Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, my anti-virus software pops up warnings about 2/3rds of the time when I come on HT. Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, what's causing it?

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
mine pops up every now an than sayin my computer was attacked by a heiniken worm.it gets to be a pain sometimes ttfn johnny :cool:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Mine says I've been attacked by the Bass Ale worm :freak:
Actually I get a warning from Norton Internet Protection when ever I clck the custom controls in the typing box, ie: add pic, link, font , size etc...
It also warns me when I copy pic's to my clipboard using the button in my gallery.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine says that a virus was found and stopped, and suggest closing down and running an anti-virus scan. Which I've done several times and nothing shows up as getting through the sheild. So now I just run a scan about once a week to check.

But what about when my anti-virus subscription runs out, or those who don't have any? Is there a bunch of viruses getting in here somehow? Are there measures that can be taken by administation? I know the internet is full of such things, but usually more rampant on less secure sites.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I would contact hankster and see what he says. I still would guess your software is picking up a ghost or is set too sensitive, because I've never encountered anything like you are reporting.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
CTWLSMIKE said:
I would contact hankster and see what he says. I still would guess your software is picking up a ghost or is set too sensitive, because I've never encountered anything like you are reporting.
You could be right. When I first installed it, it was so sensitive, I couldn't even recieve email. I've worked out all the forseeable kinks, but it still may be warning me of every potential flicker it picks up. However, since others have picked something up, I hesitate to lower thing more at this point. Hopefully Hankster will read this and give us whatever advice he sees fit...even if it's just to confirm what you said. If he doesn't respond here, I'll contact him directly in a day or so.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I don't think my issues are a virus just an over zelouse firewall. Check your firewall settings. also check out adaware, it does a good job picking up some things that norton overlooks. And it's free.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
Mine says that a virus was found and stopped, and suggest closing down and running an anti-virus scan. Which I've done several times and nothing shows up as getting through the sheild. So now I just run a scan about once a week to check.

But what about when my anti-virus subscription runs out, or those who don't have any? Is there a bunch of viruses getting in here somehow? Are there measures that can be taken by administation? I know the internet is full of such things, but usually more rampant on less secure sites.
The chance of you getting a virus from looking at a website is extremely low and it requires effort on the part of the website and dumbness by you clicking on free programs for example. Html type viruses are really overblown in my opinion.

Your anti-virus program will work even if the subscription has expired, you just won't get any updates on new viruses.

I am curious what type of program you are running. Is it like a Norton suite set with lots of progams attached? My Mom had a Norton suite and it was throwing out stupid warnings all the time. Not sure if it was because of Java script or what. I run Nod32 and have never seen any errors pop up when coming to this website.

I know plenty of guys that never have used anti-virus programs and have never had their computer infected.
1. Don't open attachments. (having an on-line email account is even better).
2. Don't install programs from suspect sources.
3. Don't run Internet Explorer. Run Firefox, Opera, Navigator, etc.
4. Buy a router. You do not need a firewall.
5. Install Spyware programs. You can run them all. I use Spybot, Adaware, and microsofts.
6. You don't need to pay big bucks for an anti-virus program. Norton and McAfee are resource hogs. You can use Microsofts (not sure if it is free) or even use one of the on-line programs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'm running Avast! Professional AV and SpyWare Terminator. Both have real time protection and can be customized to your preferences. I also run Ad-Aware SE every day to clean the carbon out. It finds a lot of stuff that isn't really a threat to the system by itself, but when alot of it builds up over time acts like glue in a blender. SpyWare Terminator is free and so is Ad-Aware SE. The Avast! Pro was $40. Have had no problems whatsoever no matter where I go on the net. I have read and heard that Norton, McAffee and several other so called "high end" AV's are way too sensitive. :wave:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running Tren Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security 12. I didn't know about the free ones. I'll check into those, thanks, guys.

SkipperC, my old computer slowed down to a crawl whenever I was on the internet. I thought, from something someone told me, that since I had no protection, that I probably have a boatload of spyware, and that was slowing me down because it was busy sending out my info to whoever the spyware belonged to. But it sounds like this carbon thing you mentioned could be part of the problem, maybe all of it, since the computer was like 10 years old and never serviced or used these programs. Never had a real problem with it actually until over the last couple of years.

Atencio, why do you say not to run internet explorer? That is what I'm running.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Internet Explorer in the past has had major security problems such as activeX for example. IE is the most commonly used browser which makes it the most attractive to attack. Security issues have always been problematic for all Microsft products. Mozilla's firefox is an open source program which means the community does a better job at fixing security issues. Mozilla is also quicker to address issues with their programs than Microsoft.

As far as performance Firefox far exceeds IE in their add-on options and customisability

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
AVG is the way to go for a free anti-virus software.
....and definitely download Mozilla Firefox, IE is just too vulnerable.

If you have Norton or McAfee, once the subscription runs out, ditch em. But for now, crank down your security settings.
Also, don't go crazy on the free spyware programs though, most of them are worthless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts