Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else think this looks like a body kit on a Firebird? I think it happens to look pretty good, but look at the tops of the rear quarters... and then find the interior shot (it's in the "Standard Features" section...)

http://www.avantimotors.com/index.htm

--rick

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Yup,I can see firebird in those quarters,just use your hand to cover the front of the car in the pics,not really familar with the firebird interior.

Now the Lister is hot,I like that,the white one...and the Beck 904 is pretty sharp also :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
superduty455 said:
Yup, they've been using Firebird chassis' on these.
I believe part of the cost of owning one is buying a Firebird donor car...

I'm going to browse the site again (i've had it bookmarked for ages) to find where I found that piece of information.

Also, I don't suppose there's any chance of getting the Studebaker Avanti, Avanti II, and the AVX in 1/64? ;)

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
http://www.theavanti.com/AVX.html

"We suspect the typical AVX customer will be satisfied with the level of performance offered by the standard GM powertrain. If so, the cost of the conversion will be $33,900—for coupe, T-top, or convertible—not including the cost of the Firebird Formula or Trans Am.

A would-be AVX owner can supply his or her own, or AVX can do it and tack the cost onto the price of the AVX conversion. The total tab will come to something over $60,000, which strikes us as pretty reasonable for a limited-edition, custom-built vehicle with this sort of pedigree. Bunting plans to sell perhaps 20-25 cars a year, a figure that appears plausible considering that the Avanti II regularly achieved a production rate of 100-200 cars for vehicles that were similarly targeted and priced."

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
When Kelly was in town (South Bend) making the Avanti, I was a big fan. He was using GM Monte Carlos as a frame at the time and the car still had the Avanti feel to it since they were being made in Studebaker buildings and the car still looked much like Loewy's design. When he sold it and the new owners moved to Ohio that car was pretty much dead.

This new Avanti, while interesting, is not an Avanti. Nor is that Studebaker Xuv a Stude. These are panels stuck on existing cars that still look as much like the previous car as it does the new car. I see Firebird all over that thing and to have an original in the same picture for the intro is a slap in the face. I understand this probably has to be done to keep costs down but I for one am not keen on seeing the Avanti or Studebaker name draped on a half ass attempt of anything.

I tell you what. For what they want for those cars, do yourself a favor. Go buy an original, have a Paxson SC put on it and you'll have the best looking, fastest Avanti going and it will be the real deal.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't understand.

Somebody bottom line this for me. Is the Avanti a kit car? A conversion of an existing car?

What's the scoop? I'm too lazy to read anything but this thread.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
JLWahl said:
I don't understand.

Somebody bottom line this for me. Is the Avanti a kit car? A conversion of an existing car?

What's the scoop? I'm too lazy to read anything but this thread.
Yes, this particular car is a kit car. However their are original Studebaker Avanti's out there.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
MARKHOS said:
When Kelly was in town (South Bend) making the Avanti, I was a big fan. He was using GM Monte Carlos as a frame at the time and the car still had the Avanti feel to it since they were being made in Studebaker buildings and the car still looked much like Loewy's design. When he sold it and the new owners moved to Ohio that car was pretty much dead.
Speaking of the original Studebaker buildings, I have heard they were torn down recently. :( Is this true?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Yes, as were many of the Uniroyal buildings in Mishawaka. All for the better. These are ancient, unsafe, abandoned etc. Some of the buildings have continued to have businesses in them so they are kept up and still going. The new Studebaker Museum will reopen in a refurbished SP building.

·
Registered
1 Posts
avanti F-Body

Yes it is a firebird frame. This permutation of theAvanti was designed by Tom Kellogg. Kellogg was an original member of the Raymond Lowey Team that designed the Studebaker Avanti.

Kellogg along with Jim Bunting designed the car in the mid-nineties as a 2 seat coupe and also as a convertible. The 2006 Avanti uses Ford motors frame and engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts