Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was anyone else surprised to see the late '70s cars going for what they did? Who would have ever thought '77-'78 Trans-Ams would go in the $30K range? And a '78 911 for $50K?

How about that '86 LaSabre Grand National? I'd seen a front wheel drive T-Type before (can't remember the model), but this is the first I'd ever heard of a FWD Grand National.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Was anyone else surprised to see the late '70s cars going for what they did? Who would have ever thought '77-'78 Trans-Ams would go in the $30K range? And a '78 911 for $50K?

How about that '86 LaSabre Grand National? I'd seen a front wheel drive T-Type before (can't remember the model), but this is the first I'd ever heard of a FWD Grand National.

I am interested to see how the Second Gen T/A's do this year at B-J. I think the market is down from last year.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
As I walked up to the TV a '56 Ford F-100, silver, drove off the block, it had a frosted and mostly clear stained glass tailgate, sounds bizarre but, it looked really, really cool :cool:. I didn't catch the commentary on it. Sold for $59,4000
Would be a cool project for one of our customizers here :p

Look at the second pic in the link; http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...aspx?aid=304&sd=01/20/2010&ed=01/20/2010&c=30 lot #432 about halfway down the list.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
I wish I could afford this beauty

My first car was a 69 Mach 1 in that same color, although mine was a 351 W not a 428 CJ.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts

My first car was a 69 Mach 1 in that same color, although mine was a 351 W not a 428 CJ.
Nice! The 351 is a much better daily driver.

Wicked weather last night, they had a tornado warning in Scottsdale, some cars got damaged when the smaller tents got tore up :(. They stopped staging cars for an hour, so it ran long and I didn't get to see the last cars on TV. Lookin' forward to this weekends coverage and I'm glad I didn't go up there this year :freak:!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I apreciate nice cars and all, and maybe I'm being nieve, but it seems to me that these guys with all the money just drive up old car prices across the the board.
Now these cars will forever be out of reach for the average Joe. $50,000-$100,000 for a cookie-cutter American car?! No thanks. That kinda money should buy some Italian hand built exotic.
And now everyone with any car built before the Nixon resignment thinks he can get thousands for a '74 Mavwreck 6cyl. 4dr.
Well, it's not allways like that. I got this good running low milage '56 Plymouth for $700!
~Sir Rants Alot~

·
Registered
896 Posts
Haven't been watching, but will probably go tommorow, I've gone on Saturday the last couple years. Hope it's not too soggy, though...quite a bit of rain last night.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I apreciate nice cars and all, and maybe I'm being nieve, but it seems to me that these guys with all the money just drive up old car prices across the the board.
Now these cars will forever be out of reach for the average Joe. $50,000-$100,000 for a cookie-cutter American car?! No thanks. That kinda money should buy some Italian hand built exotic.
And now everyone with any car built before the Nixon resignment thinks he can get thousands for a '74 Mavwreck 6cyl. 4dr.
Well, it's not allways like that. I got this good running low milage '56 Plymouth for $700!
[/IMG]
You got a great deal on a cool-looking car! Pop them hub caps off and run just the steelies, though!

My thought on the auction scene is that, with the exception of the survivors, these guys ARE buying hand-built vehicles, especially the customs. You know first-hand that it takes hours of work to restore vehicles to the level that is being sold at auction. And I'm sure there are many (myself included) that wouldn't want an exotic if someone gave it to them. American muscle is what they like and it's what they are willing to pay for. I know if I had the money, I would plunk down $75K or so for a custom '56 Bel-Air riding about three inches off the ground with a 572 crate, overdrive auto trans, and modern suspension with 20's and 22's on it (yeah, it's what my wife wants, so no Mopar :cry:) because I know I can't build it myself. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford it!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Not watching as I am at work. But may DVR some of it tonight and through the weekend.
Dave, your not naive me and my car buddies have been saying that for years. A small (and I mean small) amount of cars actually sell for what they are acually worth. Case in point I had the opportunity when I had my 67 Coronet to buy a 66 with a 426 (repacement block) for $15K and passed it up as I thought it was a bit too high and would have needed a loan for it. And that was just 1999.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Good points guys, and '72Challanger you are absolutely right. It DOES take tens of thousands of $$$ to get a car right and to get it to better than new perfection, and I apprieciate the craftsmanship involved.
But that's one reason I've never been to keen on restored cars, especially OVER restored cars that never get driven - trailer queens and the like....somehow the soul of the car gets lost. It's origonal identity and history is thrown away forever.
The work I do at my shop gets pricey, but I don't do completes - just partal restos.
More of a preserve what is there kind of thing, like a 200 yr old painting. Make it presentable, servicable, and enjoyable with out removing the origonal soul of the vehicle.
I treat my cars and customers cars more like a historical (but usable) artifacts.
The cars in Lummoxland are dirty, smelly, dented, rusted, and some will NEVER be restored 'cause some are just too frigged up.
But they are REAL. And people LOVE them!!! I get so many nice gushing compliments and they're so fun to drive and enjoy...that what it's all about!!!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Lummox -

While I appreciate Muscle and would take one if given to me without hesitation, I am more into the Sleeper/non-traditional stuff like this as well. Some restoration to smooth running, some mild customizing and BAM you got something you can drive without a lot of investment or fear.

I have always said I would rather spend less and have something I can drive that have a rare piece I can only look at. How many of those cats with the 100,000 muscle cars are out driving them around except to and from an occassional show.

Some beautiful pieces going across the block though.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts

Wow! It went for $81,400.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I've watched the whole auction, prices are way down, a real hemi cuda only went for $170000, that is pretty low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts