Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to start working on my NX01 (god, I hate working with silver paints...) and I'm having a problem.

I've laid a base coat of tamiya plastic primer then silver leaf paint on the pylon supports. But how to I go about painting the details on the struts (such as the "E" like patterns)?

I've tried to paint it on using a brush, but the brush marks are just too obvious. I tried masking it (in hopes I could airbrush it), but the masking just isn't working well. I'm also hindered by the lack of silver shades from tamiya. I've mixed my own colors, but I still don't like the results.

So, model building experts, any suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to do this, but *BUMP*

Does no one have any suggestions? Come on, lots of people have tackled this problem - how did you do it?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Okay...

Testor's Metallizer paints are very nice, but MUST be airbrushed. Second, you must remember that metallic finish is dependent on it surface, which can be very delicate. After each coat of any metallic paint, spray it with some clear coat. Testor's has a specific clear coat for the Metallizer line. Clear coat BEFORE you apply any masking.

Testor's Metallizer paints come in buffing and non-buffing types.

If you use any other type of metallic finish paint, you will still want to apply a clear sealer before using any masking materials, otherwise the masking tape will lift off the surface finish of the metallic color. Guessing you've already found that problem.

The solution of choice these days is Future floor finish, a strong and glossy acryllic liquid that airbrushes VERY well and will not dull the metallic paint finish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.. OK, thanks for the suggestions.

But what about the raised details like the "E" structure on the plyons? Is everyone really masking it off? When I try that, the edges are a little too sharp and it all looks pretty fake. Also, getting masking tape into the recesses of the "E" is a pretty difficult task...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts