Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While in the JL aisle today at WM I saw some of those 48-car milky-clear plastic PLANO carrying/storage cases. So obviously WM is still getting them in.
Just a heads up as I know some of you are looking for them. The price was $4.88 per carrying case.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
I picked up one last Friday night, only one I saw. A friend told me he picked up 2 there the night before. Hope to see a few more, I was planning to place an order but I'd rather just pick up a few at a time. If I have too many I'm encouraged to fill them quicker. :wave:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've had a few for quite a while, and I picked up 3 more around the holidays - 1 for each kid and another for me. Seems like the plastic is a tad brittle, especially the hinges and the handle. But, it's better than having cars wrapped in paper towels and stuffed in boxes. Every time I wanted to rotate in new display cars, I had to unwrap them to figure out what was where.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
travis1960 said:
Trick to keep the cars from rattling around. Cotton balls.

Packing peanuts work well also. :thumbsup:
I always wondered about those cases scuffing the cars if they slide back and forth in those compartments.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I've checked two local WMs and neither has them. The clerk in one store told me they weren't carrying them.

I have used a small piece of the double stick foam tape, folded depending on the thickness and the space between car bottom and the case. Holds the cars in place and is fairly easy to remove.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You have to be more careful with these newer plano cases as they don't stay closed as well as the older ones. The older ones had 3 hinges on the door the newer ones only have 2. I wish I had bought more of them years ago when they had 2 cases zip tied together for $5 I think I only bought 4 that way.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have been trying to find these for awhile, but haven't seen them at WM yet.
I was told by the toy manager at WM that they quit making them a couple of years ago and was VERY ADAMANT that THEY CANNOT GET ANYMORE.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
GO-GTO said:
I have been trying to find these for awhile, but haven't seen them at WM yet.
I was told by the toy manager at WM that they quit making them a couple of years ago and was VERY ADAMANT that THEY CANNOT GET ANYMORE.
They did NOT quit making them, WM QUIT ordering them! You can call Plano directly and order them.

From another thread:

You can call plano direct and order with a credit card Plano cases, product #531500 car garage, 1 800 226 9868,7:30 thru 4pm central time mon-friday. about $4.00 each plus shipping. Typically order in case lots of 6 per case.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
They did NOT quit making them, WM QUIT ordering them! You can call Plano directly and order them.

From another thread:

You can call plano direct and order with a credit card Plano cases, product #531500 car garage, 1 800 226 9868,7:30 thru 4pm central time mon-friday. about $4.00 each plus shipping. Typically order in case lots of 6 per case.

:wave:
Thanks for the info. I though that lady at WM was a little overbearing in expressing her "authority" on the subject. Maybe now she doesn't want to admit that she was wrong and thinks we're all ignorant so she can tell us whatever. Sort of like the mushroom theory of management...keep 'em in the dark, feed 'em lots of crap and watch 'em grow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
60sMetal said:
I haven't found them yet. What aisle are they in :confused: ?
All the talk of WM lately I decided to stop in on my way home from work. They were doing thier reset and had pulled all the JL off the aisle (but I could not find them in the clearance section) In the reset they moved teh mdel aisle, but in my search for the clearance section I noticed they still had teh old model section. This is where the diecast cases were sitting. They are probably there, just noone knows where they have been stashed.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
edseldave said:
Ive been looking for the Hot Wheels or Matchbox 48 car cases that lay flat & have the 4 trays in them . They might not be made anymore , I havent seen any in over a year ....
Just before Christmas my local TRU had the Matchbox storage cases, in red and also in blue. They had the lift out trays in them but I 'think' the cases I saw only held 24 cars.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CTWLSMIKE said:

From another thread:

I called Plano about 2 months ago and ordered 2 cases, the lady on the phone was very pleasant and the transaction went quickly and smoothly. They sent them out to me and I received them in 4 days. Quick! :thumbsup:

Interesting point about the 2 versus 3 hinges. I never noticed that before. My older cases do have 3 hinges per side, while the newer ones only have 2 hinges per side.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
AQUA XK8 said:
Interesting point about the 2 versus 3 hinges. I never noticed that before. My older cases do have 3 hinges per side, while the newer ones only have 2 hinges per side.
Ahh cost cutting is grand, isn't it? They probably figured they didn't need 3 hinges as they didn't account for people using them to store 48 heavy diecast cars. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts