Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vaccum died today. Smoke, melt, stink, died. I am debating what route to go, and I really like the way the dyson's sound. Our dog sheds constantly, so I want to get something that is good for pet hair. Does anyone have any experience with these? THanks in advance for the help and sorry for the O/T.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
my mom has a dyson... personally, i don't see any difference between a dyson and a regular 'cyclonic action' type vacuum.

oh, and it is a lie when they say no filters to clog... there is a filter in it, and it does clog, and you do have to take it out like every 3-4 vacuumings and wash it out

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
terry9911 said:
Do you vacuum your dog regularly?
It has crossed my mind, but that would involve holding him down, and thats when he goes into super-shed mode. We brush him, which has helped, but he still sheds alot.

Thanks for the input so far!

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
My wife has a Dyson. SHE LOVES IT! If fact she likes it so much she sold about another 11 Vaccumes for the company. (She is not employed by or reembursed by the company in any way) I'm sure that if you tried it you would like it. I know they are not the cheapest on the shelf, and thats a lot of money for plastic but they do work really well. Ours is on the 3rd year and going strong. Just make sure for the first dozen times you vaccume you empty the bin. You will be amazed what comes out of your carpet.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Yes, we have one. We have 2 Siberian Huskies and a cat, so there's plently of hair to go around. The Dyson works wonders. We have the base model (the yellow one), and we love it. Don't spend the extra $$ for the "Animal" one, it's completely unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
My experience with vacuum cleaners: buy what suits your needs, don't overbuy because of the hype. The Dyson is a good product but can be expensive, but simply a Hoover or Royal might be perfect for the job (in your case with per hair, so long as the vacuum cleaner has a good brush and power, mid priced Hoovers (at Target) are quite acceptable.

Word of warning: Buy only products from manufactuers that produce vacuum cleaners as their mainstays. Stay away from vaccuum cleaners with names that don't sound familair with vaccuum cleaners. Some years back, the Mrs went out looking for vaccum cleaners and we went through two Panasonics in the span of four hours (blew up both of them in a smokey mess), and a Black & Decker later that same night (motor sounded ok and even had a clock, but could not pick up anything). The next morning I went to Sears and bought the Hoover.

Remember, familar names only; stay away from the Panasonics, Kelloggs, Sony's, Black & Deckers, DelMontes and the Dr Schoals...

-Peter

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
As part of a project for a marketing class last year, I did a report on Regina vacuums (now defunct). They had a great reputation at one time, then were sold. The new CEO was pilfering money from the company, needed to increase sales to raise more $$$ They came up with a new design that was priced competitively to sell, but to cut costs, many parts that would have been metal before were now made of plastic. The parts couldn't hold up, the vacuums got a terrible reputation, sales plummetted, and the whole financial house of cards came tumbling down.

Why did I do a report on Regina? I still had one, and I couldn't find bags for it any more, and wondered why I didn't see their name in stores any more :p

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
pms485 said:
Yes, we have one. We have 2 Siberian Huskies and a cat, so there's plently of hair to go around. The Dyson works wonders. We have the base model (the yellow one), and we love it. Don't spend the extra $$ for the "Animal" one, it's completely unnecessary.
I agree with the Animal version. The regular one works great and you don't need to cough up the extra dough. Then you can go to the diecast asile and look at the johnnys! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
We bought one last year to combat massive amounts of pet hair. It works great. It is amazing how much stuff it sucks out of the carpet..especialy the first few times you use it. We bought the yellow DC07 model. The only difference between the models (except the swivel head one) is the attachments that are included. The main vaccum head units are all the same. So if you don't need all the extra attachments save your money and buy the base model. Would highly recommend the Dysons.

RC

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
OK, I guess I'm the only one stepping aside here. From previous experience, it isn't worth buying a vacuum cleaner from a department store. We have had an Electrolux for years (yes, the same one!). If you look at the big picture, you can actually save money by purchasing a premium product.
My wife is "The Queen of Clean" so this vacuum gets a darn good workout every week. We have 2 cats so we also have pet fur issues.
We keep this machine maintained so it runs at peak performance and we get great service.
I know these things are expensive, but instead of going through a vacuum every 4 to 6 years, these "suckers" (pun intended) are designed to perform for 20 or more years.
That's it; that's all.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input everyone. We were looking at the DC17 which has a Root 3 Cyclone rather than the base root like all the rest, but otherwise we were sold on the DC07 base model. THe way things are looking we will be going with the base model rather than the DC17. THanks again for all the help everyone!!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
more info: actually asked my mom what she thought of it.

She thinks its the Animal one... its the purple one.

She likes it, only thing she does not like is all the work you have to do to get the hose out.

You have to take it out, flip it around, take the hose off the wand flip it to the other side and so on and such, its just a PITA.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Bagless vacs...

Can't speak about the Dyson. Never had one.
I had a bagless vac (Shark I think..) bought it to replace a Hoover that was over 20 years old and quit. The Shark (and one after it) made me lose faith in ANY bagless vac.
You would use it once or twice and then have to tear down the whole thing to clean all three filters because of clogging. WHAT A PAIN! Seems I spent more time cleaning the vac than using it... Had the silly thing less than a year and replaced it with another brand of bagless (forgot what kind).
Same thing. :rolleyes: Ditched the second vac and bought a Royal that has a BAG...
Life sucks ever since... :lol:

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have just recently purchased a Dyson. OMG, that thing sucks! Which is a very good thing for a vacuum cleaner. Our Kirby was on the fritz and I wanted to get a new sweeper that was supposed to be good. They are, and I could not imagine all of the crud it got out of the carpet. We have two cats and a dog and a lot of carpet. It seems to be a very good product.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
My wife likes her Miele. It works fine I guess though I am not knowledgable in the art of vaccuming and not sure what I should be evaluating.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts