Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Makes me proud to be outta Tampa city limits.

and to think, I saw a table full of em at Target,on the same day....

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The article was not written very clearly. Was the older man he offered his extra copy of TME to the one that threatened him, or was it another person? Did the person making the threat end up taking the guy's TME?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
No suprise if he is a HW's collector/scalper. Most of the dudes I see in the diecast isle are the dregs of society.

Elmo Book Asks: 'Who Wants To Die?'
Publisher Offers Replacement Program

POSTED: 10:43 am EST January 26, 2006
UPDATED: 11:07 am EST January 26, 2006

ELLENSBURG, Wash. -- A character in some copies of an Elmo potty training book has an unusual message that you may not want your toddler to hear.

The Baby David character in "Potty Time With Elmo" says, "Uh oh, who wants to die?" when a read-along button is pushed, NBC News reported.

He's supposed to say, "Uh oh, who has to go?"

The publisher said the sound was recorded correctly, but some consumers hear a different phrase due to compression of the digital audio file.

Crystal Gillum, of Ellensburg, Wash., said she bought the book for her 2-year-old daughter for Christmas. "It really bothered me, and it creeped me out," she said.

The publisher, Publications International, doesn't know how many defective books are out there. Customers can return the books to the store where they were purchased, or they can call (800) 595-8484 for a free replacement.

The book is becoming a collector's item, and is being sold on eBay!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
GO-GTO said:
The article was not written very clearly. Was the older man he offered his extra copy of TME to the one that threatened him, or was it another person? Did the person making the threat end up taking the guy's TME?
I'm not sure of the outcome, but the guy took two from the shelf, the last two when the guy went off. I think he was going to pass the other one to an elderly person.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I just want to know if Captain Hot Wheel went up to the register and paid for it? Or did he even get the Elmo doll? I agree it's a crappy article.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Another paper:

Shopper Attacked by Elmo Freak

The next time you're at the store trying to snag the new TMX Elmo doll, you may be risking your life.

A Tampa Bay, Florida man woke up early last Friday to buy the TMX Elmo at his local Target store. He had been waiting ten years for the anniversary doll to be released, and he hoped he could get his hands on one.

As soon as the store's doors opened, he ran right down the aisles in search for Elmo. Luckily, he found one, and as he began to pick up another to give to a customer, the man next to him pointed a loaded gun at him and said that he'd have no problem shooting. The Florida man quickly handed Elmo over to the attacker, and then called 911.

The Florida man believes that his attacker was a professional toy collector. "Chances are he's a hot wheels trader. That market is probably not doing well right now and he's doing the Elmo thing and I kind of moved in on his space. You know how drug dealers have corners; I think I hit his target corner up."

Unfortunately, the suspect has yet to be caught. So if you're headed to your local toy store, you better keep your eyes out for this Elmo enemy! And be careful folks: people go ballistic over toys in limited quantities!

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Tampa man threatened over new Elmo doll

By: Sara Dorsey
Tampa, Florida - Inevitably each holiday season there's a toy or game that sends parents into a frenzy, and sometimes makes people loose their cool. The latest craze has come a little early, it seems. Fisher Price unveiled the T.M.X. Elmo, The 10-year-anniversary doll of the once coveted Tickle Me Elmo.

Andrew, Victim: “I like them. I enjoy them. I've been waiting 10 years for their anniversary to come out.”Andrew, as we will call him to protect his identity, was in line bright and early at Target on Gandy to get his hands on one.

It was Andrew's lucky day; he even scored a second doll. Like a Good Samaritan Andrew gave one of the dolls to an older shopper. That apparently sent an overzealous Elmo fan into a frenzy. Andrew and store officials made this call to 9-1-1.

Andrew, Victim: “He told me he had a loaded gun on him and he'd have no problem shooting me...What it was, was an issue over this stupid Tickle Me Elmo freaking doll.” 9-1-1 Dispatcher:Tampa Police: “So what Elmo was going on some special sale or something?”Apparently there were only three in the store and Andrew got his hands on two.

Police say the suspect is a Target regular, it's believed a toy trader himself, a man known to employees only as "Hot Wheels".

Andrew, Victim: “Chances are he's a hot wheels trader that market is probably not doing well right now and now he'd doing the Elmo thing and I kind of moved in on his space, you know how drug dealers have corners. I think I hit his target corner up.” Larry McKinnon, “Buyers beware, this guy is out there and he's going to try and get your Elmo.”Andrew says he was really afraid that a doll might cost him his life.

Andrew, Victim "It's retarded to want to kill someone over. I mean give me a break."Andrew is not discouraged. He plans to be out again trying to score another Elmo doll. After all, no one knows yet how valuable these toys could get as Christmas closes in.

Andrew, Victim That's just how it goes, this game is dirty, this Elmo game is dirty."The dolls retail for $39.99 and are going for between $60.00 and $100.00 dollars on eBay!

Target says it is constantly stocking all the dolls it gets in and there are stores that do have Elmos on the shelves. You can also get the toy at Wal-Mart and Toys R Us.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I saw the victim tonight,on local news.

Of the two dolls,one went to an elderly lady,the other he says, "is going up for sale, for charity."

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RobDog said:
I saw the victim tonight,on local news.

Of the two dolls,one went to an elderly lady,the other he says, "is going up for sale, for charity."
Well at least he didn't say it was going up for sale to fund his personal bodyguard. :tongue:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
*scans Sunday newspaper ads for specials on Kevlar Vests, to wear next time he goes looking for WL's in Tampa*

This guy is nuts, even if he didn't have a weapon. He's known to the store staff, and is probably recorded on store secirity cameras.

Now that I think of it, I'm starting to recall that get together in Connecticut with Dad's Coronet when he beat me out of a WL at the Advance Auto Parts store..... didn't he hit me over the head with something and duct tape my hands and feet so I couldn't beat him into the store????? It's starting to come back to me now.....

*rubs back of noggin*

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi All,

Well I thought I'd chime in here. Back in July, I put a deposit down at TRU for a T.M.X. Elmo. My son William has had an original Tickle Me Elmo since he was born. Elmo is his best friend. Elmo has travelled to Florida, Ohio, Illinios, Missouri and other states. Elmo has been to Hot Wheel Conventions and outings with our Mustang club. Believe me, Elmo has gotten some use and is loved very much. So when my wife and I saw they were doing a 10th Anniversary Elmo we just had to get one for him. Boy am I glad we prepaid and reserved one of these. I can't believe what people are doing to get one of these. And for those that haven't seen one in person, you really need to see one. I have to say that they really did a good job on Elmo. It's amazing how far technology has come.

Take care all and have a great week.

Scott Moen
Mustang Enthusiast & Collector
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I`m definately gonna get one but at retail cost and no more for my 3 year old. I`ve just learned that our local scalper has 38 of these already and he has a hold over the local target also.I actually thought the news was talking about him until I learned that it was in Tampa .He gets very irate over anyone `invading` the stores he buys from. He fully believes that he should have 1st pick of any local store because he does this for a full-time job.The person in Tampa is probally like this guy. :freak:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Now that I think of it, I'm starting to recall that get together in Connecticut with Dad's Coronet when he beat me out of a WL at the Advance Auto Parts store..... didn't he hit me over the head with something and duct tape my hands and feet so I couldn't beat him into the store????? It's starting to come back to me now.....

*rubs back of noggin*
C'mon, ya big baby! That lump on yer noggin is from the waitress with the wooden spoon! Remember?? You got a little fresh and.....oops! I've said too much already!

Now, what's all this about Elmo, anyway? Please, let's be serious, who would fight over puny little squeaky Elmo? Cookie Monster, now THAT dude is worth fighting for! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts