Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep it short.

After dealing with arthritis in both hips for five years, and sometimes enough pain to bring tears to my eyes, I had my right hip replaced in May of '03, at the age of 48, which was far to young as far as my doctor was concerned. I elected to go home after 3 days in the hospital and received the visits from the physical therapist. After 5 weeks I was up and about with a cane.

In January of '04 I had the left hip done. Being winter, cold, and the potential for snow and ice, the thought of doing some rehabbing outside was not something I had in mind, so I elected to go to a local nursing home. Best thing I could have done. The medical care, physical and occupational therapy was terrific, and the food wasn't bad either. I left after about 9-10 days, already using the cane. My experience was so good, I used to joke about wishing I had another hip.

This past Aug 27, while at my choir cookout, I was playing with my grandchildren on the ground. As I tried to get up, something popped in my left hip, and while there was no pain, my leg would not cooperate. Fortunately, a women in the choir is a doctor, and after getting me settled down, gave me a ride to the hospital. Exrays showed that I had sheared one of the two pins holding the hip implant together. Surgery was on Wed, the 30th, and the whole hip was replaced again. The pain medication was making me too sick to eat, and I developed a blood clot in one of my lungs. After 4 days I was sent to the nursing home, where once I got a change of pain killer, the appetite was back, and I was off and walking. After a total of 18 days I came home today, and it feels great to be back. I've got a special brace to wear whenever I'm out of bed, and will most likely be out of work until at least the end of Oct.

Moral of the (long) story: Becarefull what you wish for.
My wish came true, and it will be a cold day in hell before I wish for a 4th hip. :lol:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Dang!!

I'm very glad you're better and healing up.
We missed you here and I for one,am glad your back.

I don't want to think of the foolish wishes I've made,my post would be a eulogy.

get better soon!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Wow...that's some story...I never new. I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better now. Try to enjoy your down time. :wave:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
My daughter was born one week before Hurricane Katrina. I took off Monday thru Wednesday and went in Thursday to catch up a little. I normally work 4 x 10 hour days, so that was my last day for the week.

It was very hot that day and on the way out of the shipyard, a gentleman asked what I thought about the hurricane out in the gulf. At the time, it was a Cat 1 at best. I said that I wished it would come and cool things off a bit. We cooled off for a day, so cool some people's homes turned into swimming pools, some people's homes two miles inland became water front property, and some people's homes became part of the Gulf of Mexico.

I will never wish for a hurricane to cool things off again. I do wish that gentleman does not ever recognize me so he doesn't kick my #$*!

BTW, Dadvball, glad you're back and doing better!

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Dadvball,
Glad to have you back and we don't want a forth hip for you either. Funny I keep wishing I'd win the lottery but that never happens...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Dadvball,
Glad to have you back and we don't want a forth hip for you either. Funny I keep wishing I'd win the lottery but that never happens...
I here you on the lottery part. But glad everything is ok though.

James

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
:hat: HIP HIP HIP HOORAY!! You're home! :hat: Glad to hear you're back, Bill. Now get back to your bench and resume customizing cars! Enough of this loafing around! :tongue:
Bet it feels real good to be home! :wave:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Welcome back!

My dad had both his hips replaced in his late sixties and early seventies. He's doing ok getting around but some of the pain medication they had him on has screwed up his kidneys. He may need to go on dialysis now. Make sure you ask lots of questions about side effects.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Dadvball,
Bought two Power Ball Tickets this morning....*Fingers Crossed*...(Hard to type with crossed fingers) :tongue:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Sorry to hear that wish came true! Having neck and back injuries from a car accident and about two and a half years of physical therapy, all I can do is sympathize and wish you the best of luck. Living with pain at a relative early age is never easy. You learn to keep a delicate balance of not over pushing your physical limitations and not turning into a total couch potato, as too much of either leads to greater pain. Best advice I can give to anyone with an injury that has lasting effects is to learn to live life as fully as possible in whatever your situation and keep your spirits high. Much of how we live in general is based on attitude...or faith, if I may be politically incorrect for a moment. All that we can and cannot do in this life is by and large a product of what our minds believe. The small steps we take each day cover a lot of ground over time. Discouraging thoughts always seem to bring about bad results faster than good thoughts bring about a happy end, but anyone who has perservered through any ordeal and came out the other side will tell you it is the only road to freedom. My philosophy for the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts