Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Smart Phone and added it to my account... My monthly payment went up $28.00 for the phone payment, plus an extra $12.00 for the insurance in case it was lost, stolen, or damaged... (They said)... I have only made 4 payments on it until I dropped and stepped on it... It destroyed the phone completely and the $30.00 case I had bought for it... I went to get it replaced and that's when I found out there is a $130.00 deductible on the insurance plan... They sure don't tell ya that stuff when you're in their stores buying up everything... Not sure what I'm gonna do her... More than likely pay the stupid $130.00 and be done with it... Nothing like feeling you are snached up by the gonads !!!

Big Time Bummer !!!

·
Banned
565 Posts
What type of phone is it? Can't you just replace the screen yourself?

Maybe you can find one on ebay cheap that doesn't work, take it apart and try and replace the broken screen with the one you purchased from ebay. Just a thought.

I know when my daughter dropped her ipod touch I was going to attempt to change the screen myself but opted not to. I figured it was time to teach her a lesson and we took it to apple to have them replace it but she was going to pay to have them fix it. It cost her $100.00 and they replaced the whole unit, but she then purchased a otterrbox for it on ebay for $10.00...

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of phone is it? Can't you just replace the screen yourself?

Maybe you can find one on ebay cheap that doesn't work, take it apart and try and replace the broken screen with the one you purchased from ebay. Just a thought.

I know when my daughter dropped her ipod touch I was going to attempt to change the screen myself but opted not to. I figured it was time to teach her a lesson and we took it to apple to have them replace it but she was going to pay to have them fix it. It cost her $100.00 and they replaced the whole unit, but she then purchased a otterrbox for it on ebay for $10.00...

Good luck!
Thank you for the thought Shell... I didn't even come close to thinking of that... I will sure give it a try !!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If it still works, use it. It may not look the greatest, but if it functions, you could use it until you decide what you want to do.

·
Banned
565 Posts
Thank you for the thought Shell... I didn't even come close to thinking of that... I will sure give it a try !!!
Your welcome, trust me I am cheap and if I could find a way of fixing something rather then going to a repair shop I am on it.

What gets me is the companies know these are going to get dropped, stepped on, thrown, etc. and that it will break so easily and that is why they got ya by the basket balls.. <<< :lol: They know you will come in and get it repaired and charge you half of what the item costs to begin with... Stupid to me but that is how they make money. We now have a company in our mall that will repair ipods and smart phone screens for $30.00. Of course they opened after we got my daughters ipod fixed, just our luck... LOL

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
$130 Deductible!!!!! On a $350 item? What's the point of the insurance?? Sorry Steve. I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Some case... Hope you get it worked out, and cheaply.

Between inflated prices on products/services, contracts bent steeply in the company's favor, greed fees, close to zero accountability, and horrible customer service - the cell phone industry is a sham in serious need of regulation. I don't bother with that garbage.

I'm not a big cell user, so I bought a pre-paid phone last year for $40, and my monthly bill is $15 and change. No contract, no BS. It's reliable, and I've never even had a reason to call the customer service number. Suits my purposes. I mean a phone should be a phone first and foremost, you shouldn't have to think about it or lose sleep over it. Who needs the extra junk that ends up costing a small fortune?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I just bought this Smart Phone and added it to my account... My monthly payment went up $28.00 for the phone payment, plus an extra $12.00 for the insurance in case it was lost, stolen, or damaged... (They said)... I have only made 4 payments on it until I dropped and stepped on it... It destroyed the phone completely and the $30.00 case I had bought for it... I went to get it replaced and that's when I found out there is a $130.00 deductible on the insurance plan... They sure don't tell ya that stuff when you're in their stores buying up everything... Not sure what I'm gonna do her... More than likely pay the stupid $130.00 and be done with it... Nothing like feeling you are snached up by the gonads !!!

Big Time Bummer !!!
check your local mall. one of mine has a place the replaces the glass on ipods and iphones while you wait.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
iPhone glass screen costs $100. Android screen has to be cheaper and can probably be done easier than an IPhone. You got a bad service deal. I have a two year service deal on my phone that doesn't require a deductible and cost less than your deductible.

As far as smartphones I love them. I very rarely even use a computer anymore. Internet use, e-book reader, games, spreadsheets, and more computing power than desktops from a few years ago all in my pocket.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I not only hate those misleading insurance policies but also the extended warranties they always want to sell you on any tools or appliances they sell you nowadays. Whenever they ask me if I want an extended warranty I tell them if I am going to have that much trouble with something after the original warranty is over then I will buy a different brand next time.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
i had the same problem after busting 2 phones up in a month,plus these phones were $800 a piece. My insurance and deductible went up also. I have since dropped insurance with the phone company and started carrying it with best buy,it`s cheaper and no deductible plus I bought an otterbox defender case,so hopefully no worries now:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Since I work as a Maintenance Supervisor I have gone through six phones in little over two years, one fell into the pool while I was cleaning it, one fell from the roof, one went in the toilet, etc. I don't carry insurance on the phone because they won't let me. But I do have a back up phone just in case. I have been luck with the current phone being as I have not dropped it or gotten it wet. But there again I bought a better case for it and spent almost 50 bucks on a shock resistant case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts