of an officers pistol from the civil war. I recently found a broken greywater pipe in some mud here at the house I live in. Not my best find.

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
As a kid I used to go with my dad and find old dumps and such. Dug up a lot of cool stuff. Bottles, insulators and even jewelry and car parts. Have a pair of onyx and gold cufflinks I unearthed. They were inside a canning jar and so survived unscathed.

My favorite find is a blob-top beer bottle from a local Detroit brewery. I stll know where a good dump is in a neighboring town and always say I'm going back there to dig but never do. People years ago didn't have trash pick-up as we do today. They simply found the nearest hill or gully and thew it in.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
yep. me and my dad would go dumping as he called it. go to old dumps and dig. mostly bottles and a few ink wells.
we would throw the chain saw in the back of the 4x4 and follow old farm stone walls. once we found a lantern on the stone wall in great shape then we noticed humps in the ground and started digging and found 6 what use to be crates of dishes cups and tools.
my dad would go to the house of records to find old farms and houses. in this area of newhampshire.
i have had my metal detector for around 5 years now and plan to use it more here as soon as i can. to many hobbies get in the way right now. the south is full of great history.
check your area out on computer for groups that do this type of stuff. usally thay meet once a month.
i did a search on gold in georgia and wow! there is more than gold here. and there are clubs right in town that do outtings once a month.
great way to make new friends and get the family involved.
good luck on your finds.:wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been hunting Arrowheads my Whole Life i have Accumulated about 10,000 points, if You think toy cars are expensive try indian relics:freak:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Well, I didn't have to "dig" for it, but it was kinda buried. About 7 years after we bought our house we decided to have the hardwood floor refinished. It was carpeted, so the guy doing the job wanted me to pull up some of the carpet so he could check the condition of the floor. So I started to pull back on a section that had been cut by the previous owner, and started finding envelopes with letters, and cash. I found almost $800.00 in 10s and 20s. The sick elderly woman that owned the house had a sister that would send her money to go to the doctor, but she ended up stuffing it under the carpet. To think we walked on this area everyday for 7 years and never knew there was buried treasure under our feet.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
I have been hunting Arrowheads my Whole Life i have Accumulated about 10,000 points, if You think toy cars are expensive try indian relics:freak:
Excellent! All of ours are from the iroquois nation, mostly mohawk. Your invited to come dig up here :thumbsup: I know a lot of spots that are not posted(I would verify that before I dig though). Plus fort ticonderoga is minutes from here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello everyone--I dug a bit more today--it is challenging to do when I work all day and daylight is at a premium right now and I am at a race against the ground getting solid. I am at awe at what I am finding....I have hit trash that HAS been buried for 100-130 years--I am finding a lot of bottles; just today 2 Coca Cola, many medicines, one from 1876, Liquor Bottles, Old Mr Boston from the 1940's, G.O. Blakes Whisky from the late 1800's-early 1900's. I am also finding many tins, tobacco and others; but these are in rough shape. My wife has found 2 soap dished--1 porceline and another brass which is dated 1909 on the back. I am a kid in a candy store and the deeper I dig, the better the finds--I will try to post a pic of some of this stuff in a few days--this is defintiely fun and on my OWN property to boot so I do not need to worry about being sneeky when I dig--LOL! Thanks, mikeslightnings :wave:

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I actually dug up a 1950's quarter from my backyard. It was in very nice quality and was found while installing my sprinkler system.

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
Sounds like fun Mike! If I lived in Maine I'd be digging in your yard while you were at work!;)
Keep us posted on your finds!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts