Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure its a long shot, but its worth a shot, and if it is viewed upon that this is the incorrect place to ask, please move to the correct place

Does anyone here know anyone that does PCM Programming? Preferably in the 3800 series 1 supercharged realm.

I need to get the PCM on my 91 Toronado reprogramed to go from a 91 3800 naturally aspirated non-EGR engine to power a 95 3800 Supercharged EGR engine.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
I'll check and see what I can find out.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Ok, after a quick look through the service manuals I would say it is not possable to convert the 91 PCM to work with the 95 engine. the PCM's between the two years are very different. To make it work you would need the PCM and wire harness from it to the engine. Also a wirring diagram from both years to correctly locate the power and ground circuts. There may also be differences between the Transmissions electricaly. It's not impossable but it looks like a labor intensive job.
Sorry.
Hope this helps.
Earl

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hurmm, well all that would need to be done to the PCM would be to allow for the timing adjustments and the fuel ratio and other stuff that is added with the supercharged engine.

Basicly, the engines are identical, 95 is the last year for the series 1 supercharged

Looking at your service manual, you MIGHT be looking at the series II engine for 95

1995 Debuted the Series II 3800, but the Supercharged 3800 was still the older Series I design.

On another note, it would be almost impossible to use the PCM that came out of the car I got the engine out of due to the BCM side of things. I got the engine out of a 95 Park Avenue Ultra, whom's computer is both a PCM and a BCM.

On my Toronado, the PCM and BCM are 2 Seperate units (in addition to the SIR(like most cars) and the IPC... a whole seperate computer to run my Instrument panal)

So i wouldn't even be able to pop the chip in its place

Tranny side of things, same tranny. 4T60E

PS: Appreciate the help by the way

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
I rechecked the manual and the 95 manual was for the Supercharged engine. The 95 was OBD 1.5 and used a pcm with 3 32 pin connectors and almost none of the Input/Output circuts matched, how ever the 91 Park Ave Ultra used the same pcm as yours so you may be able to use a PROM (program read only memory)chip for one of those and you may have to add a wire from the pcm connector #3/green from space C9 to the boost control. Also the 91 and 95 SC engines had EGR valves.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt think the 91 Ultra came supercharged, thought they intruduced that option in 92.

the 95 Engine did produce a wee bit more power than the 94-earlier sc engines, i wonder if the different PCM had anyhting to do with that, which is why it would be so much different.

Looks like ima have to do alot more research.

Actual dropping the engine in aint a big deal, only mods there are is to the fuel line and power steering line, and a few wires here and there, but other then that the engine is pretty much the same except with a s/c ontop of it and wires associated with it.

Thanks for the help, looks like ima have to spend some time over on the engine swap boards to figure this one out.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
91 SC Ultra was a mid-year offering(after feb of 91) I believe. The info was in a suplement to the 91 service manual. Best of luck , hope it works out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts