Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a good sign with the holidays fast approaching. Just look at this board and count how many threads are about cars LOL.

I have collected JL since I found those first Muscle Cars in 1994 at a Walmart in Manassass, VA.

Depressing.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Yep, was out last weekend, saw some new GLs at Menards, but nothing new in JLs

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
your right. Have not seen any new Johnny Lightning cars in quite a while.
Dont you love it when a company purchases a great selling line,
Like Johnny Lightning, Then doesnt do anything worthwhile with it? :drunk:

Ah, RC2/Ertl.......................The Grinch who killed diecast.:tongue:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Nothing new over here inthe Pacific Northwest either. TRU is putting out lots of older series, Like the Grey Olds that RC2 called Black With Flames, Racing Legends and lots of Back Stock.
Tacoma is pretty dry for JL. M2 and GL are making strong showings.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I have seen a few new JL's in the stores but they are nothing that I want to buy. Been at this since 94 too. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My local Walmart has a bunch of the 40th Anniversary cars, but they've really worn out their welcome. They've been hanging there for weeks. The TRU near work has had the same handful of Johhnies since summer, so nothing to see there, either.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
The only new JLs around here are the 40th cars from release 7 (still waiting for release 6). NEVER saw release 3 of the Lightning Rods here in CT. And Mini-Motors.com already has them on clearance!!!:freak:

Was talking with NWovalfan last night about the 'JL Drought'. I said that whenever RC2 decides to come back to market with metal-base cars, they should hit the market with a real nice 5-pack or 10-pack. Really make a big splash with newer castings (how about a Vista Cruiser with wood paneling?) and new castings (where the heck is that Monza we've been teased with??). Just something to give us a jump start so we can fall in love all over again!
Personally, the Forever 64 line isn't gonna do it for me; I will be very selective with those. What I want are rubber tires, metal bases and great paint jobs!:thumbsup:

Leave the guitars and pizzas at home, please......:tongue:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Not a good sign with the holidays fast approaching. Just look at this board and count how many threads are about cars LOL.

I have collected JL since I found those first Muscle Cars in 1994 at a Walmart in Manassass, VA.

Depressing.
Agreed :( It became depressing when they started to back out of pretty much every store around here. The only places that seem to still have whisps of JL's are TRU(who've had the same pegwarmer Racing Legends since last spring) and WalMart(who count on always having the ugly, cheap looking 40th sets to keep their pegs nice and warm)

I was looking through my old JL's the other day, and it made me miss them!!!

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
I seen 5 cases of platic carded jls yesterday. Looked like a mixed case. But they were old stock and not that exciting. For some reason I was thinking the white lighynings have a green stripe along the side of the package. I find myself in a new hobby since I can't find new jls. Sports cards....

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Is there even a holiday set this year? I seem to recall Tom Z. saying last year at Lightning fest that there would be one this year.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Personally, the Forever 64 line isn't gonna do it for me; I will be very selective with those. What I want are rubber tires, metal bases and great paint jobs!:thumbsup:

Leave the guitars and pizzas at home, please......:tongue:
DadsCoronet, I'm in total agreement with you.
The 40 Years JLs aren't doing anything for me.
And I can't find them locally either.
As for guitars and pizzas; I wouldn't be buying them.
Personally, I don't care for the Camaro with the pizza sign on the roof.
Have collectors really taken a choose look at the sign on the roof?
I rest my case.
It has been a very dismal and bleak year as a longtime collector of JL castings.
I too would like to see rubber "Real Wheels"TM tires, metal bases, great paint jobs WITHOUT any flaws.

On a positive note, I have been adding older JL castings to my collection this year.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
995 Posts
I found some JL release 1 cars at Wally World today. Would these be the 2010 release? They are on a nice new-er looking card.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I found some JL release 1 cars at Wally World today. Would these be the 2010 release? They are on a nice new-er looking card.
Sounds like the 'Forever 64' series, which is the replacement for the 40th series.:( But secretly, I hope I'm wrong and it's a new release of the JL mainline!!! One can only hope......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Ah, RC2/Ertl.......................The Grinch who killed diecast.:tongue:
You said it all for me right there....RC2 has killed pretty much everything they have ever touched. I knew the writing was on the wall the day they purchased JL.

I quit collecting JL over a year ago and have to say that I have not missed it one bit. I do miss the glory days, but whatever they want to call this current incarnation, I am ok without.

I do admit that I am sorry for you guys that are active JL collectors. I do wish for your sakes that the times were a bit better right now. I still hold out hope it will turn around and produce adult collectibles again, but I would think those days are long gone.

Just the rumblings of a former JL collector!

Ward

·
Registered
218 Posts
i've been collecting johnny lightning cars since late '94 or early '96 and the last new cars from them i seen before they stopped was the 13 customs cars and that was over a year ago.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Ward, you are my hero.
Nail hit right on the head.

I wish it wasn't the case, but it seems it is.
I knew deep down, but didn't and (still) don't want to believe it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts