Hobbyist Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Should have added.....in case anyone wants to buy me a birthday present, you can find what I want at BigDog. Wonder if they have a gift registry? LOL I'll take the HPI center shocks, the Silva side shocks, the Track Attack body posts (I'd settle for the nylon threaded posts with the purple caps if you are strapped for cash!), the Tribo comm drops, a new set of BSR Spec fronts, ceramic bearings. If that isn't enough ideas, I can continue! LOL

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Eric, I'll give you the exact measurement of my shocks later today if I can get to the trailer. I do know that the lr shock is shorter and some folks had speculated that THAT might be the reason I was blowing the shock. I am having a problem getting my 315 in the lr without bottoming out the shock. Would changing the position of the shock help? Like maybe running it taller or shorter or under the shock mounting plate?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lisa, the wrong shock length will cause the side shocks to blow out...I can give you my measurements off my pro-2 saturday if that will help let me know.....

Brandon_25
Team HD
SMC
Bandit Bodies
Bulit motorsports
Finishline
Kimbrough
Pope Paint

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Brandon, what if I just hand you a car and let you tweak? LOL Would you prefer a 510, a Pro (not 2) or a variety of Adrenalines?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Lisa
I will turn this one over to Brandon, without seeing what chassis you have and where you have the standoffs mounted on the chassis, measurements of the shocks wont help me. Just show him your ride and he should be able to help ya out.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lisa,Jon Faris runs a adreanaline in spec runs great.....510 should work great too,Adreanaline is a short car....I think the shorty pro 2 is gonna be the best car for bms....Jus a tic stiffer than the pro-2...Need anything else jus holler

Brandon_25
Team HD
SMC
Bandit Bodies
Bulit motorsports
Finishline
Kimbrough
"Pope Paint"

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Lisa,why do you run 315 grams?Is that what someone told you it HAD to be,or is that what you found comfortable? Every chassis is different,i've saw cars down here run everything from 11 1/2 oz to 15 and still be fast.Set the car to what you like.You can use this as a starting point but don't be afraid to adjust.That's what those little nuts on those shocks are for.If you're having a shock come apart,if you feel it's too short simply get a longer ball cup,add shimms to it or cut down a long 1 to fit.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
more info

I was given this info a few yrs. back at Sandhills by either Greg or Roman and it has worked for me:To measure rear shocks;take out the rear axle and the center shock.lay the car on a flat surface.with the side shocks installed without the springs on,using a set of calipers,measure the distance between the inside of the shock cap and the body of the shock.this should measure somewhere between .130 -.150.you should not have a problem with this measurement,any more than this you run the risk of pulling them apart,any less you will bottom out.Too much oil will cause them to blow out too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The 315 is lower than what "everyone" else is running. Most of the folks I've talked to are running 325 in the left rear. And to be brutally honest, I've spent 95% of my on-track time trying to figure out why I kept having radio hits. Since I got the PCM receiver, that appears to have gone away. And at the same time, I was working on NOT scrubbing off speed in the corners, but after Fred found out how soft my rf was, we switched with the lf since it was within a hundreth of the same size, and that fixed the scrubbing issue. So NOW finally, I can start to work on what might or might not feel good. One thing I do know that didn't feel good was the small wing. I didn't try small wing with big side dams, but small wing with small wing side dams didn't feel good at all.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
DK, what are you doing up at this hour? LOL By the way, you have mail........but make sure you read Runt's comments about John Farris's chassis up there. LOL

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
couldn't sleep,headed to work,yea i saw that,they're all just a piece of graphite, and given enough time they'll all run decent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rear End Spacing

Can someone explain to me the effects of moving the rear wheels in or out?
I now this is a general question. But if you had a neutral handling car what effects would moving the LR out do, LR in do and also moving the RR out or RR in?

Thanks in avance!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Think of the rear tires as levers. If you move the RR out, it has more leverage (mechanical advantage) to push that side of the car foward (rotate). So you need to balance the rear tire's leverage to loosen, tighten the car up.The same is true on the LR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lets say that I am getting into a corner good and when coming out the car keeps turning to the inside. Would you move the LR out so it would have more traction? Or would you move the RR in? Or both?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sounds like the LR is lifting off the track some. Crank a bit of a round into the RR side shock to put more weight on the LR. And take a bit of a round out of the LR side shock equal to the added amout on the other side.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I had this particular problem yesterday! Before you make any adjustments, check the LR tire to see if it's gone soft, assuming that you are running caps. If it is soft, change the tire! Also, check to see what width the fast racers are running on the rear. You can try spacing the LR out a little farther (creating a wider wheel base) to stop the car from turning in from the center of the turn to the outside of the turn.

·
Registered
61 Posts
NewTooOval said:
Lets say that I am getting into a corner good and when coming out the car keeps turning to the inside. Would you move the LR out so it would have more traction? Or would you move the RR in? Or both?
lisa and bob are right on. moving the left rear out doesn't really cause the car to 'push', it causes it to track up to a little higher line on exit. moving the right rear out causes it to track to a lower line on entry...also helps exit a little. the wider the rear track is, the more stable the car is also. generally if you have a car spinning from the center off, check to see if it's turning too hard or if it's loosing traction in the back. if it's turning too hard, try a stiffer lf spring, or put a shim on top of the kingpin. if it's spinning, try more weight on the left rear, check to see if the center shock is too soft, or possibly has too much droop in the pod.

oh, and lisa, my side shocks are 2.874 inches long.

~adam

121 - 137 of 137 Posts