Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Wonderfest is over and is in the books. I had a great time going to the demos this year and pick some intresting kits and toys. I really enjoyed Friday night seeing some for the new stuff that Cult and Federation Model had on thier tables. The contest room had some really great build-ups this year. Over all I had a really great time and meet some really great people.
Now let's hear about your experiances at Wonderfest.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
It seemed a bit slower this year. Overall had a great time. Went to Scifi U for the first time and got an Ironman kit. Thanks to all who donated to this.

Spent all my alloted money in the dealers room. Got all my kits I was looking for.

Met some great people that were trooping in costume. One talked me into putting mine on and trooping a bit. I did so and had a blast.

Met some people from here, SSM, RPF, and RI. Hope to see you guys next years as well.

Overall, a great weekend.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It seemed a bit slower this year. Overall had a great time. Went to Scifi U for the first time and got an Ironman kit. Thanks to all who donated to this.

Spent all my alloted money in the dealers room. Got all my kits I was looking for.

Met some great people that were trooping in costume. One talked me into putting mine on and trooping a bit. I did so and had a blast.

Met some people from here, SSM, RPF, and RI. Hope to see you guys next years as well.

Overall, a great weekend.
Yes much slower- attendence had to be down, sales looked it, too. Not much of a guest draw IMO, maybe W Fest needs ro revitalize itself- all big cons have to every few years to keep fresh

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I would have to agree that compared to the previous three Fests in a row that I attended this seemed down maybe 20% this year. I also didn't think the dealers room overall was quite up to the previous years in things to buy and there were even a couple of empty tables. The room filled up with buyers at 10 AM Saturday but once the initial rush was over I found browsing through the room easier than in the past, much less crowded. That said, two or three dealers did say they had darn good sales though. I spent about the same as previous years, $250 give or take $20.

The contest entries were definitely fewer and finding table space, particularly for the horror figure category was much easier, there was a fair amount of empty space when all the entries were in. The previous years that category absolutely filled the tables. And I was talking with Denis Lange for a bit in the room on Sunday and we both felt the overall quality wasn't as good although there were some stand out efforts in the contest for sure.

The after hours stuff was fun and interesting and I liked the Friday night get together with new products on display by Moebius, Cult, and Federation Models. However, no free beer, what happened???

I also attended SciFi U Friday and as usual Steve, Federation, and the assorted instructors did a great job and this workshop is an extremely valuable learning experience, especially for the minimal amount you spend to attend.

Overall I'd say the Fest was quite good, maybe a bit down from the previous three years I have attended, but still very good. I wonder a bit if maybe some people sitting on the fence might have ended up doing other things with family or such because of the Memorial Day weekend. I think going back to mid-May next year might help and a bit of refresh of things as mentioned above might help as well.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
As far as attendance, I think it was pretty good. Not as huge a rush on Saturday, but a lot more people around on Sunday.
And most dealers I talked to agreed. They were worried with the slower start in sales on Saturday, but they were pretty steady all weekend, and the majority said they had a really good show.

I think the guest list was ok. Nothing huge as far as my interests, but there was enough to keep me busy. You get too much going on with the guest list and it gets frustrating for attendees like me. I need to have to to hit the dealers room, the contest room, and squeeze in some demos / discussion somewhere. If there is too much I really want to see, then I can't see it all. One trip around the dealers room takes a couple hours. By then, the contest is open and that is another couple hours That only leaves 3 hours of show time on Saturday for anything else, along with the second trip to the dealers room.

The contest did seem a bit down this year. Not so much on entries. They came close to the same number as last year. It was the distribution and the size that made it seem thinner in that regard. The humor table was overflowing by 8:30. Anime table was about full. Both of those are usually a whole lot lighter.
Also, this was the 2nd year of having horror split from sci-fi / fantasy figures. Last year still saw a lot of overlap. This year they were separated much better. Fantasy was full, but horror looked pretty thin.
What seemed down to me was the quality. And I think some of that was because there wasn't one or two entries that just floored you. Generated the buzz. Most years it's pretty obvious what is going to be in the running for best of show. This year was much more of a toss up.

I did really enjoy the Friday night festivities. Much better using the main hallway and a few side rooms. Wish they would have gotten the word out better about Frank's thing on Saturday. I didn't know anything about it, or I would have been there to hear all the announcements.
His was one of the tables that were empty most of the day Saturday. A couple others were people who got hung up trying to get to the show. I guess air travel was a bit problematic this year for a lot of people.
Personally, I like the show better when it is on the holiday weekend. Much easier for me to work out the logistics and get time off from work for it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree I like the split on the contest entries between Scfi and Horror. Plus i did pick up some good deals

1 - 8 of 8 Posts