Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with an answer to why my havok speed controller would run fine in warm up laps and then stop for a minute and have no throttle if i keep going without stopping for any length of time it will keep running. If i stop for more than a second it seems to shut down.All i have to do it turn it off and then back on and it works fine unless i stop again. Please any help for me or should i junk it, i would hate to do that since its brand new:confused:

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
First go through the setup procedure again. Then retest. If it continues, call Novak support. You can return and if it is brand new, it should be under warranty. They will repair or replace free. Even if it is out of warranty, the repair or replacement is very reasonable fee.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
When you have the issue, have you checked the lights to see if you are getting a light or lights that indicate the problem. The instruction sheet that came with the Havoc lists what the different lights and combinations mean.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the lights go out.When you open the throttle nothing happens lights or power.Thanks for the advise:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i had the same problem and check your motor and make sure it has more then three clogs thats what my problem was it was the motor and not the speedo when it shuts down if you hit the throtle trim up or down it should work again

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the motor is a novak 17.5 that came with it and im not sure what a clog is.Can anyone suggest a good speed control for 1 cell oval?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
the novak that u have is probley good take your motor put a gear on put the set screw up and turn it it should clog six times not three sounds like yours is going to clog three

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I have 3 differant Novaks that all "clog" 5? times per 1rotation. Whats interesting, is that they all were "weak" runners till I put in a Trinity/ epic style motor with the exact same wind,roll out,esc,batts and it runs very strong,(clogs 3 times per rotation). I have never heard of this before, however there seems to be somthing too it. Shouldn't there only be 2 magnetic fields in the arm of a brushless motor?? I have much to learn!!!

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
A clog is a type of footwear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog_(shoe)) or a stopage in a drain.

A cog is part of a gear system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cog) or various other things.

What you should call these is magnetic detents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detent) - resistance to turning caused by the attraction of the rotor magnet poles to the stator segments.

Since the Novak and similar 540 size motors have two pole magnets and 3 pole stators there should be six magnetic detents per revolution. It is easiest to check this with a pinion that has a multiple of 6 teeth (that are big enough to easily see, like 48P) such as an 18T or 24T pinion.

If the force required to move from one detent to the next is not the same for all six detents something is wrong. If you can only feel three, that means the three you can't feel are really weak.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ha, ha, OK! Cleared up several issues with one post! Good man. Thanks TA Man, like I said: I have much to learn. Very clear explanation, and upon closer examination, you have decribed exactely whats happening. I do feel 6 total detents, but three inbetween ones are very weak! Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
321 Posts
Can anyone help me with an answer to why my havok speed controller would run fine in warm up laps and then stop for a minute and have no throttle if i keep going without stopping for any length of time it will keep running. If i stop for more than a second it seems to shut down.All i have to do it turn it off and then back on and it works fine unless i stop again. Please any help for me or should i junk it, i would hate to do that since its brand new:confused:
wondering what transmitter you have and reciver? are the plugs into the reciver good try a diff reciver if you can .. even if you have streeing might be another issue with reciver just one more thing to test before jumpin gun .. are you running a reciver battery pack ? or off the motor pack? if off motor pack is it nhm or lipo ? what is volts of pack? same whats volts of reciver pack if runnign it ? lots of things to check ..
almost sounds like voltage cut off ....

·
Registered
214 Posts
The first thing I would do is turn the lipo cutoff to off. I have a sensative esc that has problems till I turn it off and back on, it was the lipo cutoff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts