Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BANNED
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been able to purchase one of the O-gauge drag tracks I built some years ago with continuous rail in the three 8' powered sections. the two 8' shut down sections have original untouched 6" pieces of Aurora O-Gauge track installed for now. those might (read WILL) be converted into steel strips for quicker shut down of magnet cars, freeing up the 6" original pieces for other uses.
I also acquired the Trik Trax Drag Trax timing system with 60' sensors.
the track is in great shape and I need to clean surface rust off the rails.
in addition to my buddy Hank's strip(Wizzard) and our great friend Sgrig's strip(Wizzard), this strip will soon be in action for at least testing and tuning.
it has seen 100 MPH passes and I am rewiring the taps with a better type of connection.
I have heard that sjracer in S. Joisey and Joe Honeymoon in central Joisey both have strips now too.
this could lead to a rotating schedule in the 2012-13 winter season.
nothing has been discussed and this is just a suggestion, so comments, suggestions and snide remarks are welcome.
whether I ever even get this operational again, I am really happy to have it back.
there aren't too many timing systems that have REAL two (2) stage sensors for each lane and can allow one racer to "burn" the other down in the staging lights.
plus the computer is designed for only drag racing and has no purpose other than that. eliminating certain circumstances that arise with other systems.
thank you for reading my tirade about my momentary triumph....
back to your originally scheduled whatever now

LOL

:tongue:

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Glad you were able to get one of them back, Al!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just might try to participate in a mail in race one of these days just so someone else doesn't come in last! :tongue:

·
BANNED
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mystery?

OK, bear with me. I sold that track and timing system almost immediately to a local enthusiast. NOW!
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/alpink/monster armature and drag strip/
what is going on here?

poor pictures ... I know ... squint!

yeah, not much better, but what is it?

OK last one .... you know what it is!

so, I'll have more pics soon and results from testing the Dragon with light sensors.
:wave:

·
BANNED
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kiwi, I only have 18 feet total to work with, so the powered/timed section is going to have to be about 10' 3.75" which is an eight mile 1/64 scale. not sure how I am going to arrest the cars yet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
winter 2012/2013 racing

al that would be great we just have to coordinate
it. honeymoon joe was re-doing his kitchen
that comes first before racing so hopefully
we will have some news at hanks race.
see you guys on in oct.
lets go racin lets get this series started.

mac

·
Registered
877 Posts
Count me in, I would like to put a 18 ft Drag test track next to max road coarse.
Joe enough with that kitchen, He don`t miss a good deal in Buy & Sell LOL haha

·
BANNED
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finished, sort of

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/alpink/monster armature and drag strip/

as you know, I have been building a 1/64 scale 1/8 mile drag strip in the hallway of my apt.
using TOMY AFX track for now and incorporating the Auto World win lane bridge I have finally installed the Slot Dragon timing system and tested it.
the powered section of the track is about 12 feet, the timed area is 10 feet 3.75 inches. the remaining 6 feet are shut down.

for your delight ..............................

starting line showing timing system & christmas tree on temporary TV table

ET showing on the Slot Dragon system display

RT showing on display

view of track looking at finish line and lane winner bridge from Auto World

the system works very well. don't laugh too hard at my RTs, I was just testing and wanted to get something on the display for pics. one toggles between the ET and RT on the display. this can easily select bye runs for either lane. pro tree only, but that is what we usually race classes with. bracket racing uses the Sports Tree which is not available on this system currently. I need to let the guys in Thailand know that it all works as advertised and I am happy with a $100.00 drag timing system.
I probably could have bought the software and electronics for one of the PC based systems and had Sports Tree availability, but that requires a computer to load it on and the tree is only on the monitor. I just didn't have room for all that in the hallway and this, with another shelf mounted above the track, fits very nicely and can be more easily portable.

the first link above gives more pics of the project.

·
BANNED
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the finish line for the dragon is about 10 inches in front of the AW bridge. just threw the battery operated win light bridge in for kicks and giggles. it only stay lit for a few seconds, but still gives a quick indication of lane win without looking at the dragon display. I have been considering incorporating the bridge with the dragon, but for now, it will be a stand alone. thanks for the kind words guys.
got some additional shelves put up and got rid of the TV table. pics soon.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
What's cool about this is the fact that is is semi portable, expandable at your next location if you have room for a 1/4 mile set up, with minimal drywall patching ( unlike a night of racing with honda27. :p :p Looks like a cool set up, and for the price well worth it. Great report Al!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

P.S. I could do this, but the track would have to be on it's side, and that great 1/4 loop track that Rich uses for a decel would have to be about mid track.. :jest:

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
You been a busy boy.

Looks great Al. :cool:

How bout a shot of your stock room???? Show us!!!

·
BANNED
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ummm, I don't know. I'll have to get some out and see if they will fit on this Auto World/TOMY AFX track side by side.
bet back to you soon on that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts