Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there built more than two? My second is assembled and I've run into the same issue where the left nacelle pylon, upper and lower engineering hull come together to create a very bad gap. For my third ship I intend to assemble the entire rear engineering section, pylons, and nacelles, then slide the whole assembly into the saucer section. If anyone out there has already done this, give me shout.
The pic below shows the correct way to hold an NX-01 ..like a pizza box :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I cut off all the alignment pins in the rear section. I assembled the pylons and the top sections making sure everything lined up. I then attached this to the top saucer section.

I added internal braceing between the top saucer and the upper part to get the pylons to sit straight. No sagging nacelles here.

I cut the bottom section attachemnt point to the main saucer section before attaching the bottom section to the pylon assembly. This allows me to fix any alignment problems if there are any.

So bascially I have the top saucer and complete rear section and the bottom saucer.

When I bring these 2 together this leaves a slight gap between the bottom section and the bottom saucer section that I will fill with sheet styrene, putty and sand smooth if needed.

I did not light up this model but I will on the next one.

Alex
Styrofoam Guy

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
F91 said:
I agree with Styro, the alignment pins in the saucer have to go. Looks good Ivan!
-Thanks!

Unless there should be more pins other than on the 'NX-01 Tips' thread (PDF file), I did that procedure on my first kit, (still had rear impulse gaps) didn't do it on this kit, yet still had the need to use Comissioner Gordon's red phone and call Mr. Putty. Hopefully these issues won't arise on the Enterprise NCC-1701 due this fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Yes, I used all kinds of clamps for that joint, I used very little putty. It was probably the hardest part of the kit, so far. I plan on fitting my ccfl's in the nacelles tonight.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Where may I download the "NX-01 Tips" PDF file?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..I don't remember..it may have been on the Polar Lights area of HobbyTalk.

·
Registered
373 Posts
User1127

Ah yes this is what I found would pull the nacelles out of alignment. If I applied clamps to close the gap it would pull the top section down and also pull the nacelles down. To solve it I cut the attachment point for the lower section to the saucer section.

So where part 4 is glued to part 2 (lower saucer section) I cut these attachment point off. I glued part 4 to part 3 to close up the gaps. This will give me a gap betwen parts 4 and part 2 but I will put styrene shims in there and putty and file for a smooth finish. This will also keep the nacelles straight

Alex
Styrofoam Guy

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
MangoMan,

Thanks, I'll download it as soon as I get home from work!
:)
David aka charonjr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts