Hobbyist Forums banner

O/T: 1st work-in-progress...diecast repaint

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  PWSchuh 
#1 · (Edited)
here's my first atempt. no i'm not repainting a JL...JL's look too good to repaint (in my opinion). it's a HW. here's the 2 body parts now...
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/paulsotherwebpage/wip/wip.html
i've got like 98% of the paint removed. may soak it over-night in Pine-Sol one last time. then may paint in the morning...or as soon as i can.
any suggestions or helpful comments would be apreciated.

btw, i've got the paint already and plan to paint it almond.

#5 ·
I actually soaked it 2 nights. each time i did i used a different kind of Pine-Sol the wife had in the house. therefore, i'm unsure if it was the 2 nights that did the trick (was hard to come off after the first night) or the second type of Pine-Sol.
if you want to know, the second Pine-Sol i used was the "orange engergy" kind (that's what it says on the bottle...has orange in it i guess.
as for buffing it, i haven't done anything purposely to buff it. is that something i should do?

#10 ·
ParkRNDL said:
Pine-Sol takes paint off diecast?!? I gotta try that...

--rick
I popped some HW castings in some Pine-Sol at about 9 last night and the paint has already started bubbling and falling off by 5:30 today. So it works!

Can anybody tell me where I can get spectraflame paint? I went to HL and found some Model Master Clear Green Acrylic, will that give a similar effect?

And also, where can I get "red rouge" for polishing? I've never seen it. I'm going to use my dremel and polish it, then try my hand at a spectraflame paint job.

#11 ·
Porsche911GT3 said:
I popped some HW castings in some Pine-Sol at about 9 last night and the paint has already started bubbling and falling off by 5:30 today. So it works!

Can anybody tell me where I can get spectraflame paint? I went to HL and found some Model Master Clear Green Acrylic, will that give a similar effect?

And also, where can I get "red rouge" for polishing? I've never seen it. I'm going to use my dremel and polish it, then try my hand at a spectraflame paint job.
Testors has some colors they call "candy transparent" that might look good over metal... I just used the Candy Transparent Red on a slot car body that was originally a metallic raspberry. It was molded in a metal-flake resin, and was just a little too pink, so I sprayed the red over it and it looks fantastic. Made the car nice and red and muted the metalflake just a little... Something to watch with the candy transparents is that they have to be done in VERY thin coats or they run and puddle along the edges and body seams...

hth--

--rick

#15 ·
Porsche911GT3 said:
You should be able to get it at almost any hardware store. It is also called "jeweler's rouge". Also the polish sold by Dremel in the small round bottle is red rouge, also found at hardware stores or anywhere Dremel accessories are sold, possibly even Wal Mart. :wave:

#17 ·
I actually don't remember for sure where I got mine, but I'm thinking it was either at Wal-Mart or Michael's Craft Store...

Just Googled up an eHobbies page which had a link to Testors' home page, where I surfed to this:

http://www.testors.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=36

If the link is wacky, just go to testors.com , click the link for Paints on the left, then click Testors Enamels-3 oz. which is the third up from the bottom of the list. On that page I see Transparent Blue, Transparent Candy Green, Transparent Candy Red, and Transparent Candy Grape all in spray cans. Jeez, I haven't seen the Grape in stores since I was a kid, I didn't know they still made it...

hth

--rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.