Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here you go guys....I finally got pics done of my latest slot car project....a Blown Hemi Rat Rod coupe..... :thumbsup:

Let's start with the body.......it's a beautiful resin kit that I got from a guy in France......the kit came with the Blown Hemi,wheelie bars,interior piece and superbly detailed driver, and an awesome chopped top coupe.

The kit is designed to fit on a narrow style Tomy Turbo F1 chassis.......I changed the wheels to some AFX "Steelies" to give it a vintage "Rat Rod" look.....and I added a set of Tyco 440X2 foam tires on the rear....to give it some "meat"

This is a spectacular resin kit........and on this chassis it's smokin' hot! :cool:

Anyhow, enjoy the pics guys :thumbsup:

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm glad you guys like this project.....it took me a bit of time to gather the parts and such....but the end result was worth it I think.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yep-yep-yep,
It was well worth it--great detail, perfect stance, chopped-top, and all motor--the way I like em'. Time well spent...

cheers..,

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AfxToo said:
Very nicely done. No flames? You gotta have flames!

I thought about flames man........but alot of Rat Rods don't have flames....only black suede primer. I'm a HUGE fan of flamed cars........but in this instance I liked the all black look.......I thought it gives it a real sinister look :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hey TX,

The motor and radiator shroud are prime candiates for Alclad Chrome paint.

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vaBcHRog said:
Hey TX,

The motor and radiator shroud are prime candiates for Alclad Chrome paint.

Roger Corrie

I've got a friend who keeps telling me about that stuff....it's like $20 a bottle,right?

I could have easily chromed all of that stuff out......BUT, that's not exactly the look I was shooting for here. Rat rods are all about piecing together a beater car with as little cash as possible......with vintage powerplants,vintage wheels and etc. There is usually minimal chrome....and NO billet aluminum parts like on most of today's street rods.

Rat Rods are very reminisciant of the 50's era street rods.......

I used "Bare metal foil" on the valve covers and radiater....... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
TX Street Racer said:
I've got a friend who keeps telling me about that stuff....it's like $20 a bottle,right?

I could have easily chromed all of that stuff out......BUT, that's not exactly the look I was shooting for here. Rat rods are all about piecing together a beater car with as little cash as possible......with vintage powerplants,vintage wheels and etc. There is usually minimal chrome....and NO billet aluminum parts like on most of today's street rods.

Rat Rods are very reminisciant of the 50's era street rods.......

I used "Bare metal foil" on the valve covers and radiater....... :thumbsup:
ALCLAD Make several different metal paints. They were made for the aircraft modelers.

Roger Corrie

·
Registered
161 Posts
Love the rod TX! I cant get enough of the old style cars. Can you get more from your 'French Connection'? I got some smokin' 1/64 scale motors that would look totally killer in car like that, and I'm itchin' for a new project.

·
Banned
1,462 Posts
Great looking car!

I've never bought anything from that Thierry fellow that does those bodies, but MAN, they sure turn out nice looking!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Nice job!!!!!!! I like it just the way it is.Definetly a rat rod you have there!!!!!

If you want to try something on a future project that needs a chrome look,but not spend 20 bucks on a bottle of paint,take a small bottle of Testors Chrome Silver paint,turn it upside down until the heavy "chrome" paint settles all to the cap.
Slowly turn the bottle over so as not to mix the paint,unscrew the cap,and use the paint on the cap to paint whatever it is you want to guive that chrome look to.

Not quite bare metal foil,but a lot easier,and it looks pretty good too!!!!!

Keep the custom pics coming!!

Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts