Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Wallys Sat. night to pick up something and hit the diecast aisle. Not much of anything on the pegs. After checking out the other brands, a man and a women both walk up to the HW pegs with open boxes full of HW's, and start filling the pegs. I'm standing behind watching, looking to see what's going up (figured they already went through the boxes based on how the cars were messed up). They're asking each other if they got this one for their kid yet, yeah I got one last week, have you seen this one, and so on. "Are there any more in the back" one asks the other? I didn't hear the answer.
Anyway, nothing new that interest me, and one Mystery car (already split open).
Turns out they are employees. Not one employee in the store had the blue WM outfit on that night. Great! No wonder I have only found one TH (actually hidden behind a toaster in the small appliance aisle, the LaTroca). Probably the same reason another clerk told me I wouldn't find a TH as I browsed through freshly stocked pegs two years ago. It also takes quite some time to find anything that's new here.
If it wasn't for the fact they are only 5 minutes from me and we do a lot of shopping there, I'd never set foot in the place.
Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't feel so bad. A friend of mine who used to work a TRU told me the manager there takes out all the good stuff before taking the boxes out to the pegs. Go figure!!!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
It happens everywhere, sorry to say it. I have never found a TH in my local TRU. Since 1998! Not one! Come on now you should be able to find ONE lousy TH in almost 9 years! In fact, my total score in almost 9 years from all TRUs I've ever visited, ONE lousy TH, the 1998 Salt Flat Racer. Not ONE TH in any TRU since 1998. Anyone want to guess why I hate TRU and wouldn't shed one tear if they all closed?

I saw a TRU employee at the last Kmart HWs Day (at Sears no less). This is the second time I've seen him there. Asked him if he wasn't getting enough cars at TRU. Strangely enough, he didn't answer me either time. At least luck was on our side this year, we got called for a case and he didn't. There was only a couple THs and he didn't get any, thankfully.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have been collecting HWs for over 10 years, and have NEVER found a TH at a Wally or TRU. The only ones I have ever found at K-Marts were on K-Days. Most of the ones I have found, and trust me there have not been many, were from food stores or drug stores. It's frustrating that managers and stockers get the majority of them, and most likely a large percentage end up on the bay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The funny thing is that they are lurking among us in the forums too. LOL. I have been collecting over ten years as well and I haven't found a th at tru. I recently found one at KB but left it in the peg by accident. LOL. It was the black 57 chevy with the black wheels. Luckily I found it at a flea market with the chrome weels. lol.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Havent found a T-Hunt at Wally's since December of last year. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I happened to walk into a TRU when the pegs were full of the Pixar Cars line. A woman was standing next to me grabbing the hard-to-find cars. I saw the blue Mater in her hand and asked if she saw any more. She said no and handed it to me. I was surprised, but then she told me she was an employee and was getting all the good ones before she punched in. I was lucky to be there at that moment, but felt bad for everyone who came in after she took all the good stuff.

- JJ
www.hollywood-diecast.com

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have never found a TH in the wild.
Ive found them at KMart day, but thats about it.

it seems like the best place to find hotwheels are Drug Stores and Supermarkets.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
chip douglas said:
for this year i found all 12 of them for this year first time ever for me lmk thanks
I'll bet you did. You are the guy that tried to jam me for $25 for a Chick Hicks for my kids! Thanks! Well I finally found one at Wally for $3.19.

So which store do you or your connection work for? TRU? Wally? KB?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel your pain

I know how you feel - can't trust anyone ... On the other hand - I swear people pay these store people off if California - because I can never get my hands on anything good. Keep your head up and happy hunting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dont work at wal-mart but if I did and worked in toys, it would be very hard not to look through the boxes. Would'nt it?!

I'm glad none of the stores around me are like that. Where I used to live though 4/5 stores had collectors as employees and you cant find anything.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have found about 4 THs at Walmart in the last 6-7 years from a yellow/gold bottom latroca,2 442s(found them almost at the same time) and a phaeton.I don't really make it a priority to find them I just luckily find them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts