Hobbyist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I was kind of upset that the 1/350 Polar Lights NX didnt have some sort of very light aztecing pattern inscribed into the model to make things easier. Someone said that this would not be possible as the plates were seamless. Well, I was watching Enterprise last night, the one where Malcom gets wounded when the spike from a mine goes right through his leg. Since they were on the hull, you could see the Aztec paneling. There WERE seams. It was kind of like the cracks between blocks in a sidewalk, to give you an idea of how big they were. So they would have been small, but they definately could have been inscribed on the model.

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
Except that, even at 1/350 scale, you'd still not be able to make them out w/the naked eye.......

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could make it out, if it was done right. If you have ever done a Space Shuttle, you can see the lines that show the panels on the back, as well as the gray panels on the sides. They are faint, but you can see them. You could still use a magnifying glass if needed. At least you would have an idea of how to tape it for Aztecing.

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
What Rich said. Get crackin' on it w/that magnifying lense & scribing tool and get back to us. Remember that those same scribed lines need to be hair-thin to be in-scale. ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Now hold on, don't get all mean about this, I would like to see what can be done with fine scribing. MicroMark makes some great scribing tools that give fantastic control. Just because I wouldn't agree with it at this scale does not invalidate the idea.

I personally think that model aircraft panel lines are all over exaggerated, especially in 1:72 scale.

·
Curmudgeon
6,639 Posts
Griffworks said:
What Rich said. Get crackin' on it w/that magnifying lense & scribing tool and get back to us. Remember that those same scribed lines need to be hair-thin to be in-scale. ;)
Nawww, at best, hair-thin at 1/350 scale would equate to a gap of approximately 0.689" in the 1/1 world; entirely unacceptable in aerospace engineering. :eek: At 1/350 scale the scribed lines would have to be approximately 1/200th of the width of a human hair to fall within normal parameters...depending upon the acceptable plus-or-minus variation, that is. :p

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
F91 said:
Mean? I'm serious.....
Same here. If the young man has the knowledge and abilities that the rest of us don't have, by all means, let's see what he can do. Especially at this scale.

OK, perhaps a smudgeon in the persnickety range. :devil:

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
It's not that no one is interested, but how you presented it that's caused at least me to leave the above acerbic comments. As has been mentioned in the past, you come across as having the " know-it-all" attitude that appears to grate on the nerves of several of us here. Just relax and stop trying to impress us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.