Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my travels today, I stumbled across a "collision" shop that is actually more of a restoration shop, and was I glad that I bothered stopping in.

First, I had noticed a '69 Hemi Charger in the front showroom and thought that if I didn't go in, I was no kind of true-blue "carnut". Once inside, I met a tech who gave me the nickel tour. Let's start with the '71 GS 350 convertible waiting the start of it's resto. Next, there was a '71 Road Runner. Oh, did I forget to mention the number's matching 440 Six Pack?

Out front with the Charger (originally ordered with bucket seats and a collumn shift automatic!) was a mint condition '70 El Camino SS big block, and a brand new GT 500 ragtop. All but the GS were the toys of a very well to do shop owner who loves his Mopars. How much does he love them? How about the $90,000 he forked over for the last car on the tour; a basket case '70 Superbird that he located in a Connecticut barn last year. Oh, numbers matching 440 Six Pack here, too, thank you.

I actually got to see the 'bird stripped bare, including an "up close" look at how they made the infamous rear window plug for the bulged out aerodynamic rear glass. Pretty neat, actually. It's a sheet metal "frame" that gets inserted right into where the original glass goes.

My job really sucks :p :wave:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
awesome.There is a local dyno shop here that has lots of older musclecars out front for sale.Lots of oldsmobiles but has plenty of others. About the only place you ever actually can see an older car around here.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I actually got to see the 'bird stripped bare, including an "up close" look at how they made the infamous rear window plug for the bulged out aerodynamic rear glass. Pretty neat, actually. It's a sheet metal "frame" that gets inserted right into where the original glass goes.

My job really sucks :p :wave:[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing in north Jersey 2 years ago and saw a bigger variety of stuff but not that cool. I, however, took many pictures of the wheels. :tongue:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Galaxieman said:
I did the same thing in north Jersey 2 years ago and saw a bigger variety of stuff but not that cool. I, however, took many pictures of the wheels. :tongue:
Where in North Jersey? Hibernia Auto Restoration in Rockaway maybe?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Those sound like nice cars! The '71 Roadrunner is my favorite year of the Roadrunner - the '69-70 ones look like square boxes to me, while the '71 has some nice aerodynamic lines to it!

Was the Superbird restored? Superbirds and Charger Daytonas bring BIG bucks, as you can see from $90,000 for a basket case car! I keep telling my dad he should sell his Charger Daytona. I can't imagine the price he would get for his! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quantum said:
...and your cellphone doesn't take pix?! :drunk:
Me, to the sales clerk, when i bought the phone last year:
"What the hell would I need to take pictures for? That's what my camera is for!"

Ask me where the digi was yesterday..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
It would be cool if the original stickers were around (maybe they are). Didn't the winged Mopars retail for well under $10K?
Always love seeing old iron - like the black '61 T-bird ragtop I passed on the highway yesterday. :)

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
It would be cool if the original stickers were around (maybe they are). Didn't the winged Mopars retail for well under $10K?
Always love seeing old iron - like the black '61 T-bird ragtop I passed on the highway yesterday. :)
Gasp I always want the creamy yellow one when I was a kid. Loved the tilt stearing wheel on the T-Bird! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Gasp I always want the creamy yellow one when I was a kid. Loved the tilt stearing wheel on the T-Bird! :thumbsup:

That wasn't a tilt wheel it is a swingaway steering column.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
The Daytona retailed around the $3000-3500 range depending on the options, and the Superbird was close to $4000. That was, of course, back in 1969 and 1970 LOL! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts