Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long are batteries supposed to last in a digital camera? If I put brand new Duracell batteries into mine, I can take about 12-15 pics before the low battery warning light starts flashing and then the camera dies. Is this normal? Seems like it's using an awful lot of juice. There's an AC adapter I can buy if this is par for the course...otherwise I'll be buying an afull lot of batteries.

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
I use rechargable batteries. They last for about 200-300 pictures before needing juiced up. I have 4 sets so I can always have extras. Much cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...I'll probably get that adapter...and look into the rechargable batteries as well.

This is just crazy. I like my camera, but can only use it in spurts before the batteries die.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The first camera I ever had was a Kodak. It used rechargable AA batteries. It they never lasted long. The last 2 cameras have been Sony's. Have the lithium-ion batteries and they last a long time.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
PWSchuh said:
12 -15 pictures? Something is wrong with your camera.

I agree. I would get it checked by the manufacturer before doing anything else. Even with rechargeables the nuisance factor is too much to put up with.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
PWSchuh said:
12 -15 pictures? Something is wrong with your camera.
I agree. I had a camera that did that and I sent it back to the manufacturer. They said there was a power drain or short in the camera. The fact that my wifes water bottle leaked on the camera once probably didn't help either. Bottom line is, if it's an internal failure, you're probably better off buying a new camera, because fixing cameras can be pretty costly.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a Fujifilm finepix A500. Alrighty...I've only had this since Christmas, but it sounds like it's not working properly. I thought the first batch of batteries might not have held a full charge, but I just keep going through them very quickly. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
It's a Fujifilm finepix A500. Alrighty...I've only had this since Christmas, but it sounds like it's not working properly. I thought the first batch of batteries might not have held a full charge, but I just keep going through them very quickly. Thanks, guys.
I also have a Fuji Finepix that I have had for 2 years. It will take about 300 pictures or so on one charge of the rechargeable batteries. Of course that depends on the megapixel setting, flash or no flash and how many times it gets turned on and off. All those actions require juice.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
New Camera's do use up some juice, and depending on if you use flash each time, that makes a huge difference. Also the length of time you have camera on with the led display running. 12 - 15 photos does seem kinda low, but as many have mentioned invest in rechargables. A must for digital photograhy.

Russ

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Puppycat said:
I use rechargable batteries. They last for about 200-300 pictures before needing juiced up. I have 4 sets so I can always have extras. Much cheaper in the long run.
I also use rechargable batteries.
The trick is having more than one set.
And keeping at least one spare set charged.
I always charge them for a minimum of 12 hours.
My charger has lights on it to indicate the charging status.
So buy top end rechargable batteries and charger.
And don't forget to buy one or two extra sets.
Certainly worth the investment.
BYW don't leave your camera on for extended periods of time.
Turn it on, use it, turn it off.
With the newer digital cameras that also take video clips,
they may use up quite a bit of juice.

I hope that our suggestions help.

Cheers. Cobra

1 - 15 of 15 Posts