Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, has anyone seen this little beaut yet? I really dug this car when I saw the 1:1 concept a few years ago, and then everyone forgot about it. Now more recently I saw a 1/18 one several months ago, but I never thought they'd do a 1/64 version, especially one that I could pick up for 50 cents at Dollar General... this was in the Maisto assortment of boxed 2 for $1 cars. Sweet little casting... and would be even nicer for a customizer who's willing to do a wheel swap...

For those of you who have no idea what 1:1 car I'm blathering on about, check here:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2002-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-Concept.htm

Sorry for the O/T, but I figured there were some people here who'd get a kick out of this one...

--rick

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
They canyon is wide...

ParkRNDL said:
Hey, has anyone seen this little beaut yet? I really dug this car when I saw the 1:1 concept a few years ago, and then everyone forgot about it. Now more recently I saw a 1/18 one several months ago, but I never thought they'd do a 1/64 version, especially one that I could pick up for 50 cents at Dollar General... this was in the Maisto assortment of boxed 2 for $1 cars. Sweet little casting... and would be even nicer for a customizer who's willing to do a wheel swap...

For those of you who have no idea what 1:1 car I'm blathering on about, check here:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2002-Chevrolet-Bel-Air-Concept.htm

Sorry for the O/T, but I figured there were some people here who'd get a kick out of this one...

--rick
Hi Rick,
Very nice!
What other Maisto cars did they have at this Dollar General?
Any chance you might be able to pick up a couple of these for me (I will pay price/postage etc). Thanks.

Nice paint, detailed interior, painted silver trim and other niceties...2 for a dollar with this detail?! That is amazing!

Now for my favorite question: With the price of zinc at skyrocketing prtices so I have read, how do you suppose Maisto can produce this sort of quality for just .50c a car?

-Peter

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
On the pricing, well, I realize that recently there has been an increase in zinc, and I've read a little about it on the boards, but my main hobby is HO slot cars, so I haven't followed this too closely. I have a pretty good idea why these are cheap, though: If you look at the rest of the cars in the series, the windows are black plastic. The cars have no interior (unless they're convertibles like this one). There's virtually no undercarriage detail on the base, which is plastic. And the wheels feel kinda cheap and junky compared to MB and HW... and there's no comparison whatsoever between the feel of this car and a good solid heavy car with a metal bottom like a JL.

That said, I LOVE these things. Most of the castings are pretty crisp and well-proportioned, and the tampo detail is outstanding. It didn't come out in my pics, but on this car there's three little amber parking lights tampoed onto the front fenders that mimic the three little chrome (or gold or whatever) vents on the '57. The Bel Air script tampoed on the trunk lid is actually very nice... even if you have to look at it with a mangifying glass. Many of the other cars in this series are detailed this well too. You can see them here:

http://www.maisto.com/products.asp?id=54

or to navigate from Maisto.com, click on Products, then on Maisto Toys (there's a pic of an airplane by the link), then under the Cars & Trucks menu, click 3" MTA (Maisto Transit Authority). The Dollar Generals around here always have one or two assortment boxes of these out on the shelves. It always seems to be a mixed bag of what shows up in each assortment... never saw this Bel Air before the other night. Today I picked up a Cadillac DTS along with an extra Bel Air, which reminds me... you're in luck, I'll PM you in a few...

--rick

edit: sent an email, your PMs aren't turned on?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have never seen that casting, it looks good...I'll have to check out the Dollar General near me for it. As for the 1:1 car, I remember it and along with the Nomad concept, felt both of those cars should have been built instead of the SSR. I think they had apppeal to a bit more of a market than the SSR did. Personally, I think the SSR styling should have been applied to an S10 size pickup and marketed as the next S10 instead of producing that seriously ugly Colorado..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts