Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked this casting but man were the factory tires HIDEOUS, (car wouldnt roll due to the tires rubbing in the wheel wells) along with alot of other releases with huge tires, so i really backed off buying GL to see if they would fix the TIRE issue. Over a year later they are starting to show up so i grabbed a few extra at a discount store that carries them for $3.49 everyday price (the price that is right for a quality diecast car) so i could fix them up to how they should have be done from the start!!!

I do give them credit for listening and making changes, Way to go GL on the new wheels and rims keep it up!!! I know it all takes time but if it was my company NO casting would be cast until EVERY tire and rim were redone, because with that solution it would make it happen alot faster!!!! Remember the tires and rims make the car great and seperates you from the pack just like the crust makes a pie and pizza great or bad ones make it just another one in a sea of ok ones.

Next step is for GL to step up and sell tire sets so all of us that open our cars can make them look like the Beauties they are ment to be, they make $$ and we are happy, its a win win for both sides. Resize all the tires and rims that were made way to big & sell them for $2 a set of 4. Only sell them on the GL website or heck make them UTHC only (being able to purchase tire sets alone would make me join again). I know that I would get about 50 sets in my first order. What ya say GL Ya ready to make some more$$$$ because i know a TON of us ARE ready to re tire and rim some GL castings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pics below of how much better a car looks with the right scale tires.

Factory Issue

We Ready to CRUSH some Cars!!!!! OH YA!!!!

Much Better!!!

Car Crushing days are over!!!

They look nice and proportionate to the Car, Don't They??? Nice Job On these GL!!!

These new tires have a much softer and pliable rubber also not the super hard stuff like on the bigger ones!!! WTG GL

·
Registered
729 Posts
GL, PLEASE SELL US SOME CORRECTED WHEELS! I will update my entire collection with the correct size, because they look soooo good!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx, maybe we can get a GL rep to weigh in and let us know the possibility of some replacement sets of correct tire / rims for all our older GL casts!!!! Remember where there is a will there is a WAY!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Ice...

Nice work! It looks like you left the rivets alone, so you must have just pulled the wheels off of the axels. Was it difficult to do? I've got a bunch of GL Mustangs I'd like to do wheel swaps with.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Looks way more awesomerer!
Not meaning to be a dink, but if you went the extra step to lower it 3-4 scale inches it would really bring that sucker home imo!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looks way more awesomerer!
Not meaning to be a dink, but if you went the extra step to lower it 3-4 scale inches it would really bring that sucker home imo!

I agree. Not that you're a dink.;) That the car would look better lowered. But the wheel swap goes miles in the right direction!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks way more awesomerer! but if you went the extra step to lower it 3-4 scale inches it would really bring that sucker home imo!
I hear ya, thought about it but with just the wheel swap it looked so much better that i was satisfied for now, someday i may take on the task of lowering the ones that need it out of my 60+ GL mustangs but now i have other irons in the fire

Thanx for the comments Guys, Still waiting for a GL rep to weigh in, i see they are posting here so maybe SOON.
They Do listen to us most the time so lets campaign and put the pressure on to make us some replacement wheel Sets!!!!!! Once Again easy $$ for them once the new wheels and tires are designed!!!!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Thanx for the comments Guys, Still waiting for a GL rep to weigh in, i see they are posting here so maybe SOON.
They Do listen to us most the time so lets campaign and put the pressure on to make us some replacement wheel Sets!!!!!! Once Again easy $$ for them once the new wheels and tires are designed!!!!
I agree.... replacement wheel sets would be great. The right wheels make great GL castings excellent models. Wheels definitely make up half the look of the car. Bring on the replacement wheels!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi everyone,

The comments about the wheels are good and much appreciated. So...that said, we have discussed wheel and tire packs several times. However it isn't quite as easy as it sounds as usual. Not only do we have to make them, our stores/customers have to want them and buy them. And you - the collectors who ask for them - have to know where to get them.

So I have a few questions:

- How many wheels and tires per pack would be preferred?
- Is an assortment of wheel styles preferred or just one style rim per package?
- How many people would be interested in this and how many sets would you get if there was say, 16 wheels in a pack?
- What kinds of tires would everyone, a specific brand or a mix of things (white letter, red lines, white lines, etc.)?

This is not an official announcement, one way or the other. Nor can I guarantee we will do this. But like I said, we have been discussing this and I would love to hear some more specifics from our collectors so I can present the case for it at one of our meetings.

Thanks,

- Matt

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Matt:

First, just let me thank you for taking the time once again to listen to collectors.

To answer you questions:

1. I would like to swap the wheels on a bunch of my Mustangs, so I would need quite a few. In fact, your new wheel styles are nice enough that I would even consider using them on on other manufacturer's cars if the scale looks good. There are also some of us that would use them in diorama set ups, just like the garage accessories. I'd say at least packs of six...maybe even a dozen or 16 like you mentioned.

2. I'd like to see an assortment of wheel styles in each pack. Maybe you could group wheel styles by make or manufacturer. For example, you could have a "Mustang" wheel set, or if you wanted it to be more general, a "Ford" wheel set.

3. Count me in as one person who is definitely interested for the reasons mentioned above. There are so many of your great castings from earlier series that would benefit from these wheels.

4. I'd like to see an assortment of tires. Definitely white letters with a few redlines thrown in for good measure. That white with red stripe 1965 Mustang GT would look killer with some redline tires... so would the upcoming black with red stripe '65 Mustang GT.

Thanks again for asking,

Skip

·
Registered
754 Posts
Let me echo SD64 :)thumbsup:) somewhat, Matt:

My experience-- Any retail set of custom wheels and tires seem terribly expensive; I'm sure, largely driven by the percentage of cost of packaging. (More at the end)

I would suggest 8 wheels and tires, coupled by a couple of shop tools or minor decal set (or both) and use the paper insert to have a miniture 'For Sale' sign or vintage-style ad/poster as an added bonus the buyer could cut-out to throw in the windshield or attach to the side of the display. Decals wouldn't need to be contingency-sponsor. They could be license plates the MFRs used in ads (FORD, USA-1, Dodge Revolution,1967,...), period fad decals (smiley faces, flowers, peace-signs, music groups, anti-war, anti-peace, military, state inspection, etc. Nothing big, 1"x1".

I, too, think 'By-Manufacturer' where one set of wheels are distinctly that manufacturer-- 10-Spokes/Styled-Steels for Fords, etc, -- and the second set a generic wheel they all used, Cragars, Keystones, Magstars (used by more than one OEM), or the OEM favorite, Magnums. Likewise two different style of tires. Maybe street slicks for sets with custom wheel sets. OEM tires varied greatly, I'm sure you're aware, so two OEM styles which could apply to a single MFR could easily be be made without anything exotic. There are some wheels, I've not seen in 1:64, such as 200S, Cosmic, BBS, Motor Wheel spyders, or the daisys used in the Trans-Am series. These new toolings could be used on future releases and specialty series... Did I forget baby moons?

To carry-through the Greenlight chase; randomly insert greenies in for the generic set! Separately, randomly insert greenlight labeled tires in for on set! Never in the same package though, that would spoil the number of variations!!! (... as I put on my capitalist-retailer thought cap) If you wanted to HIDE the fact it was a greenie set of wheels, make a shop set that has a fifth wheel and tire rather than tools; display the regular rim, and have the greenies inside hidden by packaging... That might nip stockmen skimming them from cases before the shelves.

Don't forget axles

I started out with price; I'll end on the same note. Not more than a car, or not much more with a sweet package. At that point folks will start to look for marked-down, clearance items for donation parts.

If you got this far, thanks for humoring me:freak:-- guess I coulda, shoulda put this in with the UTH site, but I got the hair here first-

Best regards to everyone-- Tom Johnson-Kubler:wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The extreem difficulty of removing GL wheels without wrecking them may be beyond the scope of most people, but I'm all for it. Maybe include a set of directions like a model kit so beginners might not be intimidated.
As for the other particulars, let me just say some accurate '60s style gasser type wheels/tires (pie crust Race Masters Cheater slicks, etc) would be dreamy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts