Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished a fun project, started as a simple thing but grew to large proportions. An acquaintance gave me several 12" square stepping stones, more than 80. I started off just making a quick patio area next to the firepit, but got inspired to create a very large chessboard. After obtaining the fairly large set (there are even bigger ones but out of my pricerange) I needed to create a place to display the pieces, so I designed a shelf/rack structure, and added a few accents to finish it off. It worked out great, though the solar lights are too dim to realistically play at night. However, it does look ghostly and cool after dark.

Just a few more accents and a nice top edge design and it'll be complete...

:)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That is really cool! I must say, it would be cool to be a homeowner with a bit of property to play around on. Awesome job on the shelfing! :thumbsup:

1up

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a pretty good chunk to play with... I even have a website dedicated to my gardening, ponds, and NWF backyard wildlife sanctuary.

Owl's backyard site

Here's another wider shot of the Chess Set, includes the firepit...

I will probably remove the wood bench and opt for some flagstone or pavers inside the rack area, and add a few chairs that can be moved around to accomodate playing the game or trying to stay warm on chilly nights.

:)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Owl, that just a really, really cool project and very well executed. Lots of people get ideas but not that many people follow through with them. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Very nice owl! :thumbsup: Looks like you're ready for some BIG GAMES! :p

I saw a HUGE checkers gameboard in Maui at a hotel were I stayed. The squares had to be 3 feet!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
That is really cool! I do play, just not very good at it. That would make it a lot more fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts